Skip to main content

...the many things that you remember as a kid or teenager...

Remember phone boxes 😂
I'm surprised there aren't more deaths with people aimlessly walking across the road eyes pinned to their phones and their ears plugged up with earplugs!
…in the 50’s Superman used to get changed in Phone boxes… nowadays he would have to get changed in Portaloo portable toilets or something… what is the World coming to?… cheers.

Remember phone boxes 😂
I'm surprised there aren't more deaths with people aimlessly walking across the road eyes pinned to their phones and their ears plugged up with earplugs!

Especially with how bad drivers are these days. I don't know if it is specific to where I live but people are constantly almost running people over. Near where I live there's a train station and a few blocks of shopping streets and apartments.

There are some pedestrian crossings without lights. People constantly just drive through them ignoring the people crossing. As I frequently use these I see it all the time. People even seem to start to slow so you assume they are stopping. Start to step onto the road and they speed up and through. With that fake stare straight ahead pretending they don't see you. You can always tell when it's the fake stare ahead. As if pretending means they aren't doing the wrong thing.

With the one I am thinking of, there's an intersection really soon after it. That intersection has pedestrian crossings with lights and is also an intersection with the train tracks. So you can get stuck there. I assume people would rather risk running people over, illegally going through an intersection than to get stuck at the lights or with the crossing down a block away.

A few weeks ago we were crossing. We were about halfway across and a car just drove through in front of us. Annoyed we continued to cross and the next car was beeping us like we were in the wrong.

Last week I saw a little girl narrowly avoid being hit by a car going through a different nearby pedestrian crossing. The father was very vissable pissed and reacting. Of course there was no apologetic look or acknowledgement from the driver.

Maybe a week or two ago I was walking through the carpark to the supermarket and had to jump out of the way of an SUV. I will preface this by saying car parks are horribly designed without pedestrian walkways.

I was crossing over at an intersection in the carpark. I see a giant white SUV coming. I am in the lane next to it's. Out in the open. It slows to a stop. I assume it's stopped for me to cross. I have right of way. I continue crossing, I am in front of it and it starts driving forward and I have to dart out of the way. I look at the driver and didn't even see me. That's how bad those cars are in urban environments.

The rail crossing is a bad one and seems to be in the "too hard" basket for rail crossing removals. At a light crossing. Cars often are coming over the rail crossings traffic lights after they should. So they either have to stop for the pedestrians. Blocking other traffic, but very frequently just drive straight through the lights at that fast pace people drive when going through lights after they should.

My partner says we should move to the other side of town where people are nicer and drive better. I don't know if she's just grass is always greener or if that is correct. Even just a few days ago not too far away I was walking and see a lady do the wrong thing at a round about. Not giving way to the right and entering as a car is coming. As it has to stop. Then when she drives off she's waving her hands up in the air as if the other person was in the wrong.

People are the worst.

Especially with how bad drivers are these days. I don't know if it is specific to where I live but people are constantly almost running people over. Near where I live there's a train station and a few blocks of shopping streets and apartments.

There are some pedestrian crossings without lights. People constantly just drive through them ignoring the people crossing. As I frequently use these I see it all the time. People even seem to start to slow so you assume they are stopping. Start to step onto the road and they speed up and through. With that fake stare straight ahead pretending they don't see you. You can always tell when it's the fake stare ahead. As if pretending means they aren't doing the wrong thing.

With the one I am thinking of, there's an intersection really soon after it. That intersection has pedestrian crossings with lights and is also an intersection with the train tracks. So you can get stuck there. I assume people would rather risk running people over, illegally going through an intersection than to get stuck at the lights or with the crossing down a block away.

A few weeks ago we were crossing. We were about halfway across and a car just drove through in front of us. Annoyed we continued to cross and the next car was beeping us like we were in the wrong.

Last week I saw a little girl narrowly avoid being hit by a car going through a different nearby pedestrian crossing. The father was very vissable pissed and reacting. Of course there was no apologetic look or acknowledgement from the driver.

Maybe a week or two ago I was walking through the carpark to the supermarket and had to jump out of the way of an SUV. I will preface this by saying car parks are horribly designed without pedestrian walkways.

I was crossing over at an intersection in the carpark. I see a giant white SUV coming. I am in the lane next to it's. Out in the open. It slows to a stop. I assume it's stopped for me to cross. I have right of way. I continue crossing, I am in front of it and it starts driving forward and I have to dart out of the way. I look at the driver and didn't even see me. That's how bad those cars are in urban environments.

The rail crossing is a bad one and seems to be in the "too hard" basket for rail crossing removals. At a light crossing. Cars often are coming over the rail crossings traffic lights after they should. So they either have to stop for the pedestrians. Blocking other traffic, but very frequently just drive straight through the lights at that fast pace people drive when going through lights after they should.
S
My partner says we should move to the other side of town where people are nicer and drive better. I don't know if she's just grass is always greener or if that is correct. Even just a few days ago not too far away I was walking and see a lady do the wrong thing at a round about. Not giving way to the right and entering as a car is coming. As it has to stop. Then when she drives off she's waving her hands up in the air as if the other person was in the wrong.

People are the worst.
…at one stage or another I’ve witnessed a few of these scenrio’s myself… being in a wheelchair actually has it’s benefits believe it or not my friend… when I’m about to cross the road most people let me go first… while I’m crossing I usually put my thumb up 👍 as a ‘thankyou’ to them… but me being me… I’m looking at them to see if they’re doing because they are genuinely nice people or are just making sure that they don’t hit me so my wheelchair doesn’t scratch their shiny new car lol!… alas!… I’m such a suspicious little shit!… 😬😆😇… cheers.

I’m looking at them to see if they’re doing because they are genuinely nice people

It is interesting because for all the terrible drivers and bad people. You do see the good and nice people. Crossing the street at a normal intersection, no zebra stripes, lights or signs. The people who will actually stop and gesture for you to cross. Which is just following the road rules.

I did recently see on some shitty news site one of those articles of, "the surprise road rule people didn't know." Crap story taken from social media and it was literally just that pedestrians have the right of way. Apparently, people didn't know!

Also to be clear, I am not exaggerating. I constantly see people driving through crossing in this area. As in every few days at least.

Another really common thing I see almost every day is cars backed up at the lights where people drive up and block side streets. So then they block the opposite lane because people want to turn but can't.

You just know their dumb logic is, "I don't want to be delayed any longer by giving way to pedestrians or turning cars." Selfish arseholes. So many around.

Getting a bit back on topic. I miss how it used to not be so crowded everywhere.

Here's a memory for ya. When I was 8 or 9yo I used to stop by the record stand in the department store to sneak peeks at this record cover. Apparently my sexuality was already set in stone🤣

View attachment 59834
…hahaha!… Timmy… I always had erotic thoughts in the other direction and used to wish that I was the meat in those three girls sandwich at the same time lol!… cheers.

…I remeber that in the early 70’s when this was released…

IMG_5978.jpeg

…I was immediately sucked into the whole manic UFO phenomena at the time… I was about 17-18 years old I guess… I bought every UFO paperback that I could afford at the time lol!… especially anything to do with Project Blue Book… man!… I was so into it at the time lol!… now?… I must say that still believe in Aliens and UFO’s… but not as enthusiastically nowadays lol!… aaaaaaah!… what memories eh?… cheers.

View attachment 59839

…I was immediately sucked into the whole manic UFO phenomena at the time… I was about 17-18 years old I guess… I bought every UFO paperback that I could afford at the time lol!… especially anything to do with Project Blue Book… man!… I was so into it at the time lol!… now?… I must say that still believe in Aliens and UFO’s… but not as enthusiastically nowadays lol!… aaaaaaah!… what memories eh?… cheers.
OMG! I remember that. My sister bought it 😃

View attachment 59839

Truer today than ever w/substantial, factual backing!

View attachment 59839

I always thought some of it was quite plausible, but the rest was drawing a very long bow indeed.

I always thought some of it was quite plausible, but the rest was drawing a very long bow indeed.

…I thought the same thing timmy but I thank that book alone for opening my interest in all things UFO and the wonders of ancient civilisations etc… a lot of it was a mish mash of speculations but when ancient builders joined 50 ton blocks of stone together with laser presision that even a piece of paper won’t fit in the cracks it does make you wonder methinks… it still makes me wonder today… I now love Archaeology thanks to Erich Von Daniken opening my mind way back in the 70’s… it still is a fascinating book indeed… cheers.

OMG! I remember that. My sister bought it 😃

…wow!… colour me impressed!… I thought that it was mostly a guy type of thing back in the 70’s… it’s good to see that your sister was such a forward thinker with an open mind back then… all credit to her!… just out of curiosity … did you ever read it February?… cheers.

…I thought the same thing timmy but I thank that book alone for opening my interest in all things UFO and the wonders of ancient civilisations etc… a lot of it was a mish mash of speculations but when ancient builders joined 50 ton blocks of stone together with laser presision that even a piece of paper won’t fit in the cracks it does make you wonder methinks… it still makes me wonder today… I now love Archaeology thanks to Erich Von Daniken opening my mind way back in the 70’s… it still is a fascinating book indeed… cheers.

I did have the book too before I left Aus. I kinda think it'd be great if there was irrefutable evidence that proved that the various religions were actually based on aliens visiting earth. They would hate it, but what a huge breakthrough it would be, to explain things that seem too fantastical and even ridiculous in the bible and other religious texts. In science fiction, it's a regular plot device that space travellers visiting a primitive civilisation could be thought of as gods, because the people couldn't understand or comprehend what they were seeing. Anyway, Christians would be divided between "how dare you insult Jesus" and "I told you so".

Back