Skip to main content

The gay novelty

Would you be comfortable with a gay relationship in the house?

• Yes

Votes: 82 81.2%
  • No

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • Yes - But male only

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • Yes - But female only

Votes: 5 5.0%

• Total voters
How about this, a gay non-oddball applies for big brother some time and DOESNT mention in the interview he is gay? *shock* That way if they're cast it's based on personality and not sexuality.

Then he can hook up with the token oddball.

I'm surprised to be honest that we haven't had a gay relationship happen in the house.

Going by the live audience reactions to Ben 12, Ben 13 and Jason they seem to love the gays.

I reckon it would be fascinating to watch two men have a deep connection and cuddles in their bed, and watching them on a "date" would be more enjoyable than watching Ed and Jade.

Watching the straight couples on the show are so boring now. Showmance, Showmance, Showmance. At least two men or two woman would be a change, at least for a little while.

This year I think they tried to replicate the Zach and Frankie from BB US relationship with Dion and Jason. That was my first thought I had when Dion was forced to choose between Jason or Skye. Skye being the worst kind of female (In Dion's opinion) to be paired up with.

BB shouldn't be cast to fit in with certain groups or stereotypes, it should be cast solely on the strength of a persons character.

It shouldn't matter what a persons sexuality, race, religion, hair colour, or whatever else is.

Since BB has been on channel nine, it's obvious they are trying to fill the cast with;
1-2 gays,
1-2 inter racial persons,
1 ditzy blonde,
2-3 jocks,
1-2 'bitches',
1 hipster(a BBAU world first!),
1-2 married or parent,
1 'girl next door',

...and then 'filler' housemates, to make it feel real.

I respect that the producers are trying to appeal to everyone, but does it have to be so contrived?!

On a side note, yet keeping within topic, I would welcome seeing a gay relationship in the house. However I don't think channel 9 is casting for that to happen. I think they are happy to show gay people on air, unless they are intimate.

I'm surprised to be honest that we haven't had a gay relationship happen in the house.

I'm not, it has been purposely managed that way.

Going by the live audience reactions to Ben 12, Ben 13 and Jason they seem to love the gays.

I don't know about this... the audience seems to love the gays, yes, but I think a lot of it is as I say, a novelty thing. There are a lot of useless people who like to support gays to prove how liberal they are, but will display some serious double standards when they are faced with same sex intimacy.

The audience really hasn't been tested yet - it's all just been flowers and rainbows.

I don't particularly care for the straight relationships in the house. Whatever the HMs want to do on their own time is fine, just don't show too much details on the Daily Shows.

I've always said that I am not a fan of showmances at all, but it there were 2 gay people in the house who ended up liking each other, I would actually be pretty happy to see that play out.

This year on BBUK there were 2 gay males cast, the first one Mark was very OTT flamboyant and Christopher who I did not even know was gay till like a week in, he didn't mention it in his VT and to me he did not give of those typical gay vibes you get when a gay person is on reality TV.
Eventually when Marks best friend Matthew was evicted, he and Christopher got closer and closer till one night they ended up pashing under the covers. Then after that point is when I noticed something funny...... Christopher who I would classify as the norm put his heart on his sleeve pretty much and you could tell that he was into Mark in a big way...... Now Mark on the other hand wasn't into to Christopher that much, Mark to me came off as flamboyant, but wanting to hide the sexual part of himself. Kind of like in his mind it's ok to act all OTT and flamboyant because that is the norm for gay people on TV, but not OK to show any sexual feelings at all.
I feel like people like Mark are the main types of people cast on reality TV because the viewers think they are funny and enjoy how OTT they are. People like Christopher imo are hardly ever cast because they are way too normal and don't fit into the mold.
If BBAU could somehow manage to break away from the gay people that they have cast in the past and put 2 people like Christopher in the house..... I think we might finally get a genuine gay showmance.....

EDIT: who the hell voted no? Why don't you come and tell us why.

Last edited:
i'd just like to see a gay guy that isnt so over the top camp...but then whats the point in casting someone gay if it isnt immediately identifiable i suppose

BB should add in more gay housemates, not just one or two (who are usually not made for each other). These "one or two" gays are rarely attracted to each other (David'06 and Rob/Zach'07 and Nick). In other words, one is always 'femme' and the other is masculine - It doesn't seem to work, at least FOR THEM.

So, in the next couple of seasons (if they even happen), they should cast in at least THREE single gay guys and let's see what would happen. I'm sick of one token gay guy here and how he is usually in a relationship already. :facepalm:

I remember Rob asking David if he would date him, David and Michael almost kissing, and how close David with the 'straight' intruder Darren. Lol...I think BB06 was the 'gayest' one so far, with the most homoerotica. It was the closest for gay relationships. :)

but then whats the point in casting someone gay if it isnt immediately identifiable i suppose
If he has a partner in the outside world, or if he's single and there are no other gays to mingle with, then I guess there is no point to add in a gay man merely for being gay.

However, if his personality is strong and interesting, gay or not, then I'd put him in the house for THAT REASON. But BB somehow likes to put in people just for being gay (Ben, David, Jason, Zach). Though I thought Benjamin'12 wasn't put in the house for that reason - He was funny, manipulative and intimidating. He definitely would've been in the house if he were straight.

Oh, btw, speaking of "identifiable" I didn't know that Jason was gay until he said it. All the male housemates this year have been a little 'effeminate' really.

Last edited:
if any genuine relationships developed, gay, straight, bi whatever I'd be happy to watch that, but usually is just a drunken pash then kind of cling cos they hooked up so kinda should hang more, not a actual Im getting to know you and the person you are is someone I like, so lets go down the natural path.[DOUBLEPOST=1412129345][/DOUBLEPOST]
Id like to see one season 15 gay and lesbian HMs and one heterosexual HM for a change
Intruders would be 2 gays and 2 Lebsians

Would be a rating bonanza in my opinion
Be so many fights, best friends to enemies in a day, be far more interesting

The sex tape is COMING.

if there was a genuine connection, I would fucking love it! I would like to see a normal gay relationship shown on the show, not a novelty or a showman, but it will never happen

I think it would be nice to see. As @mutleyp said though: as long as there is a genuine connection.

Why does it have to be a 'genuine connection' or 'a normal gay relationship' ??

Why cant 2 people of the same sex - whether they're gay, bi, str8 whatever just get it on, kiss, cuddle, under the doona stuff like the others - is it only acceptable for gay ppl to hook up if its 'genuine' or 'normal' :muted:

Why does it have to be a 'genuine connection' or 'a normal gay relationship' ??

Why cant 2 people of the same sex - whether they're gay, bi, str8 whatever just get it on, kiss, cuddle, under the doona stuff like the others - is it only acceptable for gay ppl to hook up if its 'genuine' or 'normal' :muted:
They can, but Im saying I'd like to see a genuine relationship develop, and I'd like to see that for a gay couple too, to show the bigots of the nation that love/like is love/like like any other couple, not just a quick fuck and move on

They can, but Im saying I'd like to see a genuine relationship develop, and I'd like to see that for a gay couple too, to show the bigots of the nation that love/like is love/like like any other couple, not just a quick fuck and move on

But can a 'real' relationship ever develop in the BB house?

But can a 'real' relationship ever develop in the BB house?

I don't think so, there have been a few examples as someone said Suzannah and Thomas lasted 4 years, and Marty and Jess did get married (although Jess did start that as a showmance) there hasn't really been much

I don't think so, there have been a few examples as someone said Suzannah and Thomas lasted 4 years, and Marty and Jess did get married (although Jess did start that as a showmance) there hasn't really been much

I don't think it is the right environment for any real romance. It almost seems forced.

But, most 'real life' relationships are not much better

Back