Skip to main content

The Death of Queen Elizabeth II & Ascension of King Charles III

I saw that. I think he spoke well.
I think he's going to do a better job than most people think.
He’ll do a good job but I will admit that I don’t think he’ll fill his mothers shoes. Considering his reign will be significantly shorter than his mothers it will be seen mostly as continuing her legacy.

That's so true. Prime Ministers come and go and the UK Monarchy endures...but they can't be voted out can they?
The Commonwealth realms they most definitely can be. The UK I’m not so sure of. That said the modern monarchy is a house of cards. They technically “rule” by divine right but in reality any “power” they hold in the modern era is derived from the people. If the people suddenly decide they aren’t worth keeping around it wouldn’t take much to get rid of them.

Last edited:
I had a vision in my head of Camilla jumping up and down saying, yay, I'm gonna be Queen!
If you've never seen comedy show The Windsors I highly recommend it.

Charles will be a better king now than he would have been 20 years ago, and he'll do just fine. What's interesting now is seeing all the pomp and ceremony - or lack of it in some cases - that goes with it. "The Proclamation" this morning for example being televised for the first time - in many ways fascinating, in many ways just an admin exercise. It's easy to forget that last time this happened TV was in it's infancy and I'm not even sure how widespread radio was, so even in 1952 the idea of "heralds" going to major county towns and cities to announce the proclamation probably wasn't that odd. 70 years on it's happening in virtually every town and city around me tomorrow afternoon - probably close to 20 or so in a 20-30 mile radius.

Funeral now confirmed for 11am UK time on Monday 19th September. Focus now shifts back more to the death of the Queen with the official mourning period, including a royal vigil in Edinburgh led by the King on Monday night before she is returned to London and Buckingham Palace 24 hours later ahead of four days of lying in state in Westminster. The numbers paying their respects are expected to significantly exceed the 200,000 who passed by the Queen Mothers coffin.

And one nice unexpected moment today was Harry and Meghan joining William and Kate for a walkabout in Windsor, showing once again the publics reaction to Meghan is far different to what the press would have you believe.

Charles will be a better king now than he would have been 20 years ago, and he'll do just fine. What's interesting now is seeing all the pomp and ceremony - or lack of it in some cases - that goes with it. "The Proclamation" this morning for example being televised for the first time - in many ways fascinating, in many ways just an admin exercise. It's easy to forget that last time this happened TV was in it's infancy and I'm not even sure how widespread radio was, so even in 1952 the idea of "heralds" going to major county towns and cities to announce the proclamation probably wasn't that odd. 70 years on it's happening in virtually every town and city around me tomorrow afternoon - probably close to 20 or so in a 20-30 mile radius.

Funeral now confirmed for 11am UK time on Monday 19th September. Focus now shifts back more to the death of the Queen with the official mourning period, including a royal vigil in Edinburgh led by the King on Monday night before she is returned to London and Buckingham Palace 24 hours later ahead of four days of lying in state in Westminster. The numbers paying their respects are expected to significantly exceed the 200,000 who passed by the Queen Mothers coffin.

And one nice unexpected moment today was Harry and Meghan joining William and Kate for a walkabout in Windsor, showing once again the publics reaction to Meghan is far different to what the press would have you believe.
Gollly! what a lovely thing to say about H & M. I look forward to King William since I believe he was the one to bring his brother & bride back into the Firm. Suffice to say, I was Team Diana. To me, Meghan was Harry's best way of showing disdain for Charle's mistress. Royal watch shall provide much needed respite from the hard slog of US elections in November 2022 & 2024 grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Beautifully said ❤

My dad used to call me Lilibet when i was little.
I guess that's where my Christian name came from.
On reflection watching Lizzie's herse driving down from Scotland.

How are you holding up @Brekkie? Sitting in a darkened room crying into your tea for the next two weeks?
1 of 2
Politics aside, the Queen was easily the most remarkable woman of our time
I've been listening to classical music since her passing
Bach's Mass in B minor (Proms 2012)
(go to the 1st comment for a clickable list of the parts I always start w/Sanctus lol)

How are you holding up @Brekkie? Sitting in a darkened room crying into your tea for the next two weeks?
\
1 of 2
Politics aside, the Queen was easily the most remarkable woman of our time
I've been listening to classical music since her passing
Bach's Mass in B minor (Proms 2012)
(go to the 1st comment for a clickable list of the parts I always start w/Sanctus lol)
2 of 2
Mozart's Requiem, Lacrimosa is sublime

How does this public holiday work exactly? I thought it was so people were able to watch the funeral live on tv or something but it isn’t even to mourn on the same day. It’s a little random if anything

How does this public holiday work exactly? I thought it was so people were able to watch the funeral live on tv or something but it isn’t even to mourn on the same day. It’s a little random if anything
Our public holiday is on the 19th but it’s only a federal holiday so it’s very possible not everyone will actually get to observe it.

Most Canadian work in industries that are regulated by provincial governments so it’s up to the province to decide whether or not they want to observe the holiday.

We have a federal holiday for Truth and Reconciliation which is observed on September 30th that isn’t observed in Alberta because our Premier is an asshole. The holiday was created by our current PM and our Premier wouldn’t want to appear like he’s supporting Trudeau on anything.

Time off isn’t something that’s valued here in Canada. 10 days (two weeks) of vacation is still the standard and will only increase to 15 days after 5 years of continuous employment. That said a lot of industries actively discourage taking time off.

They were discussing that on tv yesterday.
It should be to watch the funeral, but it turns out that Albo won't be back from London until that date, so set it to when he's back.

Time off isn’t something that’s valued here in Canada. 10 days (two weeks) of vacation is still the standard and will only increase to 15 days after 5 years of continuous employment. That said a lot of industries actively discourage taking time off.

That’s really interesting. Here in Australia they actively prompt you to take leave when your balance gets really high. It’s partly to get a break, but also because if you were to leave, they’d have to pay you out your annual leave, so having to pay 12 weeks + on termination would kill the payroll haha.

But most jobs I’ve had are proactive in offering it.

That’s really interesting. Here in Australia they actively prompt you to take leave when your balance gets really high. It’s partly to get a break, but also because if you were to leave, they’d have to pay you out your annual leave, so having to pay 12 weeks + on termination would kill the payroll haha.

I guess it depends on the employer. Mine it’s expected that you’ll take your vacation but it’s definitely on their terms. Also most employers will only let you carry forward unused vacation to a point and you lose it if you go over. Places were they discourage taking actual time off would usually prefer that they just pay you out the hours.

It’s changed a lot over the last 20 years. At my first job I was able to accumulate 10 weeks of leave and take it all at once. At my last job I was obliged to take two weeks as a chunk every year and couldn’t carryover more than two weeks at the end of year. I think it’s a combination of concerns about employee burnout and untaken leave being treated as a liability for a company.

I guess it depends on the employer. Mine it’s expected that you’ll take your vacation but it’s definitely on their terms. Also most employers will only let you carry forward unused vacation to a point and you lose it if you go over. Places were they discourage taking actual time off would usually prefer that they just pay you out the hours.

That’s really interesting. We also get a loading for taking our annual leave of 17.5% of our hourly / weekly rate. So we actually get paid more when we’re on leave.

It’s changed a lot over the last 20 years. At my first job I was able to accumulate 10 weeks of leave and take it all at once. At my last job I was obliged to take two weeks as a chunk every year and couldn’t carryover more than two weeks at the end of year. I think it’s a combination of concerns about employee burnout and untaken leave being treated as a liability for a company.

Yeah I think a lot of companies have implemented policies to make sure there isn’t a shit load of leave on the books. My old payroll lady use to send me a list every month of my team members who had excessive leave and I’d have to prompt them to take a break. Most were just happy to take the few extra weeks as a payout, but they didn’t get the loading which was shit.

I had someone move interstate after 5 years working with us and copped a 12 or so week payout on his leave when he left. My GM was furious haha.

Our public holiday is on the 19th but it’s only a federal holiday so it’s very possible not everyone will actually get to observe it.

Most Canadian work in industries that are regulated by provincial governments so it’s up to the province to decide whether or not they want to observe the holiday.

We have a federal holiday for Truth and Reconciliation which is observed on September 30th that isn’t observed in Alberta because our Premier is an asshole. The holiday was created by our current PM and our Premier wouldn’t want to appear like he’s supporting Trudeau on anything.

10 days for full time work! That’s terrible! Part time workers get 2 weeks off (10 days), and full time is 4 weeks annual leave (20 days). Plus 10 days paid sick leave. Though we’re known for abusing sick days and many will happily take unpaid sick leave.

The culture here is the corporations try and encourage you to take leave, they can’t force you, but are strongly advising you do around certain times. My husband for example is forced to take 2 weeks off during the Christmas/New Years break as the company is closed during that period anyways. And normally they try and encourage him to take some time off around the first or second week off during April school holidays. They get a little annoyed if he doesn’t too so it’s just a thing now. This works out fine for me though because I don’t “work” during school holidays and do use my annual leave during this time anyways.

Most premiers are assholes, but that’s just my opinion. I’ve only appreciated one- Gladys, but mostly their contributions to reconciliations, inclusiveness, approach to minority groups is superficial and never beyond face value. Seems to be the same around the world too.

They were discussing that on tv yesterday.
It should be to watch the funeral, but it turns out that Albo won't be back from London until that date, so set it to when he's back.
Thanks for the clarification. At least I can make sense of how they implemented it, but still it’s rather random. Many will just use it for a day off

Back