Skip to main content

THE COUCH - TV Chat Thread

M

Miajahar

With thanks to kxk for the inspiration.

Got a TV question?
Want to show off your telly trivia?
Feel like reminiscing about a past TV fave?

Then this is the thread for you!

watchTV.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
So I have a random TV question that's been bugging me for a couple of days.

I can't remember when it was (but pretty certain it was a channel 9 show), possibly might have been off the back of the popularity of Changing Rooms or The Block, but does anyone remember a reality renovation show where two (or maybe three) sets of competing couples were given identical houses to renovate in the same street. Then I think the public phone voted for their favourite and the couple who dolled up the winning house got to keep it. Can't remember who hosted it. I think it was a male host though, so maybe Don Burke, Jamie Durie or Peter Everett?

Anyone remember it?

The Hot House?
Renovation Rescue?

The Hothouse was on Channel 10, but it was along the same lines as I'm thinking of, only what I'm trying to recall was on a few years earlier.and was definitely a Channel 9 thing.

And Renovation Rescue was like a Backyard Blitz, Getaway and Changing Rooms combo show.

I looked up Jamie, Don and Peter on IMDb, and none of them hosted the show I'm trying to find.

The Hothouse was on Channel 10, but it was along the same lines as I'm thinking of, only what I'm trying to recall was on a few years earlier.and was definitely a Channel 9 thing.

And Renovation Rescue was like a Backyard Blitz, Getaway and Changing Rooms combo show.

I looked up Jamie, Don and Peter on IMDb, and none of them hosted the show I'm trying to find.

was it the one where the designers had to do the renovations ?

There was a time when Suzie Wilkes was on just about every reno show on Nine. Did it have her in it?

Update: Changing Rooms Special Operations screened in 2001. Remember that the next time you play Trivial Pursuit. It may come up.

Last edited:
There was a time when Suzie Wilkes was on just about every reno show on Nine. Did it have her in it?

Cheers. That's a very good lead.:)
There was a Changing Rooms Special Operations show, but I haven't been able to find anything about the format of it as yet.
The timeframe would be about right though.

***Updated to say***

That's definitely what it was. :D
It was the memory of the spunky chippie, James Lindsay, that brought it all back to me. :p
Yay! Mystery solved!
phew.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
does anyone remember a reality renovation show where two (or maybe three) sets of competing couples were given identical houses to renovate in the same street. Then I think the public phone voted for their favourite and the couple who dolled up the winning house got to keep it. Can't remember who hosted it. I think it was a male host though, so maybe Don Burke, Jamie Durie or Peter Everett?

Anyone remember it?

I see you found the name of it - I remember that show well because when the show went to air we were going home from Melbourne and went past the houses one saturday night, they were in Melton (Victoria) (It was bedlam, lol - sticky beckers everywhere)

One couple lived in Port Melbourne at the back of his shop, they had their own t-shirt printing business and they decorated their house really funky (a red bathroom). The other couple had always rented and they decorated really traditional and safe. The traditional family won.

My hubby and I said just a few months ago "I wonder if the family that won it sold it or lived in it".

I see you found the name of it - I remember that show well because when the show went to air we were going home from Melbourne and went past the houses one saturday night, they were in Melton (Victoria) (It was bedlam, lol - sticky beckers everywhere)

One couple lived in Port Melbourne at the back of his shop, they had their own t-shirt printing business and they decorated their house really funky (a red bathroom). The other couple had always rented and they decorated really traditional and safe. The traditional family won.

My hubby and I said just a few months ago "I wonder if the family that won it sold it or lived in it".

thats the one !!! thanks mia :mad: it has been driving me crazy !! still cannot find anything on it on the net. does anyone have a link ?

thats the one !!! thanks mia :mad: it has been driving me crazy !! still cannot find anything on it on the net. does anyone have a link ?

I only found the name of the show mentioned in an article. There's nothing I can find with actual pictures or info about the show itself.

I have a question - several actually:

Who is the person who came up with the idea of Taken Out?
Why are they (still) employed in television and not collecting the dole, or preferably dust?
What on earth gave them the idea that the format was more interesting that, say, the director's cut of world championship chartered accountacy?
Who the hell watches this stuff?*

*well, me actually, since I just sat through ten minutes of it, mostly in stunned bewilderment...

Why are they (still) employed in television and not collecting the dole, or preferably dust?
What on earth gave them the idea that the format was more interesting that, say, the director's cut of world championship chartered accountacy?

*well, me actually, since I just sat through ten minutes of it, mostly in stunned bewilderment...

You lasted 10 whole minutes?:eek: I saw the bit where some chick was bitching about the guy's lack of hair and his shoes, then I felt compelled to leace the room.

All I can say is, come back and get married, Yasmin! All is forgiven!

You lasted 10 whole minutes?:eek: I saw the bit where some chick was bitching about the guy's lack of hair and his shoes, then I felt compelled to leace the room.

All I can say is, come back and get married, Yasmin! All is forgiven!

Oh yeah! I'LL bloody marry her, if that's what it takes to get this show off the air!

mmmm...... riviting stuff :p probably created by the same people who decided to axe BB :rolleyes:

Woohoo MJ great that you started this thread up, it will be my new home - and it might stop us rambling in other threads.
I have watched bits of that hiddeous Taken thing waiting for Idol, and it's just stupid, it could be funny if it wasn't so slow,as it is sort of full of wannabbee BB types, and it's the kind of show you just pick people to shreds - same as they are.
Just about every female I have seen so far has had hiddeous clothes/hair/everything and so many of them just get the puppies out to impress I guess.
They could whip this into shape if they sped it up and zapped it a bit with better graphics/camera/music, less of the dribble, just one word allowed- no hair/shoes suck, next.
They should have have trap doors to eject people, if all the girls give him thumbs down or a majority, buzz and he's gone/disappears. They need more zappy stuff going on, if they are going to do hiddeous TV make it more overthetop and quick, too much lingering with boring people.
The bit I watched the girl who was picked had stripper hair to rival BB Brigitte's, what the, who does that to their hair?

Woohoo MJ great that you started this thread up, it will be my new home - and it might stop us rambling in other threads.
I have watched bits of that hiddeous Taken thing waiting for Idol, and it's just stupid, it could be funny if it wasn't so slow,as it is sort of full of wannabbee BB types, and it's the kind of show you just pick people to shreds - same as they are.
Just about every female I have seen so far has had hiddeous clothes/hair/everything and so many of them just get the puppies out to impress I guess.
They could whip this into shape if they sped it up and zapped it a bit with better graphics/camera/music, less of the dribble, just one word allowed- no hair/shoes suck, next.
They should have have trap doors to eject people, if all the girls give him thumbs down or a majority, buzz and he's gone/disappears. They need more zappy stuff going on, if they are going to do hiddeous TV make it more overthetop and quick, too much lingering with boring people.
The bit I watched the girl who was picked had stripper hair to rival BB Brigitte's, what the, who does that to their hair?

The whole thing - the set, the contestants, the dumb/shallow questions, etc. - is just tacky. And not even tacky in a 'car crash you can't look away from' way.

But then, I guess I'm a bit of a hypocrite in bagging a show of this genre, because I never missed an episode of Channel 7's Man O Man. :p At least there was a bit of variety to that, and the guys all got pushed in the pool once eliminated. At least it didn't pretend it wasn't the silly show it was, and had some humour about it.

Oh you have hit the nail on the head there MJ, stop pretending it's anything more than crap, trash like Man O was way more entertaining.
This is so dreary & dull and I was grasping at straws, just can it and make something more silly and active and trashy.
This show makes Blind Date look exciting and intellectual.

I only found the name of the show mentioned in an article. There's nothing I can find with actual pictures or info about the show itself.

If josephine knows whereabouts the houses were maybe we could google maps, the houses now. That'd be interesting.

As for Taken Out i think it's worn it's welcome out. It was good fluffy entertainment the first night, but now it's kinda bland. It'll stay on cos it's between Neighbours and AUs Idol at the moment but i'm not going to sit down and watch it.

Would prefer they bring back Friends repeats and that was rating better.
The host guy is actually not too bad, shame he's stuck with this crap.

Back