Skip to main content

THE COUCH - TV Chat Thread

...I didn't watch it Consuela but he is as guilty as that Baden-Clay dickhead in my opinion... was it any good?... cheers.

I didn't watch it either... But this is an interesting turn of events:

CHANNEL SEVEN'S RIDICULOUS OSCAR PISTORIUS COVERAGE HAS PISSED OFF EVERYONE
OscarPistorius-619-386.jpg

If you've been anywhere near a TV over the past few days, you've probably seen Channel Seven spruiking their "world exclusive" video of Oscar Pistorius for a story on their flagshipSunday Night program. The show aired the story last night, and almost instantly the uproar was heard.

The piece contained a video showing Pistorius reenact the events that occurred on the night that he shot and killed his girlfriend, Reeva Steenkamp. Filmed in a relatives house and with Pistorius' sister acting as a stand-in, the footage shows Oscar walking on his stumps, carrying the "body" and holding out an imaginary gun. The video was shot to help a US-based company known as The Evidence Room compile an animated re-enactment of the incident.

Lawyers for Pistorius' defence team have been scathing in their reaction, claiming the footage was obtained illegally. In a statement, they said, "We wish to make it very clear that the material that has been aired was obtained illegally and in breach of the non-disclosure agreement with The Evidence Room."

"Its usage also constitutes a breach of privilege as this material was produced for trial purposes on the instructions of a commissioner, and the ownership of the copyright vests in the commissioner. No permission for the disclosure thereof has been given."

"For the family, the airing of this footage constitutes a staggering breach of trust and an invasion of the family's privacy."

But beyond simply airing footage that might have been illegally obtained, Channel Seven also trod on some bad moral ground during the story, after they aired a straw poll that invited viewers to vote on Pistorius' guilt. The vote was graphic was splashed across the screen and placed on their website. The web poll is still accessible as of time of writing, the "voting lines have now closed."

images%2Farticle%2F2014%2F07%2F07%2FScreen%2BShot%2B2014-07-07%2Bat%2B12.37.40%2BPM.png

This is shockingly gratuitous broadcasting that is at best irresponsible, and at worst potentially prejudicial to an open murder trial. It's tabloid journalism at its worst.
Whether Channel Seven feels any repercussions or not, the story certainly has drummed up a lot of attention for a topic that's fallen stagnant for months. So in that regard, it's certainly mission accomplished. But, ultimately, is the juice worth the squeeze? We're inclined to suggest no.

Photo: Jerome Delay via Getty Images.
Posted on: July 07, 2014 2:43AM by Cam.

Tags: Channel Seven Sunday Night Oscar Pistorius

Source

...I didn't watch it Consuela but he is as guilty as that Baden-Clay dickhead in my opinion... was it any good?... cheers.

It was an interesting watch that's for sure. Whether it was intentional or not he's still culpable who shots into a closed toilet cubicle even if there's a burglar in there, they had no route of escape.

I didn't watch it either... But this is an interesting turn of events:

CHANNEL SEVEN'S RIDICULOUS OSCAR PISTORIUS COVERAGE HAS PISSED OFF EVERYONE
OscarPistorius-619-386.jpg

If you've been anywhere near a TV over the past few days, you've probably seen Channel Seven spruiking their "world exclusive" video of Oscar Pistorius for a story on their flagshipSunday Night program. The show aired the story last night, and almost instantly the uproar was heard.

The piece contained a video showing Pistorius reenact the events that occurred on the night that he shot and killed his girlfriend, Reeva Steenkamp. Filmed in a relatives house and with Pistorius' sister acting as a stand-in, the footage shows Oscar walking on his stumps, carrying the "body" and holding out an imaginary gun. The video was shot to help a US-based company known as The Evidence Room compile an animated re-enactment of the incident.

Lawyers for Pistorius' defence team have been scathing in their reaction, claiming the footage was obtained illegally. In a statement, they said, "We wish to make it very clear that the material that has been aired was obtained illegally and in breach of the non-disclosure agreement with The Evidence Room."

"Its usage also constitutes a breach of privilege as this material was produced for trial purposes on the instructions of a commissioner, and the ownership of the copyright vests in the commissioner. No permission for the disclosure thereof has been given."

"For the family, the airing of this footage constitutes a staggering breach of trust and an invasion of the family's privacy."

But beyond simply airing footage that might have been illegally obtained, Channel Seven also trod on some bad moral ground during the story, after they aired a straw poll that invited viewers to vote on Pistorius' guilt. The vote was graphic was splashed across the screen and placed on their website. The web poll is still accessible as of time of writing, the "voting lines have now closed."

images%2Farticle%2F2014%2F07%2F07%2FScreen%2BShot%2B2014-07-07%2Bat%2B12.37.40%2BPM.png

This is shockingly gratuitous broadcasting that is at best irresponsible, and at worst potentially prejudicial to an open murder trial. It's tabloid journalism at its worst.
Whether Channel Seven feels any repercussions or not, the story certainly has drummed up a lot of attention for a topic that's fallen stagnant for months. So in that regard, it's certainly mission accomplished. But, ultimately, is the juice worth the squeeze? We're inclined to suggest no.

Photo: Jerome Delay via Getty Images.
Posted on: July 07, 2014 2:43AM by Cam.

Tags: Channel Seven Sunday Night Oscar Pistorius

Source

The whole vote thing was a bit sensationalist TBH. However in defence of 7 I don't think airing the report is prejudicial at all for a number of reasons namely the case isn't being heard here and there is no jury to taint.

Rove has only signed for 4 months though - hopefully he will move on, I reckon he is just there to steady the ship a bit as everyone is leaving.
With Rove there they should dump Pete he's boring and it's just Rove live again, they need James Matheson to balance, they need some quirky

It was an interesting watch that's for sure. Whether it was intentional or not he's still culpable who shots into a closed toilet cubicle even if there's a burglar in there, they had no route of escape.

The whole vote thing was a bit sensationalist TBH. However in defence of 7 I don't think airing the report is prejudicial at all for a number of reasons namely the case isn't being heard here and there is no jury to taint.

I think he is guilty,I live in south africa and I think his whole defence is crap..I mean seriously no burglar here would hide in the toilet they
go straight for you and kill you,tie you up,rape..the whole shebang.So hiding in the toilet no ways,also if you live here the first thing you do is check where your partner and family members are.

Also why do the re-enactment yourself it seems weird..I feel like it was released to force a mistrial.Hubby has been watching this on youtube but myself I cant stand oscars whiny voice it seriously makes me want to puke

@kxk I recorded it and will probably watch it tonight.... as well a Wentworth.

Anyone here watching Wentworth?

I went back and recorded the first season and have been recording all of this season after I saw them win some Logies but I haven't watched an episode yet. Is it worth it? I'm not into heavy violence so if there's a lot of that I'm out.

I went back and recorded the first season and have been recording all of this season after I saw them win some Logies but I haven't watched an episode yet. Is it worth it? I'm not into heavy violence so if there's a lot of that I'm out.
Give it a go you might like it. From memory there is not that much violence in the first season, but I might just be used to violent TV shows. I have to say that season 2 has been amaze balls.
S1 has a lot of flash backs for the main characters, kind of showing the audience why these women are in prison. If you do end up watching, something that really bugged me in S1 has been toned down big time in season 2. Which is the slow motion effects.

I love Wentworth.
I find it can be very confronting and quite raw at times.
There's a little bit of violence so you might want to turn your head at some scenes but it's not violent just for the sake of it.
For the most part it's great acting and it's one of those shows where it gets to the end and you think wow has it been an hour already?

Oh.my.gosh!!

SuperTed plans a cosmic TV comeback
Co-creator Mike Young is part of a team re-making the classic 1980s cartoon show for a modern audience - joining a swelling list of revivals of classic children's shows
Share:
SuperTed is being revived by his creator Mike Young who is developing 26 half-hour episodes which he expects to tout to broadcasters later this year. If all goes to plan, the cartoon is expected to air on British TV in two years’ time.

Three series of the original show were made in its heyday between 1983 and 1985 with the hero voiced by Derek Griffiths and former Doctor Who actor Jon Pertwee taking on the role of his accomplice Spotty, and Melvyn Hayes voicing the camp villain Skeleton. In 1989SuperTed was briefly revived in America by Hanna Barbera.

Young, who created SuperTed in 1978 as a series of written stories to help his son overcome his fear of the dark, says that certain things about the modern SuperTed will change.

“In SuperTed, we had a gun-slinging cowboy, a flamboyantly gay skeleton and a fat guy who had jokes made about his weight,” he tells this week’s Radio Times.

“And all these things you just wouldn’t do today. But you can still write the show in a funny, entertaining way.”

Young also said he wanted to retain some of the homespun charm of the original.

Speaking from his home in Los Angeles, where he has lived and worked for the past 25 years, he adds that the new SuperTed will not be too "slick" which he says can be a problem when reviving much-loved vintage shows.

“We have got to be careful. So often things they re-make come out very slick. I won’t mention any names but many of the stop-frame series have been remade in the UK with less than fantastic results. They sometimes lose the charm of the original production. That’s what we have …got to watch out for, to maintain what the original shows had and that’s easier said than done.”

The reboot is being overseen by producers and distributors Abbey Home Media.

Co-owner of the company Anne Miles said that the fact that some people remember the character gave the project a “built-in confidence”.

“We don’t have to start explaining who SuperTed is, people know," she said. She said that the project would be taken to TV trade fairs in the autumn.

If it gets the go-ahead the remake will join a growing vogue to remake children’s favourites with revivals of The Wombles, Teletubbies, Thunderbirds, Danger Mouse, The Clangers and a Turner reboot of The Powerpuff Girls all on the way.

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2014-07-14/superted-plans-a-cosmic-tv-comeback

The 2nd season of the UK series Utopia started last week.
Also the 3rd season of Naked and Afraid started like 2 weeks ago.
Just a heads up for anyone who is interested.

I only just heard about Utopia. Got season 1 now and will watch soon.

It's probably been mentioned somewhere already and I know it's not in the 'wow' category like other shows but for some reason I really enjoyed Orphan Black. Easy entertaining watch.

That said - True Detective and House of Cards are still my clear winners in the TV arena of recent(ish) times

Hope everyone is well and happy :)

Last edited:
Back