Skip to main content

The Circle on Netflix

I've watched (half watched) ep 5 and rapidly losing interest.
Hmmm… I’m 3/4 through episode 7 and I’ve enjoyed this week more than I did last.

The second blocking has been pretty entertaining and shows why I love this format so much. I live for how much of a house of cards this game can be…

Hmmm… I’m 3/4 through episode 7 and I’ve enjoyed this week more than I did last.

The second blocking has been pretty entertaining and shows why I love this format so much. I live for how much of a house of cards this game can be…
See my problem is I'm not captivated enough to give it my full attention, but it's a bit like watching a foreign movie with subtitles, you really do need to focus on it and if you're second-screening you miss too much. You can't just have it running in the background. So that's why I'm weighing up whether to continue. You say it's better than last week, so maybe I'll give the rest of this week a go. Just push my laptop to the side.

Last edited:
See my problem is I'm not captivated enough to give it my full attention, but it's a bit like watching a foreign movie with subtitles, you really do need to focus on it and if you're second-screening you miss too much. You can't just have it running n the background. So that's why I'm weighing up whether to continue. I say it's better than last week, so maybe I'll give the rest of this week a go. Just push my laptop to the side.
I watch on my phone for that reason and I take the odd social break. It’s taken me 3.5 and I just started episode 4.

While I’m disappointed 2 out of 3 blockings have had some sort of twist I really enjoyed the cyber virus. That said the fact that the ended in another cliffhanger is really going to suck the life out of the twist.

Also interesting to see how one small thing can change my opinion on a player. I wasn’t really feeling Nathan/Alex as his “mastermind” strategy came across as rather cocky… That said the fact that Bru’s question nearly spoiled his game flipped my opinion of him. I also like that he took his time and didn’t immediately gravitate to Rachel as a protential ally. That said the Spice twist probably had a lot to do with why they hadn’t chatted until this week.

Yu Ling has honestly solidified herself as one of my favourite Circle Players of all time. I literally have no words to explain just how much of a pleasure she is to watch. #mycirclebestie
One of the best reality show contestants of all time, not just The Circle, but she probably wouldn't thrive on the likes of Big Brother and Survivor in the way she does here.

Indeed it's interesting to think how different people behave individually than if they were in a group together in person.
Is it me or is Alyssa the first player to actually acknowledge in the game that keeping a loyal catfish is a power move?
Yes, massive credit for that. They get no prizes for sussing catfish. Producers probably got the balance right this season too with the majority of players being real.

P.S. Was thinking before the cyber security twist how little they use photos nowadays. Seem to set up a profile with two then add one or two more over the season when in the first UK season especially adding photos and changing profile pics was used much more frequently as a way for players to build up their character - and try and suss out other players.

I think they could have had a bit more fun with this twist - perhaps players playing as other players due to a malfunction.

Last edited:
I remember Trevor from his wife's season. I kind of wish he'd gone in as himself, though some the others might know him from before if they've watched previous seasons. Halfway through Ep 7 and Yu Ling is my favourite, too along with Frank. Sorry to see the last evictee go.

One of the best reality show contestants of all time, not just The Circle, but she probably wouldn't thrive on the likes of Big Brother and Survivor in the way she does here.

Indeed it's interesting to think how different people behave individually than if they were in a group together in person.

Yes, massive credit for that. They get no prizes for sussing catfish. Producers probably got the balance right this season too with the majority of players being real.
I agree. The Circle definitely plays to her strengths.

I think it’s hilarious that Carol is completely oblivious to the fact that pretty much everyone thinks she’s a catfish.

Yes. Won't over analyse it or spoil it but have really enjoyed this series. Only fault is a bit like the final UK series they've perhaps deviated from the core elimination format a couple of times too many, but not in a way that feels unnatural.

Actually one spoiler queation:
Is this the first series with more newbies as finalists than originals?

Yes. Won't over analyse it or spoil it but have really enjoyed this series. Only fault is a bit like the final UK series they've perhaps deviated from the core elimination format a couple of times too many, but not in a way that feels unnatural.

Actually one spoiler queation:
Is this the first series with more newbies as finalists than originals?
I agree. I do believe you’re correct.

That said I truly believe this is the best of the US series… Great casting all around, the cyber virus twist was 🙌🏻, and the perfect amount of personality and strategy. It’s a bit disappointing to see the overall lack of interest from the core group we’ve had in prior series.

My favourite quote this week has been; “Are we still dating men in this economy? Unfortunately the answer is, yes” - Yu Ling 🤣☠️

Also shows how slow burn reality TV can really work as it didn't really take off in it's first four episodes, which perhaps were hindered rather than helped by the Spice Girls twists, but this week we really got the pay off for everything that had happened before. Even the videos from home, which are one of my pet hates of reality TV, got to me - especially the follow up stuff with Frank. A shame though we didn't see the catfish having to create their cover stories for their own.

Also shows how slow burn reality TV can really work as it didn't really take off in it's first four episodes, which perhaps were hindered rather than helped by the Spice Girls twists, but this week we really got the pay off for everything that had happened before. Even the videos from home, which are one of my pet hates of reality TV, got to me - especially the follow up stuff with Frank. A shame though we didn't see the catfish having to create their cover stories for their own.
This series more than anything could have benefited from additional episodes… You’re right in that the twist hindered the series, but only that it dominated so much of the first week of episodes. It was a fun twist, it’s just disappointing that it moved at such a sluggish pace. It worked in the UK because they had 20 episodes but really didn’t work as well with only 13.

I must say that the fact that the newbies outnumber the originals has been a refreshing change… Although the Spice twist did cause a sluggish first week it really helped Nathan/Alex and Rachel integrate in to the group much faster and since it felt like the game didn’t officially start until week two they don’t feel like traditional late entrants.

Also Imani/Trevor in their limited time has played a phenomenal game that I’d totally be fine if they won. I’d say they’re second to Sammie/James in terms of best catfish to play the game.

Nathan/Alex has played a great game too but his strategy is more unique than a traditional catfish.

Emerson on the other hand feels like a late entrant and would be a letdown.

Last edited:
Yes - I quite like the idea of Trevor winning twice. I'd say it's between Yu Ling and Frank but we've seen before how the front runners usually suffer in the final vote, which can allow someone to sneak through - Rachel might be the middle ground character between old and new who'd benefit most from that.

Certainly think it needs at least a couple of extra episodes - 3 episodes next week rather than going straight to the final would work and probably make all the difference.

P.S. Did all the bullshit Patreon stuff about Original Trev and Real Trev splitting up coincide with him filming this?

Last edited:
P.S. Did all the bullsit Patreon stuff about Original Trev and Real Trev splitting up coincide with him filming this?
Nah, that happened afterward. Based on the posts in this thread on page 14, she posted that crap they day after it was announced that they were dismantling everything and converting the flats back to regular flats and that the fifth season had already wrapped too.

I hope when they did dismantle everything they at least left the technology there to scare the new owners with an "ALERT!" every so often.

Back