Skip to main content

The Circle on Netflix

I told myself I wouldn’t sit down and binge all four episodes back-to-back. But I did. 😂

I get why the episodes were so focused on Mel B/Emma, but I kinda wish they had focused more on the players rather than a gimmick for at least the first batch. Also ending the fourth episode with a cliffhanger on who Rachel voted for was a bit anti-climatic since the trailer shows "Carol" and "Nathan" reacting to the increased prize money.

Intrigued about the idea of seeing the real Trevor from S2 go in (have wondered if at some point they'd bring in one of the people that had used their photos used to catfish in a previous season) but after the crap DeLeesa and him pulled with a clickbaity post on Patreon making it look like they were breaking up - I really, really don't want to see him win only because I don't want to see even more money go to that family.

I told myself I wouldn’t sit down and binge all four episodes back-to-back. But I did. 😂

I get why the episodes were so focused on Mel B/Emma, but I kinda wish they had focused more on the players rather than a gimmick for at least the first batch. Also ending the fourth episode with a cliffhanger on who Rachel voted for was a bit anti-climatic since the trailer shows "Carol" and "Nathan" reacting to the increased prize money.

Intrigued about the idea of seeing the real Trevor from S2 go in (have wondered if at some point they'd bring in one of the people that had used their photos used to catfish in a previous season) but after the crap DeLeesa and him pulled with a clickbaity post on Patreon making it look like they were breaking up - I really, really don't want to see him win only because I don't want to see even more money go to that family.
I am also on the fence about the Spice gimmick… The first three episodes had a decent enough balance but episode 4 seemed to drag as they milked the shit out of the Spice gimmick. I also agree the cliff hanger was pointless. I’m also not sure why they kept the fact that it was them a secret in the trailer.

Things I did like how they had Frank chose the catfish profile… Thought it was an interesting take on the original UK twist. I also didn’t mind the reveal and the vote. Personally I wouldn’t have told the girls it was to win extra price money. Would have rather they kept the original elimination and had the girls award safety to a player of their choice on the way out if they’d been successful.

I’m living for Yu Ling! She has to be one of my all time favourite American players. I do like Carol but her downfall will be playing the #mamabear card too much. Bru is not as douchey as I thought he might be… I thought they might be trying to fill another Mitchell type role with him. I also find Alyssa interesting. I thought her oversharing might be a bit annoying but so far she’s proved herself to be a smart player. Frank is probably my least of the favourites group. He’s had some funny moments but his yelling can cross over in to annoying. Crissa is one to watch… She’s played it cool and she’s shown some smarts.

Rachel seems nice enough but kind of got steamrolled with the Spice gimmick and I feel like she’s going to be an easy target. Nathan is a smart player but I find he’s a bit cocky. The whole mastermind persona has been done too much and there doesn’t seem to be enough of a quirkiness about him to be loveable. Paul was an extremely obvious first blocking. Probably one of the worst Catfish out of any series. So obvious that she’d have played much better as herself. The Circle doesn’t tend to pick on people based on looks alone and it’s more about positioning yourself within the group.

Moving forward it does appear they’ve gone the UK series 3 route and are pimping the twist this series.

The Trevor twist is a throw away for me… Not only do I not like them for that Patreon bs they pulled I’m over how incestuous reality TV has become. They cast out of 4 countries this series and there’s absolutely no reason they couldn’t have found a newbie to fill that spot.

Paul was an extremely obvious first blocking. Probably one of the worst Catfish out of any series. So obvious that she’d have played much better as herself.
She was probably a victim of producers casting her as her Alt, but it's still on her for putting her dad up for that scenario in the first place, if she couldn't pull it off.

She was probably a victim of producers casting her as her Alt, but it's still on her for putting her dad up for that scenario in the first place, if she couldn't pull it off.
My theory is production wanted two catfish with similar personas like they had with Sammi/Jay in the second UK series. She just happened to be the sucker who said she’d do it. It also wasn’t that she couldn’t pull it off it’s that she barely tried.

Cracking first four eps, though agree with you Kingston the fourth does drag out the Spice Girls twist too much, and it should have been resolved by the end. Feels like too they're making up the rules for how many can catch them as they go along as a simple majority can still work it out but the mission be passed. What might have been a good twist is whoever is identified is blocked, but then they take over the Jaryd profile from Mel B and Emma.

P.S. How did neither Rachel or Yu Lang pick up on the "We" comments. Mel B and Emma did correct something else in the same post, but still left "we" rather than "I".

Crissa FTW.

Also Spice Girls trivia WTF? The hardest answer was Nelson Mandela… I guessed and still got it right. Otherwise the questions were simple AF.

That said I was a tween boy struggling with my sexuality at the height of the Spice Girls fame. I was a big fan.

P.S. How did neither Rachel or Yu Lang pick up on the "We" comments. Mel B and Emma did correct something else in the same post, but still left "we" rather than "I".
I noticed that too, I just assumed it was a production fuckup since what we see on the screens is different to what the players actually saw. Pretty sure Mel commented on both their use of "we" and "our".

Last edited:
John "literally grew up in a bowl of sauce".

Somehow I doubt that.
And "as Italian as it possibly gets" - because being from New Jersey is of course far more Italian than actually being from Italy.

I noticed that too, I just assumed it was a production fuckup since what we see on the screens is different to what the players actually saw. Pretty sure Mel commented on both their use of "we" and "our".
Yes - it's blatantly obvious the screen captions are added in post. Still think the design for "The Circle" as used in UK S1 was actually better.

Also Spice Girls trivia WTF? The hardest answer was Nelson Mandela… I guessed and still got it right. Otherwise the questions were simple AF.

I thought Mandela was the obvious one as logically it couldn't possible be the others. And will Geri now face a backlash for sexually assaulting Prince Charles? ;)

Not quite sure what the point of the trivia was though as there was no benefit to anybody getting them right. Also is Jaryd getting a vote on the vote to identify them?

I hope they meet Yu Ling - think she would lose her shit. Questioning though really whether they are as big a deal as being made out to people in their early to mid 20s though considering they dispanded 22 years ago. Of course they have a bigger legacy than most, and of course now acts live on longer thanks to Youtube etc plus their life beyond the band on reality shows etc. Guess it's the confines of reality TV that helps with that and them not having much else to really get excited about.

Yu Ling reminds me of an anime character, love her quirkiness and also love Frank. I'm also starting to like Crissa very much. Not so keen on the Spice Girls, are they really necessary? Would the other players even know who they are?

Enjoyable second batch of eps. Feels a bit early to send in the final players though but both are good value.

So I’m in the middle of the first of this weeks episodes… It’s off to a great start but I can’t help but feel like the reveal and meetup shouldn’t have been held over for week 2.

Yu Ling has honestly solidified herself as one of my favourite Circle Players of all time. I literally have no words to explain just how much of a pleasure she is to watch. #mycirclebestie
I watch d this because you guys were talking about it. I don’t like Alyssa. I think Yu Ling is cute but too easily manipulated.

Back