Skip to main content

The Circle on Netflix

Hmmm. Or have they just shoved it in because the fifth season has spilled over to 2023?

šŸ¤”
Yes, that's exactly how I've read it. Even though it began a couple of days earlier it is clearly part of their New Year line up for this season.

I'm now further along the episodes than the thread so will say this season has convinced me it's time to bring it to an end. Unlike when the UK version finished and it left you feeling like it had a bit more to offer this season is just leaving me feeling like I've seen everything before. There are no new ideas really coming to the table and considering they're already recycling cast members of other shows I don't think they're going to get much more out of future casts too - though the casting is pretty decent TBF.

There is nobody I hate, even if Marvin is a complete douchebag. I couldn't wait to be rid of Xanthi too so was gutted she got a second chance, but as she's calmed down she's actually much more watchable and Brett is actually one of the only ones who has a grip on the game.

Promoting it as a "singles" series was a mistake as that wasn't a factor at all - indeed possibly been less flirting than in the previous series. What also doesn't work anymore is the catfishing - it's boring when people are playing friends or family or just basically being themselves with a different picture. Catfishing works far better when the contestant has to create a whole narrative for the person that they're not familar with. Even Shoobi as Sasha was clearly just himself with different pictures - they should have sent him in as Joey!

I've two of this weeks episodes to go. Seems to be a two horse win over who will win, and I'm OK with either of them.

Last edited:
Did Netflix do second series of either of the foreign language versions?

The biggest shame about the Netflix deal is it prevented the show being sold to multiple territories so it'll be interesting to see if some markets might pick it up once that exclusivity comes to an end.

Did Netflix do second series of either of the foreign language versions?

The biggest shame about the Netflix deal is it prevented the show being sold to multiple territories so it'll be interesting to see if some markets might pick it up once that exclusivity comes to an end.
No they never made a second season of the French/Brazilian versions

Was he on BB?
He was included in the announcement of the BBUSA 2022 cast, but the day before the premiere it was announced that Marvin was out and he was replaced with Joseph. At the time, America's Got Talent was airing and Marvin had also appeared on that show and made it through to a pre-taped round that wouldn't be broadcast until Day 30 of BB. And then there was also The Circle (which was filmed in September 2021).

CBS wouldn't have known when Netflix was looking at releasing the fifth Circle season, so they were potentially looking at having a housemate that would be appearing on up to two other reality shows while BB24 was still airing and possibly still having him in the house as well. So they booted him.

And now he's in the combined South African/Nigerian Big Brother house. šŸ˜‚

Marvin - in the bin. Iā€™ve actually really enjoyed this season, much much more than the previous season. I feel like this cast has largely been quite entertaining and the relationships and bonds seem more season 1/2 than 3-4

Yes - didn't think they would win but happy they did. Also smart tactical move from the Super Influencer in the final blocking without it coming across as a tactical move.

Also was refreshing to see at least one of the players knowing when to vote tactically and when to not.

P.S. Was it me or did the set for the "Penthouse" feel alot cheaper this season, although it's probably the same as the one they used last time.

P.P.S. Fully expect that was the final season and TBH it's probably for the best but I'd be all for another just to get the winners mum on.

P.S. Was it me or did the set for the "Penthouse" feel alot cheaper this season, although it's probably the same as the one they used last time.
Pretty sure it was the same one they used since UK S2 in 2019 (though this is based purely on memory) - aside from the couch they've been using since US S2 for Michelle to sit on, socially distanced from the cast.

Looking at pics it's the same as S4 - I think they were filmed back to back, and the annoncement of the winner of "this season" rather than "season 5" suggests they hedged their bets on which would air first. The older set though was basically the same but looked a bit better - the fake windows were more penthouse than council flat!

To be fair he's quite entertaining on The Circle - one of those supposed "intelligent" folk who is ultimately pretty stupid.
I found his story to be entertaining but letā€™s be honest he was a dud otherwise.

I couldn't wait to be rid of Xanthi too so was gutted she got a second chance, but as she's calmed down she's actually much more watchable and Brett is actually one of the only ones who has a grip on the game.
Letā€™s be honest Brett was only moral support 99.9% of the time. Xanthi was the brains of the operation. Any other partner and he would have been gone at the first opportunity.

Well I bit the bullet and watch the remainder of the seasonā€¦ Probably one of the best finales of the Netflix series but boy was it a chore to get to. There were a few decent players in the cast but overall I really wasnā€™t rooting for anyone until the end.

Well Iā€™ll be damnedā€¦

IMG_0868.jpegIMG_0869.jpeg

Production has moved stateside according to the casting terms and conditions.

IMG_0870.jpeg
Also looks like the series will once again be made up of American residents only.

IMG_0871.jpeg

Last edited:
"Possible future seasons" usually suggests nothing commissioned. The writers strike though might work in it's favour - would make sense for Netflix to commission a couple more seasons of something that works for them and if not them for other broadcasters to look at.

"Possible future seasons" usually suggests nothing commissioned. The writers strike though might work in its favour - would make sense for Netflix to commission a couple more seasons of something that works for them and if not them for other broadcasters to look at.
I have no doubts this ā€œpossible futureā€ has to do with the ongoing writers strike. The Circle is really only a small to moderate success compared to other reality shows like Love is Blind and other than filling a gap left by scripted series I donā€™t think they really see much of a future.

Back