Skip to main content

The Block

I can relate. I am only watching the reveal eps to minimise my exposure to the bogan host.
Now there's something I haven't heard anyone call him. I agree though.
This season has the most annoying voiceovers, 30 minutes later etc
Makes me want to throw my stubby of beer a the TV!

these blockheads are all doing so well ,I have been finding the lockdown news reports they have been showing quite interesting as well

They really are an amazing group of people and I felt for each and every one of them. There have been trials and tribulations on The Block before (mostly manufactured) but this was something that couldn't have been scripted in anyone's wildest dreams. The sheer desolation of the streets of Melbourne still send shudders through me and while it was perhaps necessary it was nonetheless so terribly sad and still is.

I’m glad they showed the lockdown along with them coming back all in one episode. A bit of hope to end with. Would have been pretty bleak without it.
what a weird and hard situation it was for everyone, even more when you’re in this heightened experience.
handled well imo.

wrt the ensuites, all of them were modern except for the 50s one. You can tell the judges were really reaching to say that a bath or whatever was 1930s style. I actually feel they should just have been told to do contemporary style bathrooms and kitchens, and leave their decade stuff for bedrooms/living/hall. It's obvious the contestants know full well that having period bathrooms is not going to sell your house for top dollar. So drop the bullshit!

I think the ‘dirty Harry’ thing has been blown out of proportion. Doesn’t seem like that big of a deal. Also some could say he is at a disadvantage to the other houses having no trades experience.
I agree with Shelley, Daniel and Jade having a bedroom with only those little high windows is claustrophobic. Bad move.

Agree about the Dirty Harry thing. I think it’s become a bit of a running joke with most though...all except Dan.

How many bedrooms do you need in a house? Five is more than ample imo (four in the main part and one in the studio) any more is overkill.

Jimmy and Tam are still my favourites...they work smarter, produce lovely rooms and generally try to keep themselves to themselves and focus on what they’re trying to do. I still have a soft spot for Harry and Tash and Sarah and George though.

I thought the judges were a bit harsh on Jimmy and Tam's choice of paint colour in the bathroom. OK it might be polarizing but so is wallpaper (personally, I don't like 80% of it that has so far been installed) and paint colour is easier to rectify than wallpaper.

I have to agree that it doesn't seem fair that a team receives a perfect 30 when the fittings are not actually fitted...but the bathroom was lovely nevertheless.

Oh NO! Challenges seem to be back. Shelley given her own Challenge HQ! I can do without that.

Ooh Shayna gives Luke and Jasmin a bit of a smack...the rooms were definitely VERY similar but so was Ronnie and Georgia's girls bedroom VERY similar to the Insta/Pinterest pics in their season.

Personally I think I’m remembering why I stopped watching the Block a few years ago. I can’t stand the manufactured drama.
Keith and Dan 100% allow things to happen so that they can turn around and fail it later. It all makes for DRAMATIC television. The way they talk to the contestants is all to try to provoke them into blowing up.

This year the contestants seem to genuinely like each other, so any little thing gets totally beat up into something huge like the Dirty Harry thing and now it seems like they are going to try to use this kids bedroom to cause some divides tonight.
imo it’s a non issue. IF jasmine had hidden it or denied using the other room as inspo then MAYBE there would be some scandal in this.

She had been showing / using that picture all week last week. They all knew what she was doing. I bet the producers told Shayna to mention the Kyal and Kara room at judging (which didn’t change the fact that she gave them 10) then gave her the actual room picture to come with all to create some manufactured drama. AS IF she went home and looked it up on Pinterest. Don’t buy it for one second.

Personally I think I’m remembering why I stopped watching the Block a few years ago. I can’t stand the manufactured drama.
Some years ago the EPs/creators said the entire format was built around drama, not the renovations. But I stopped watching years ago
because of SCam, Shelley and the stupid challenges. I'm only watching this season because of the different-era houses, and only the Sunday eps at that.

“We took that simple idea for a renovation reality show but we always said we’re going to produce a human drama. And we never lose sight of the fact that we’re not just a reno[vation] show, we are a soap opera,” Cress says.

Last edited:
Keith and Dan 100% allow things to happen so that they can turn around and fail it later.
It all makes for DRAMATIC television. The way they talk to the contestants is all to try to provoke them into blowing up.

This year the contestants seem to genuinely like each other, so any little thing gets totally beat up into something huge like the Dirty Harry thing and now it seems like they are going to try to use this kids bedroom to cause some divides tonight.
imo it’s a non issue. IF jasmine had hidden it or denied using the other room as inspo then MAYBE there would be some scandal in this.

She had been showing / using that picture all week last week.
They all knew what she was doing. I bet the producers told Shayna to mention the Kyal and Kara room at judging (which didn’t change the fact that she gave them 10) then gave her the actual room picture to come with all to create some manufactured drama. AS IF she went home and looked it up on Pinterest. Don’t buy it for one second.
Yes, they sit back and let people finish and only then tell them it doesn't "meet code". And yes, it's all to create drama.

I wonder if the whole bedroom copying drama was an effort by the producers to try and cover their bums from an intellectual property suit? The bedroom pic that Jas was showing around was of a room that had been designed by a professional interior design firm for a prestigious B&B. People like that tend to notice things and don't let them go quietly by. If the room was a "rip off" of an ordinary Joe (perhaps even Kyal and Kara's) posting their handiwork on Insta/Pinterest I wonder if anyone would have bothered to bring it up?

Also in Sunday's ep: the leaning bathroom wall. In my place in Sydney I have a (brick built) bathroom wall that is 30mm out of plumb from top to bottom. If I renovate the bathroom I might have to get it knocked out and rebuilt. Maybe the bricklayers had a pub lunch that day. Wonder why no-one noticed it at the time (1996)?

I really didn't like either of the timber curved islands...Christian Cole or not. I didn't like them aesthetically and for practical reasons because for me all kitchen surfaces should be sleek, easy to clean but also be pleasing to the eye.

Neale, on Harry & Tash's kitchen: "if I had to describe the perfect kitchen for now, for 2020 it would look something like this,”.

Well, "something like" that. 😂 I didn't like that their island bench had a 50mm benchtop while their main bench was 25mm. I mean, 50mm benchtops went out of fashion at least five years ago, let alone the inconsistency. Bit odd.

Anyway I've lost interest in the show now, so that will be my last ep.

OK so apparently this season finished and no-one even bothered to comment on the result.

I was not surprised to learn which house won, though It was pretty obvious from the start.

Back