Skip to main content

The Australian - Channel Nine may Resurrect Big Brother

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

fireit

Nine may resurrect Big BrotherFont Size: Decrease Increase Print Page: Print Amanda Meade | July 17, 2008
BIG Brother may get a second life via the Nine network.

“It’s run its race in its present form," Nine chief executive David Gyngell told The Australian. “I still think it has some life in it in another form. Channel Nine will be looking at it.”

Mr Gyngell said he is a fan of the reality format and is aware of the revenue it can bring to a network across all its platforms. The eight-year-old series ends on Ten on Monday night. Nine will hold talks with owners Endemol Southern Star about overhauling the formula.

“Big Brother was a very good show at its height and it is useful for the economic benefit it brings,” Mr Gyngell said.

Mr Gyngell, who has taken the Nine network back to a winning position since he took over in November last year, is the only television chief executive interested in picking up the format. Both Seven and Foxtel have declined.

He said Ten’s decision not to renew the show for next year was the right one and he praised their handling of the format.

“Ten paid a lot of money for it and they needed to get as much value as they possibly could so they ran a lot of hours,” he said.

“But running so many hours puts a big strain on a show. In its present form it’s not sustainable but it delivers good numbers among the 16 to 24 year olds which is good for any network.”

Ten aired 120 hours of Big Brother each season, usually managing at least one million viewers per episode but dropping this year. At its best Big Brother sparked debate, and promoted the more wholesome characters in the house.

But when its popularity waned it resorted to shock tactics and cast the housemates like a freak show.

At the 11th hour this month, Ten cast former Baywatch actor Pamela Anderson as a house guest in order to boost ratings. It is understood she was paid $150,000 for the drop-in visit to the Gold Coast compound.

From the Australian.

There's hope at least.
I don't think they could ruin it more then Ten already has this year.

Also since when did $500,000 become $150,000?

Haven't watched channel 9 in at least 5 years. It'd have to look really good for me to even glance at it.

Haven't watched channel 9 in at least 5 years. It'd have to look really good for me to even glance at it.

So, if it doesnt look really good, you won't even watch opening night? :eek:

I'd be more inclined to watch BB09 if it was a different channel, it was ten and Kris Noble that stuffed it.

“Big Brother was a very good show at its height and it is useful for the economic benefit it brings,” Mr Gyngell said.

Be prepared to be milked of cash by the best ;)

Lol well i'd much rather watch a show targetted at older people then a show targetted at 10 year olds like it is this year.

Yes I was only kidding :p

But the problem with 9 is they swing that axe around a lot!

So if they don't do wall-to-wall Big Bro... 3 one hour nights a week? I'd like that.

One whinge BB haters have is that it swamps Channel 10 programming. Sort of like the Cricket does on Channel 9.

Channel Nine would be my least favourite channel for it to go to, but whatever it takes to bring back Big Brother.

I would prefer 7 before 9 and I still believe Seven may be considering it. I think the CEOs of Seven are resisting but once bidding time comes and Nine makes one, Seven will hit right back.... I really hope it goes to Seven but hey Nine couldn't do any worse than TEN!

I hope channel 9 dont turn this into US BB. That will piss me off.

But channel 9 has a lot more money and can afford to flop.

Plus we all know if it flops next year Big Brother will be gone for good, and we will all expect it to happen and wont be surprised.

I hope channel 9 dont turn this into US BB. That will piss me off.

But channel 9 has a lot more money and can afford to flop.

Plus we all know if it flops next year Big Brother will be gone for good, and we will all expect it to happen and wont be surprised.

Thats what it sounds like in the article. Three episodes a week, survivoresque big brother here we come :eek:

If 7 or 9 pick it up, the format won't be the same as we see it now. So we may be disappointed.

But I would watch it still as long as the basic BB is still there as in BB01. They don't need the whistles and fanfare like we have now. Then it would be cheaper to make as well.

A bunch of people locked away in isolation for 3 months with no contact with the outside world, News, family and current affairs is what its all about isn't it?

Be prepared to be milked of cash by the best ;)
economic benefit not profit for the network, ie employment the show brings.

Alls fair in love and war and TV ratings

I don't believe NINE is genuinely interested. It sounds like NINE just wants to put the heat on SEVEN and make them pay more for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back