Skip to main content

Speculation: Big Brother Australia in 2019?

Well Mike does give this site a mention (of sorts...) in the Bree podcast - hi @mikegoldmanlive !? ;)

As for anything concrete regarding BBAU returning, there wasn't. The closest was some discussion about how Big Brother might be different (and in what way) if it did return, with comment allegedly from Endemol Shine producers that it might be more aligned to the BBUS format ... and then Mike saying how BBUS is quite different to all the other BB's of the world.
hahaha the site mention of the behind the scenes stuff

if they thought the forums were bad for leaking in 2006, imagine if twitter was big. leak central, bitch. it's always good fun to go on the wayback machine to read the old rumours in the 2000's 🙆🙆

Didn't realise that Alex M was the executive producer for every season of BB except for the first. So maybe it was really Nine that was mainly responsible for the shit show we got when BB returned. Also I hope that if BB was to return here that we don't go down the manipulated route of the US version that Mike described in the podcast. I didn't realise that over there the producers actually talk to the contestants off camera and tell them how to act.

Didn't realise that Alex M was the executive producer for every season of BB except for the first. So maybe it was really Nine that was mainly responsible for the shit show we got when BB returned. Also I hope that if BB was to return here that we don't go down the manipulated route of the US version that Mike described in the podcast. I didn't realise that over there the producers actually talk to the contestants off camera and tell them how to act.
I thought Peter Abbott did the first three and then Kris Noble seasons 4-8?

I thought Peter Abbott did the first three and then Kris Noble seasons 4-8?

He wasn't the head producer but it says he was a series producer for series 2-8 on his Linkedin profile and Mike also mentioned that he gave the 2008 Nickelodeon Kid's Choice Award they won for Friday Night Live to Executive Producer Alex M on his podcast.

Bree seems to be taking one (hateful, but I wasn't aware of it at the time) comment and categorising the entire forum though.
I doubt any regular posters would have said anything hurtful about her cancer.

No I think partly was the way how Alex runs shows. Just look at the way I'm A Celebrity has turned out: The contrived situations, childish tasks and "romances" that don't actually exist.

Pretty sure Alex was only the executive producer of Friday Night Live during its run. Peter Abbott was the executive producer season 1-3 then followed by Kris Noble who ran the main show season 4-7. I am not 100% sure but I think Alex was the main executive producer in 2008.

It would make sense he was behind Friday Night Live where that show was aimed for the kids demographic. Then his work on family friendly BB on Nine which went too childish.

No I think partly was the way how Alex runs shows. Just look at the way I'm A Celebrity has turned out: The contrived situations, childish tasks and "romances" that don't actually exist.

Pretty sure Alex was only the executive producer of Friday Night Live during its run. Peter Abbott was the executive producer season 1-3 then followed by Kris Noble who ran the main show season 4-7. I am not 100% sure but I think Alex was the main executive producer in 2008.

It would make sense he was behind Friday Night Live where that show was aimed for the kids demographic. Then his work on family friendly BB on Nine which went too childish.

Makes sense, 2008 was the downfall of BB. It seems Alex doesn't know the meaning of less is more. Twist after twist does not a good series make.

Saying all that I did enjoy Friday Night Live with Mike, Bree and Fitzy. The thing was that was only a small part of the show. On the main show the audience were treated like adults. The kid stuff was left to FNL.

I watched that video and I quite like how Bree came across. She has a good head on her shoulders. I think Mike is a little bit delusional with the comments he said that the networks today would be begging for a turkey slap scandal. If something like that happened today there would be even more outrage than there was in 2006 especially with the Me Too movement. Bree is right that we are moving towards a more PC world. I also thought part of the reason why Nine didn't want to do live streaming was because of that incident. But then I would think saving costs and manipulating the narrative of the house would have been a bigger factor for Nine for not offering live streaming.

I also thought part of the reason why Nine didn't want to do live streaming was because of that incident. But then I would think saving costs and manipulating the narrative of the house would have been a bigger factor for Nine for not offering live streaming.
Spot on, especially the part I highlighted.

Cost was never an issue when it came to the live feed... It was just one Alex’s many excuses to try and appease fans...

Even if there were additional costs associated with regulatory requirements Nine could have easily charged a subscription fee to make up the difference...

Cost was never an issue when it came to the live feed... It was just one Alex’s many excuses to try and appease fans...

Even if there were additional costs associated with regulatory requirements Nine could have easily charged a subscription fee to make up the difference...

Exactly. That's what Ten used to do when they had BB. The first 10 minutes of live streaming was free and then you had to pay a subscription fee if you wanted to watch more. The real reason there was no livestream was because Alex M and Nine wanted to control the narrative within the house.

Didn't realise that Alex M was the executive producer for every season of BB except for the first.
When Mike talks about Alex as EP, he's meaning Friday Night Live specifically. FNL was Alex's baby well before he took on the main BB EP role during the CH9 run (which makes you wonder why 9's Showdown was so crap then... that one has to 100% be 9's fault)

Bree seems to be taking one (hateful, but I wasn't aware of it at the time) comment and categorising the entire forum though.
I doubt any regular posters would have said anything hurtful about her cancer.
I wasn't aware of it either, TBH! That's not something I'd ever say. Be critical, not hurtful (not that a cancer diagnosis is anything to be critical about). Edit: I think Bree could have just been using the forum comment as an example that not all social media comments about a reality tv contestant will necessarily be nice.

I would think saving costs and manipulating the narrative of the house would have been a bigger factor for Nine for not offering live streaming.
Let's not forget also that the house door between the lounge room and backyard was made solid for 2013 and 2014, which prevented any natural light from getting inside. How convenient for the editing room looking for a faux storyline :rolleyes:. The ability to witness house happenings in the same order as they really happen and with contextual details intact (like the time of day) that can be cut from edited highlights is one of the reasons why the live stream (and not just a twitter feed!) is so important.

Last edited:
Back