Skip to main content

Speculation: Big Brother Australia in 2019?

As others have said Gretel would NEVER return to BB as a full time presenter... They may be able to convince her to make a cameo appearance but beyond that it’s pretty clear she’s moved on without regrets...

As for Mike... He needs BB more than BB needs him... IMO that’s not really a good thing... I really think it’s time to wipe the slate clean and start fresh if the show is revived for a third incarnation...
Completely agree - they have to make the show for 2020, not 2001.

As for spin-off shows we’ll have to see... I don’t think BB Up Late needs a host of it’s done right... As for FNL I don’t think it added enough to the format to really warrant a return... That said elements of it could easily be worked in to the regular show... As spin-off shows if they are going to produce one I’d much rather it be something like BBOTS or Big Mouth than a cheesy gameshow...
Not something Aussie TV is known for but I really do think less is more now when it comes to Big Brother. For me the US/Canadian format works well for the audience of today with a 3 hour a week broadcast commitment plus the option of dipping into 24/7 coverage when you can. A nightly commitment of one hour plus is a big ask now considering just how much more television there is around thanks to Netflix etc. - 20 years ago they were competing against 3 or 4 shows at a time, now they're competing against thousands.

Also quite frankly BB's audience has grown up and they don't have the time they once did either.

Gretel was on Sunrise this morning (as she often is as part of Kochie's Angels), She hardly ever talks about Big Brother, but this time she was quite open about it, saying she really had to be talked into hosting it as she was convinced they wouldn't want a 37 year old woman hosting her own show.
And they certainly wouldn't want a 57 year old woman hosting it. Big Brother needs to be hosted by someone who is a peer to the housemates (or an older sibling at best), not their mother - or dare I say, grandmother!

And they certainly wouldn't want a 57 year old woman hosting it. Big Brother needs to be hosted by someone who is a peer to the housemates (or an older sibling at best), not their mother - or dare I say, grandmother!
LOL harsh! But I agree. I've said it before if they reboot it they would be best to enlist a fresh new hitherto unknown host who is capable of making her (yes, her) mark on the show.

I still think Mike is trolling for attention though.

Completely agree - they have to make the show for 2020, not 2001.

Not something Aussie TV is known for but I really do think less is more now when it comes to Big Brother. For me the US/Canadian format works well for the audience of today with a 3 hour a week broadcast commitment plus the option of dipping into 24/7 coverage when you can. A nightly commitment of one hour plus is a big ask now considering just how much more television there is around thanks to Netflix etc. - 20 years ago they were competing against 3 or 4 shows at a time, now they're competing against thousands.

Also quite frankly BB's audience has grown up and they don't have the time they once did either.

The Block is one of the highest rated shows in Australia and that's on 4 times a week. I don't think I would like a BB that had a week condensed into three days and I personally hate the US format and would not tune in if it was adopted here. For me how BB UK is this year is what Australia should look to emulate.

HOW VERY DARE YOU 😱

You wish you could be this perfect...
source.gif

Channel 9 Upfront is happening right now and no sign of Big Brother. If Big Brother was to ever return, nine need to leave their hands off it. But atleast Love Island is going Primetime on 9 instead of 9Go!

Silence from 9's Upfront event regarding BB. That's a relief! Although hearing Sonia's "the winner is..." for a moment I was expecting the worst...

But on the upside Alex Mavroidakis must be happy that Love Island is moving to Nine's primary channel (good luck to him with LI). So with that and I'm A Celeb, he'd not have that much free time to EP BB as well. Time for someone else to EP BB if it is picked up by 7 or 10 (their Upfronts are later this month).

Silence from 9's Upfront event regarding BB. That's a relief! Although hearing Sonia's "the winner is..." for a moment I was expecting the worst...

But on the upside Alex Mavroidakis must be happy that Love Island is moving to Nine's primary channel (good luck to him with LI). So with that and I'm A Celeb, he'd not have that much free time to EP BB as well. Time for someone else to EP BB if it is picked up by 7 or 10 (their Upfronts are later this month).

I dont think it's being picked up. I believe that Mike did have a meeting with Endemol but it was most likely just a discussion on the future direction of the show if it were ever to come back.

I dont think it's being picked up. I believe that Mike did have a meeting with Endemol but it was most likely just a discussion on the future direction of the show if it were ever to come back.

If Mike is being consulted on the future of BB this revival is doomed before it's even off the ground...

If Mike is being consulted on the future of BB this revival is doomed before it's even off the ground...

He is probably only being consulted because he has been the voice over guy for BB since it's inception and is still a huge fan of the show. It would be hard to find someone who is equally as good and brings humour to the narration to replace him.

He is probably only being consulted because he has been the voice over guy for BB since it's inception and is still a huge fan of the show. It would be hard to find someone who is equally as good and brings humour to the narration to replace him.

Clearly he’s reaching for a steady pay cheque...

Back