Skip to main content

So...Back In 2015?

I think Nine get TBBT from their output deal with Warners Bros. So it's actually relatively cheap for them.

@IRT5 might be able to confirm that. But yeah.
Thanks correct. Warner Bros. foot the bill for everything - cast, crew, materials etc - they then recoup this money via their deal with CBS (where they pay up to $5,000,000 per episode just to air the show!), the syndication deals within the US and through licensing the series to air in other countries.

Any network that airs the show recoups the money they've given to Warner Bros. by selling commercial time to advertisers, at rates based on the ratings of the show. What the networks pays for the license would probably vary on population etc, but definitely won't be close to what CBS pays.

ie in New Zealand, when our local soap goes on hiatus for a few weeks, reruns of TBBT will air at 7pm. Even though they aren't new episodes, it will cost up to $13,000 NZD for 30-seconds of ad-time (according to the TVNZ website). That means from just one episode will result in roughly $234,000 NZD from ad revenue for a single old episode and $1,170,000 NZD each week.

Either this is just pure profit, or it's still recouping money spent on an expensive show license.​

Thanks correct. Warner Bros. foot the bill for everything - cast, crew, materials etc - they then recoup this money via their deal with CBS (where they pay up to $5,000,000 just to air the show!), the syndication deals within the US and through licensing the series to air in other countries.

Any network that airs the show recoups the money they've given to Warner Bros. by selling commercial time to advertisers, at rates based on the ratings of the show.

ie in New Zealand, when our local soap goes on hiatus for a few weeks, reruns of TBBT will air at 7pm. Even though they aren't new episodes, it will cost up to $13,000 NZD for 30-seconds of ad-time (according to the TVNZ website). That means from just one episode will result in roughly $234,000 NZD from ad revenue for a single old episode and $1,170,000 NZD each week.

Either this is just pure profit, or it's still recouping money spent on an expensive show license.​
Would that be Shortland Street? Haven't seen that in ages.

I was talking to mike Goldman on twitter. have a look...
2r4r24o.jpg

TV’s unanswered questions: shows in limbo
By David Knox on February 3, 2015 / Filed Under News, Top Stories 25

Big Brother, Offspring, Hamish & Andy, Party Tricks
-they are some of the shows which fans are still awaiting good news.

TV Tonight asked some of our programmers to clear the air on shows in limbo.

BIG BROTHER (Andrew Backwell, Nine)

“No decision has been made on Big Brother. It’s fair to say I was disappointed with the ratings. It was certainly far from a disaster. Every audience with our shows is demos and as you know our target at Channel Nine is we don’t care about winning All People. It’s all about delivering the demos, it’s what advertisers need. Plus, if you remember, on catch-up online, it did an incredible job.

“It created a lot of revenue for Mi9 and you get so much volume out of it. It was 86 hours or something that we got out of it so it’s very cost effective TV. It’s not a cheap show but when you get so much content out of it, it makes the cost-per-hour cost effective. So that’s why we haven’t cut it loose. We’re still considering it.

“There’s still time for us to get it up for the last quarter, but only just. So we have to make a call on it very shortly and that all comes down to crunching the numbers with the audience it delivers, with the revenue it delivers, and with the amount of content, and just to see if it’s viable for us.

“What I think is worth seeing is if we can get it across our primary channel and one of our multi channels such as GO! So you can have some daily shows on GO! some events on Nine.

“So you’d have to look at having your eviction shows and your nomination shows on Nine to make it viable and then push that young audience to GO! for the daily shows. And I’m thinking that, if we could make it financially work, which is the big key to it, it would rate through the roof on GO! because you’ve got a dedicated bunch of fans. You’ve probably got 400,000 or 500,000 fans that will watch it whether it’s on Nine or GO!”

http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2015/02/tvs-unanswered-questions-shows-in-limbo.html

Reactions: Tee
I am so happy to see you!

The forum coming back on line has made today the best day ever!

Serious question. Does that make me a winner or a loser?
like we'd say loser cos then what does that make us?

I am so happy to see you!

The forum coming back on line has made today the best day ever!

Serious question. Does that make me a winner or a loser?

I agree with @crimmy on this one. I am sure 98% of us did the exact same thing waiting for the forums to come back up. :laugh:

OK, I am really going to be POed if BBAU doesn't return in 2015. However, please get rid of the PINK house!!! And why waste the area where the Friday Night Games (Showdown) was held. Open up the back yard again!! Bring back the long pool from 2003 and 2004. I think the island in the pool was OK as a novel idea but the plastic wrap-around bowl was a bad idea. And the tree house just didn't have the appeal of the little triangle room of 2007. And lastly, we really need the farm animals (real live ones). Mr. Clooney was OK but watching the twice daily interaction between housemate and baby animals was really revealing.

And why waste the area where the Friday Night Games (Showdown) was held. Open up the back yard again!!
Prior to BB05, that area wasn't used (other than the 2001-2002 launches). The backyard feels so much smaller because of the space lost to the kitchen, pool, gym, laundry area and the area by the door into the house.

Prior to BB05, that area wasn't used (other than the 2001-2002 launches). The backyard feels so much smaller because of the space lost to the kitchen, pool, gym, laundry area and the area by the door into the house.
Omg really? I ddint know that. So when they launched BBAU1-2 and we saw housemates evicted and leave that was the area where the played the games.

Back