Should BBAU become more like BBUS?

• Yes

Votes: 10 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 64 86.5%
  • Unsure

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
NO!! What makes BB interesting to me is the human interactions, not some annoying challenge to beat the rest of the people and win.

I love BBUK because it has a very similar format to ours here. We should be copying the UK version's spin off show 'bit on the side'.

What really gets my goat about BBUS is the fact that since HMs are allowed to discuss noms and they do evict themselves, that's all they ever do! We only get two "daily shows", and those can't be called "Daily shows" because they edit several days just to fit in all the talk about who's getting evicted and why, and then they use the Diary Room to narrate. Plus this season, we have Ariana Grande's brother Frankie, whom I cannot stand.

What I like about BBAU is the constant HM/Big Brother interaction. He's always giving them something to do, and giving them different experiences. (I saw an episode of the '13 season where Ed was one of the first people in Australia to try a Zinger Pie.) Plus all the tasks they have to do are pretty interesting. I enjoy watching the tasks more than the actual conversations (don't particularly care who's kissing whom or how Tully doesn't like this one housemate).

it is much more interesting and there is more game play. and having 3 days a week reduces the boring filler things and it is a much better format. they can't edit it to get the public to vote a particular way because the houseguest evict.

it is much more interesting and there is more game play. and having 3 days a week reduces the boring filler things and it is a much better format. they can't edit it to get the public to vote a particular way because the houseguest evict.

But then there is no audience interaction which is a BB staple. BBUS is very much the inmates running the asylum compared to other BB's around the world.

But then there is no audience interaction which is a BB staple. BBUS is very much the inmates running the asylum compared to other BB's around the world.
But the concept of BB is to be cut off from the outside world, having the public choose who they like and dislike is a contradiction. Besides boring people like Ben and annoying people like tim stay whilst fiery personalities get booted

But the concept of BB is to be cut off from the outside world, having the public choose who they like and dislike is a contradiction. Besides boring people like Ben and annoying people like tim stay whilst fiery personalities get booted

If you going with that reasoning, then the concept of BB is also to answer to a higher authority and do what BB says and seeing HM's that abide get rewarded and those that defy get punished... BBUS doesn't do that so that's not true to the BB concept as well is it not?

If you going with that reasoning, then the concept of BB is also to answer to a higher authority and do what BB says and seeing HM's that abide get rewarded and those that defy get punished... BBUS doesn't do that so that's not true to the BB concept as well is it not?

But the US Big Brother has strategising, alliances, challenges, etc. So a lot more content, than just regular talking (like our one) – which doesn't appear much in the show at all.

But the US Big Brother has strategising, alliances, challenges, etc. So a lot more content, than just regular talking (like our one) – which doesn't appear much in the show at all.
Which is good. The strategising, alliances and challenges are, mostly, really boring, and the don't happen organically on BBUS. If there are any strategies used, it's done in a deceiving and masterful way, whereas everyone in the US version just grabs someone and says "yo, let's be an alliance". There's nothing interesting about it IMHO.

Hmmm. I think by those standards you would far more enjoy Survivor than Big Brother. Don't get me wrong i love Survivor. But the essence of Big Brother is the fly on the wall concept coupled with the game strategy aspects. BBUS is just a game show. Watch BB Canada, that's a BBUS clone, so that's another you would like. I just get the feeling that you feel the chats between HM's are the most boring parts of the show, meaning this isn't the version for you.

I like how so many people are anti-this, yet BBAU 2013 had some components of the USA game.

Showdown was the Head of Household and Power of Veto competitions combined, with the winner:
- getting their own luxury room (though only for a night and not the entire week)
- able to remove any nominee they wanted from the threat of eviction (PoV-holder responsibility)
- able to name a replacement nominee (HoH responsibility)

Other than the nominations/eviction system and the ban on strategising, what was actually different?

I like how so many people are anti-this, yet BBAU 2013 had some components of the USA game.

Showdown was the Head of Household and Power of Veto competitions combined, with the winner:
- getting their own luxury room (though only for a night and not the entire week)
- able to remove any nominee they wanted from the threat of eviction (PoV-holder responsibility)

Other than the nominations/eviction system and the ban on strategising, what was actually different?
We've had that since 2005, essentially. It's just changed a lot. They're similar but no way are they the same.

The ban on alliances makes the biggest different IMO. You are right last year the swap n save was very similar to us bb, but because there was no outright strategy the show remained firmly on the more traditional bb format side.

Actually 3 HLs a week isn't enough. You sometimes to wait 4 days to actually see things that happened in the house and BB should be much more up to date, even more so with the competition results being so vital. Also it means it's very easy to get spoiled on what has happened on the internet. And the edit of the US shows is hardly neutral anyway.

Although the Aussie edit can hardly be described as neutral either - it's pretty blatant sometimes, and even more of an issue because the edit affects the outcome, unlike BBUSA.

Three shows a week works for me now with BBUSA - less is sometimes more and although the week could be structured a bit better (we tend to know who is being evicted before the nominations even air) it's just about right. They also haven't compromised on the live feed - yes there are blackouts for the competitions and ceremonies but otherwise they offer the same as they did at the very beginning and one of the few version to still offer multiple live feeds.

What Australia will be doing this year will be nothing like BBUSA at all. BBUSA is very structured and power is awarded pretty fairly - all HMs are eligible for it and although there have been instances where certain challenges seem to favour certain HMs, power still has to be won.

With BB Aus just like the awful BBUK: Power Trip it's already clear the real power is in the producers hands - there is no excuse at all for "power" to be awarded in the production office rather than in the house. IMO it's crucial that any element of one HM winning power over the others is fair - and that means they all get the opportunity to compete for it, whether that's in a competition, a viewer vote or a HM vote, or a housemate truly being randomly chosen to receive a power by coming to the diary room for example (and not producers waiting until their chosen one is the only person near the diary room before asking "someone" to visit them).

The blackouts on the US live feed are ridiculous. People pay a lot of money for the feed and the most important moments aren't shown. So you have a choice, watch the feeds and be spoiled by what the HGs reveal or wait quite a few days so you can enjoy the suspense of finally seeing the actual competitions. Not that the competitions are always great anyway, there's a lot of cheap quizes, which are often 50/50 guesses. Survivor is way more competitive and less dependant on luck, and without all the very frightened non-gameplay on BB.

At least they have live feeds though and although the outcome of the blacked out event is usually obvious minutes after they return the blackout themselves are relatively brief (BB Canada on the otherhand take the piss).

I don't think we should adopt BBUS style rules wholesale.

But I think that the ban on talking strategy could be lifted to see how the house would adapt. Whether they would be savvy enough to form the right bonds.

I think for one season it would lead to a nice balance between getting strategic insight into the housemates and it not completely dominating the experience like it does with the US version.

Back