Skip to main content

Report: "Uncertain future" after "ratings disaster"

The Bachelor(s) has been on borrowed time a few years whilst Masked Singer is just too costly.

Seems a second Survivor season will partly fill the gap next year so they will invest in content that pays, but like with most the industry nowadays its an extension of a franchise known to work.

Bringing this back on topic sadly after what Seven did Big Brother is probably considered by the industry in Australia to be a franchise that doesn't work now, although it's potential high volume of content would work in it's favour.
why is Masked Singer so expensive?

Article from Yahoo today says that BBAU has not been renewed:

The article also goes into some detail about people leaving the TV industry because there's so little work in Australia.

Youtube, Tiktok and streaming all factor into it but I still think the executives at 7, 9, 10 deserve some hefty blame for the sorry state of FTA in Australia.

TV was fairly experimental in the early 2000s, but from the 2010s everything became increasingly lazy and conservative and it all began circling the drain. Some of the problems:
  • Trying too hard to be family friendly but then getting confused about the audience (Big Brother Channel 9 era)
  • New formats were always too safe and boring as shit (Sonia Kruger mini golf show... honestly what the fuck)
  • New formats were mostly duplications of the US version with much lower production quality.
  • Same group of hosts from the 2000s always on rotation, even though they've become much too old for a young audience (Sonia Kruger, Osher Gunsburg, Hamish Blake)
  • Whenever a "legacy" format was rebooted, every decision possible was made to destroy the franchise to be "safer" (Big Brother Channel 7 era).
  • All the people who are good at coming up with ideas have likely left Australia for careers in the US and UK.
I watch FTA when I visit my parents and I always think "wow, they have just given up completely on any audience that isn't a retired boomer couple or a family with kids who have no energy to scroll streaming"

RIP FTA. You brought this on yourself.

The lack of scripted content is particularly noteable - yes drama has got way more expensive in recent years but elsewhere FTA channels have pivotted their strategies to continue to produce it - generally less hours but of a higher quality.

Anyone recall when the last year the three commercial networks had a more traditional schedule with different programmes each night rather than one multi-night franchise changing every few weeks? Even Big Brother on 10 largely left them able to schedule freely from 7.30pm, though of course more and more 7.30 shows were added in the latter years.

Last edited:
Obviously Ten started stripping shows with BB in 2001. Nine didn't start stripping until 2011 with The Block* (although prior to that they'd been running Two and a Half Men, at 7pm Monday to Friday. The popularity of that show on Nine never made sense to me).

I can't remember what Seven started stripping with. My Restaurant Rules, maybe? (edit: no, that was only Mondays and Thursdays)

* https://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/tv-and-radio/stripped-showntell-20111130-1o5mj.html

Obviously Ten started stripping shows with BB in 2001. Nine didn't start stripping until 2011 with The Block* (although prior to that they'd been running Two and a Half Men, at 7pm Monday to Friday. The popularity of that show on Nine never made sense to me).

I can't remember what Seven started stripping with. My Restaurant Rules, maybe? (edit: no, that was only Mondays and Thursdays)

* https://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/tv-and-radio/stripped-showntell-20111130-1o5mj.html
lol this article from 13 years ago promoting Sonia Kruger and Hamish and Andy as hosts of shows.
For real... Aus FTA cannibalised itself so bad.

Article from Yahoo today says that BBAU has not been renewed:

The article also goes into some detail about people leaving the TV industry because there's so little work in Australia.

Youtube, Tiktok and streaming all factor into it but I still think the executives at 7, 9, 10 deserve some hefty blame for the sorry state of FTA in Australia.

TV was fairly experimental in the early 2000s, but from the 2010s everything became increasingly lazy and conservative and it all began circling the drain. Some of the problems:
  • Trying too hard to be family friendly but then getting confused about the audience (Big Brother Channel 9 era)
  • New formats were always too safe and boring as shit (Sonia Kruger mini golf show... honestly what the fuck)
  • New formats were mostly duplications of the US version with much lower production quality.
  • Same group of hosts from the 2000s always on rotation, even though they've become much too old for a young audience (Sonia Kruger, Osher Gunsburg, Hamish Blake)
  • Whenever a "legacy" format was rebooted, every decision possible was made to destroy the franchise to be "safer" (Big Brother Channel 7 era).
  • All the people who are good at coming up with ideas have likely left Australia for careers in the US and UK.
I watch FTA when I visit my parents and I always think "wow, they have just given up completely on any audience that isn't a retired boomer couple or a family with kids who have no energy to scroll streaming"

RIP FTA. You brought this on yourself.
government policy settings, which were well intended but had negative consequences, hastened the decline of free tv in Australia too.

I think he's referring to the Aussie content quotas that were intended to prop the Australian TV industry up but just led to mass amounts of cheap reality tv with tonnes of cut corners.

Wouldn’t be surprised if Paramount’s new owners cut Ten loose.

I think he's referring to the Aussie content quotas that were intended to prop the Australian TV industry up but just led to mass amounts of cheap reality tv with tonnes of cut corners.
not to mention the additional genre-specific content quotas (children's, drama, etc.) which were well-intended but ended up with decades of home and away episodes featuring rinse and repeat storylines and cheesy children's programs that in some cases were literally watched by next to no one.

Here's what Media Watch had to say on the state of FTA last week:

Back