Skip to main content

R U OK Support Thread

An update on @Mr Stickyfingers
I spoke to his daughter earlier this evening. There has been very little change in a week. He is not quite so emotional but is mostly using a chart to communicate. He still has very little movement in his right side. Physio is planned for after the Public Holiday. He was able to tap out one message on a ipad, but it was a very slow tiring process. He is not currently seeing all our messages to him, but his daughter will tell him about them and expects that he will enjoy going through them all when he is well enough. I asked her to pass on all our love, and prayers, and good vibes and she and I will be in touch towards the end of the week.
God bless you Sticky !!

I spoke to his daughter earlier this evening. There has been very little change in a week. He is not quite so emotional but is mostly using a chart to communicate. He still has very little movement in his right side. Physio is planned for after the Public Holiday. He was able to tap out one message on a ipad, but it was a very slow tiring process. He is not currently seeing all our messages to him, but his daughter will tell him about them and expects that he will enjoy going through them all when he is well enough. I asked her to pass on all our love, and prayers, and good vibes and she and I will be in touch towards the end of the week.
God bless you Sticky !!
Thankyou for the update.

And add my many thanks @qtkt .......love to sticky and family......all of them, their load is way too heavy right now

Please keep my friend Jo in your prayers too, she is not doing well and had horrid news about her daughter today, life sure does pile on the blows sometimes.
Hope you are well :)

God bless you Sticky !!

Thank you for the update. I am happy just for his presence right now. But he better be ready in time for MasterChef! Put that down as your goal @Mr Stickyfingers! 😂😜

God bless you Sticky !!

Thanks for the update @qtkt . It's a great thing you are doing, as without this link to his family in the real world we would be left to fear the worst.
At least we now know his current state, and where there's life there's hope for a full recovery.

Thanks for the update @qtkt . It's a great thing you are doing, as without this link to his family in the real world we would be left to fear the worst.
At least we now know his current state, and where there's life there's hope for a full recovery.
Absolutely hoping for a full recovery.

I didn’t do anything. I’m grateful Sticky reached out through his daughter. With him not communicating well that must have been difficult. In talking to her it is obvious that the family all know the forum is important to him. I’m more than happy to give her a call to check on progress regularly.
It’s a bit weird that Sticky mentioned this plan just a week or so before his stroke.

And add my many thanks @qtkt .......love to sticky and family......all of them, their load is way too heavy right now

Please keep my friend Jo in your prayers too, she is not doing well and had horrid news about her daughter today, life sure does pile on the blows sometimes.
Hope you are well :)
Sorry to hear that kxk. Will up the prayers for Jo and her daughter to.

So sorry to read about Mr Stickyfingers.
I know I only come here once or twice a year, but over the years I have got to know the majority of the regular posters names, so it's sad to hear when someone's not well, or suffered something major.
All I've got to complain about is my big toe. I had an operation on it back in November. Osteoarthritis in my big toe joint had created a lot of pain and bone spurs which meant over the last few years my footwear has diminished down to one pair of flip-flops, so after a trip to an orthopedic surgeon who also told me I had no cartilage in it, I went ahead and had the surgery.
What I thought was going to be a breeze, hasn't been. It's still really painful, nearly 3 months later, but it is recovering - very very slowly. Even my partner recovered from his hip replacement faster. I'll never call it "just a toe" again!
Whenever I complain about something, I always hear or read about something awful and way more serious that has happened to someone else, and puts everything back into perspective.
All the best to Mr Stickyfingers and family.

Last edited:
Hoping your recovery continues quickly @February Our feet actually are our foundation and a problem with them can really impact on us.
I realize that now. I hadn't realized just how much your big toe actually does. Plus I'm a hairdresser, and being back at work after 10 days with the busiest time of the year to deal with, didn't help much 😶

Reactions: kxk
Having had bunion surgery on both feet over the years in my 20s, I appreciate the care needed for feet. Osteoarthritis is setting in and sometimes the pain because of it around the areas is horrible and it's well over thirty years ago that I had the surgeries. Look after yourself February and pamper those tootsies.

Having had bunion surgery on both feet over the years in my 20s, I appreciate the care needed for feet. Osteoarthritis is setting in and sometimes the pain because of it around the areas is horrible and it's well over thirty years ago that I had the surgeries. Look after yourself February and pamper those tootsies.
From what I've heard bunion surgery is worse, and both feet - ouch!
Yes, I was told even though the lump on my toe has gone, the osteoarthritis will still be in the joint, so there'll still be a bit of a niggle in there.
I'm due to see the surgeon next Wednesday, so I'll ask if I should it should still be feeling as it does, and I'm sure the answer will be yes. I thought (unrealistically) I'd be up and running after within a month *rolls eyes*

From what I've heard bunion surgery is worse, and both feet - ouch!
Yes, I was told even though the lump on my toe has gone, the osteoarthritis will still be in the joint, so there'll still be a bit of a niggle in there.
I'm due to see the surgeon next Wednesday, so I'll ask if I should it should still be feeling as it does, and I'm sure the answer will be yes. I thought (unrealistically) I'd be up and running after within a month *rolls eyes*
I did the operations four years apart. I was twenty for the first one. They essentially break your foot, remove the excess, straighten and then you're left in plaster with a broken foot for six weeks. This time of year too for both. Idiot me, lol. I think the process has changed now, from what I've heard, but I could be wrong.

I did the operations four years apart. I was twenty for the first one. They essentially break your foot, remove the excess, straighten and then you're left in plaster with a broken foot for six weeks. This time of year too for both. Idiot me, lol. I think the process has changed now, from what I've heard, but I could be wrong.
That sounds hideous! You'd think in 30 years they'd have found a better way of doing it, but depends, I guess, on the size of the bunions and how distorted the toes have become.
Where are you? I'm just glad mine was done at the start of summer (Aussie time of year), if I'd left it until later, I'd not get a winter shoe or boot on.
We're off to see a band in March and we're going to be in the standing area, I'm hoping by then I'll be able to get my old faithful Doc. Martens on to protect it, otherwise I'll wear the hospital sandal and make a point of limping 😅

That sounds hideous! You'd think in 30 years they'd have found a better way of doing it, but depends, I guess, on the size of the bunions and how distorted the toes have become.
Where are you? I'm just glad mine was done at the start of summer (Aussie time of year), if I'd left it until later, I'd not get a winter shoe or boot on.
We're off to see a band in March and we're going to be in the standing area, I'm hoping by then I'll be able to get my old faithful Doc. Martens on to protect it, otherwise I'll wear the hospital sandal and make a point of limping 😅
I'm in Melbourne.

I'm in Melbourne.
I thought you were going to say the UK or somewhere cold at this time of year where you couldn't get a shoe on. But then having your foot wrapped up in one of those boots in 40 degree heat wouldn't have been much fun either.
But if I'd have thought about it, unless you're an insomniac you wouldn't be posting at the same time 😄

Rather sad update on our friend @Mr Stickyfingers
There has been almost no improvement at all since he had the stroke - and that is nearing a month ago. He has absolutely no movement on his right side. He can talk a little but is difficult to understand. His ability to talk even that much comes and goes and he is also using a chart (pointing a finger at words and letters).
While his body is not co-operating, he is still the Mr Sticky we know. His daughter tells me he is still cheeky, telling jokes, swearing and beating them at a crossword game! Mrs Sticky needs our thoughts and prayers too. Hospital visiting is draining and she is also managing the house and Sticky's amazing garden with help from her daughter who lives 2 hours away. If any of you have had a loved one in hospital, you will know how tiring it is and how you don't eat or sleep properly.
On the positive side, he is enjoying watching every episode of "I'm a Celebrity" and his favourite was Jacqui Lambi. I imagine he was pretty crooked at her leaving.
I'll stay in touch with his daughter and let you know updates.

Back