Skip to main content

Opinion on Sonia? (vs Gretel?)

Gretel had some vocal haters during her run on the show

We're used to watching Gretel for years and from seeing how she was after years of doing it.. with saxon... sorry :)

Sonia is completely fine. Has she knocked it out of the park? No. However that would be extremely unlikely for anyone. It's a new gig, relaunch of the show, everything is a bit rusty. She isn't a bad host at all. In fact considering how it could go, she's doing a good job.

I really like Sonya a lot.

However I did always love a few things about Gretel, her cattiness to some of the housemates, the way she scolded the unruly crowds (I remember one guy yelled for her to "show us ya tits!" and she gave him hell. And her teribble outfits on evictions were classic. Just so much about her that polarized people and that was almost as much fun as the contestants.

And wasnt there a member here called 'the snipp' who hated Gretel? Used to love that poster! haha

I think Gretal's true genius has shown through with the woeful attempt from Kyle and Jackie, and Sonja's reasonable but hardly spectacular debut to her hosting.

She is a little bit wooden and awkward but there's definitely sparks of something good there, which will come with more experience at doing this show.

She really needs to stop that inane grin after linking to a VT though, and there are points where it feels like she's lunging towards the screen; it's quite an aggressive presenting style, but I'm sure that's just nerves.

I think she was better than Kyle and Jackie O, but not as good as Gretel.

She didn't seem very natural up there.

Kyle is great on the radio, and he was great as a judge on idol/xfactor, but he sucked terribly hosting big brother.

Gretel has one thing that Sonia lacks - intellect. Gretel has a very dry sense of humour that was delivered in a very subtle way, which is why I believe that many people just didn't "get her". Sonia is more 'manufactured', a bit fake.

I think Gretel was given a bit of "free reign" on what she said ... with only a few prompts from the control people via earplug. But I get the impression that Sonia, on the other hand, appears to be told everything that she should say via the earplug (ie, the show is now very "scripted"). It's like the show is making an effort to avoid any controversies (which have plagued previous Big Brothers). Perhaps I am wrong, but that is how it all looks to me. Sadly, this effort seems obvious and is not invisible.

If I am correct in my assumption that the show is way more "scripted" now, via the earplug, then it makes it difficult to compare Gretel over Sonia. If Sonia wasn't "scripted", then it would be easier to do the comparison.

If I am wrong about it being "scripted", then that's my comparison right there ... Sonia appears to come across as being "scripted", but Gretel was more spontaneous and able to ad-lib (making Gretel better than Sonia).

But, give Sonia a chance ... it's only day 3. Gretel got confidence from the benefit of time and doing many shows. I'm sure Gretel was a bit "rigid" in the first few shows too. Sonia's had only three days. Sonia is still finding her feet.

Last edited:
I think Sonia is doing a good job, 3 days in I think she's easing in fairly well. At the beginning she was a bit rigid - first ep, but she moved past that fairly fast in the first episode.

I mean it's been building for so long everyone kind of has expectations for the host & Gretel was Bacically the line in which every other host is expected to fill her shoes, it's a big job but I think she's up-to it.

I thought Sonia was OK dont really like her much, but better than Kyle and Jackie O who were woeful but Gretel was fantastic hosting BB and no one can replace her - wish Mickey was back doing uplate though:(

I have a problem with that huge fake smile she puts on her face at the end of every sentence. It is mildly to moderately psychotic.

I have a problem with that huge fake smile she puts on her face at the end of every sentence. It is mildly to moderately psychotic.

Yeah that's annoying me as well. It's like... big smile... NOW! Incredibly fake.

She's not too bad looking for an older lady, much better than any of the female housemates that's for sure.

I loved Gretel's style of commentating and am pleasantly surprised at what a good job Sonja is doing. So pleased BB is back, just want live feeds now. :rolleyes:

Back