Skip to main content

Opinion on Sonia? (vs Gretel?)

She seems almost slightly scared when she speaks.. maybe it's just me or the teleprompter she reads off. She doesn't seem to flow as good as Gretel did. Although I wasn't much a big fan of Gretel I still think she did a better job than Sonia is doing.

I'd have to agree with you Mr Tenant.

Who cares she was still the best host we've ever had and at least she came across as natural and honest, not like Kyle and Jackie O and Sonia, who I am willing to give the benefit of the doubt until I see what she's like during nominations and evictions.

Totally need to give her a fair go. People seem to love her on Mornings, and I reckon she was the best thing about Dancing with the Stars

That FAKE smile erks me to no end grrrrr

is she told to be like Gretal ffs?

Sonia is doing a very competent job, fronting a very tough gig (In shows like 'Dancing With the Stars', it is usually the judges that get all the heat, not the announcer). She is a safe pair of hands.
Still, I miss Gretel. With Gretel there was the impression that she could turn on a contestant at any minute, that (to quote Douglas Adams) "If she was fairly to be compared to a battleaxe it would only be to an exquisitely crafted, beautifully balanced battleaxe, with an elegant minimum of fine engraving which stopped just short of its gleaming razored edge"
I'm not sure Sonia would represent BBAu so well in an unexpected situation with Merlin, or Micheal - but then, there is to be no live suprise, no invasion of reality, in this incarnation of BB.
Also, I am shocked to discover Sonia is younger than Gretel. She looks older, in a Joan Rivers kind of way. Still, she is preventing me missing Gretel half as much as I thought I would, which is quite a trick to pull off.

The fake smile is what every announcer is obliged to do while the cameras change angles or go to edited footage. It is not her fault they take forever, and it is to her credit that she stays grinning like a loon rather than looking like something has gone wrong in the editing room, or acting like the camera is no longer live.

Last edited:
It was very clear that the producers were hoping to get a Davina style host out of Sonia. It was evident in the scripting... mainly the first lines "14 housemates, one winner, you decide!" which are very BBUK opening lines. You can also certainly hear Davina saying it, and the way Davina would say it, but Sonia basically shat herself on stage going: "14 HOUSEMATES! 1 winner... YOU DECIDE! (Point to camera or whatever).

Sonja is doing a very competent job, fronting a very tough gig (In shows like 'Dancing With the Stars', it is usually the judges that get all the heat, not the announcer). She is a safe pair of hands.

Still, I miss Gretel. With Gretel there was the impression that she could turn on a contestant at any minute, that (to quote Douglas Adams) "If she was fairly to be compared to a battleaxe it would only be to an exquisitely crafted, beautifully balanced battleaxe, with an elegant minimum of fine engraving which stopped just short of its gleaming razored edge"
I'm not sure Sonja would represent BBAu so well in an unexpected situation with Merlin, or Micheal - but then, there is to be no live suprise, no invasion of reality, in this incarnation of BB.
Also, I am shocked to discover Sonja is younger than Gretel. She looks older, in a Joan Rivers kind of way. Still, she is preventing me missing Gretel half as much as I thought I would, which is quite a trick to pull off.

The fake smile is what every announcer is obliged to do while the cameras change angles or go to edited footage. It is not her fault they take forever, and it is to her credit that she stays grinning like a loon rather than looking like something has gone wrong in the editing room, or acting like the camera is no longer live.

Please learn to spell - S-O-N-I-A

I think Sonia's doing a great job, but I also liked Gretel, can anybody tell me what is happening with the clothes...shocking...I'm sure its the same sylist Gretel had and she wore horrific clothes.... so far Sonia's alfoil pants and last night what is with the General jacket, so not co ordinated...the stylist needs to move on

Gretel has one thing that Sonia lacks - intellect. Gretel has a very dry sense of humour that was delivered in a very subtle way, which is why I believe that many people just didn't "get her". Sonia is more 'manufactured', a bit fake.
Actually agree with that - even though I didn't really rate Gretel at all towards the end.

Watching Sonia is way better than Gretel pointing her nostrils right down camera 1. Let the nerves settle and shell be great. When there's a controversy, we'll see how she handles it then. At least Sonia actually likes he show. Gretel never even knew what was going on in the house since her last shift.

Such early days to really judge.
Will be interesting to see how she goes when the preverbial hits the fan ..... oh and it will, it always does on BB.

Gretel was shit and you all seem to be wearing rose-coloured glasses when remembering the past seasons.

didnt like Sonya on the other channels show and dont like her on BB either...so far i am disappointed on the edited version of BB, coz thats what this series is...

Gretel was shit and you all seem to be wearing rose-coloured glasses when remembering the past seasons.

Gretal was a bitch 5 percent of the time. The rest of the time she was a confident, intelligent, funny and relatively likeable host. She also knew how to deal well with housemates during their nervous eviction interviews - with a few glaring exceptions which her haters will always focus on. I don't think Sonia will be able to handle evictions anywhere near as well.

Last edited:

Gretel was a brilliant host. She was very protective over the program and really did respect the show and the way it works. For Gretel, it was more than just being the face of the show.

Sonia has come from the Margaret Bland School of TV Hosting. I thought she might improve. Now I think not.

eviction shows will be the real test

very nostalgic about gretel reading the posts - how fun was it to love to hate her esp with her playing favourites

Back