Skip to main content

Nikki Grahame has died

I wonder where @bluegroper is? Poor guy must be devastated.

It hurts me to say this but if you’re lurking it’s ok to chime in. I’ll give you a pass for the next couple of weeks.

I think this is only a fraction of the story but it sounds like Nikki was incredibly let down by the health system, being discharged just 12 hours before her death. It sounds like off the back of the appeal a private clinic had accepted her, but required her to put on over a stone (she weighed as low as 3 and a half stone) as she was considered too much of a risk to take in below a certain weight. However it appears she ended up in A&E before that could happen having suffered a fall, was transferred to an NHS eating disorder clinic and was then discharged due to the presumption of further treatment being about to start. She weighed less than 5 stone at her death.

I thought they would - still so many questions over what went wrong in how her case was handled so suspect it'll be very similar in style to the Caroline Flack documentary.

A difficult but worthy watch and ultimately one that treats Nikki, the illness, and indeed Big Brother with respect. Indeed it's refreshing to have such a documentary not be a beat up of reality TV - her friends and family are unequivocal that it saved her life and after hearing more about the 11 years in childhood she spent in various clinic it does make you see some things differently. Her diary room tantrums for example can be linked to visits to a "screaming tree" when she was in the clinics, and the Big Brother house was somewhere she clearly felt safe - kind of mimiced that institutionalised environment.

From a trivial point of view too C4 always treat archive Big Brother pretty well - and the few well curated clips here really gave me goosebumps. It really was reality TV unfiltered back then and all the better for it, whilst nowadays it feels like so called reality TV hides itself behind a superficial facade.

Also another of the BB7 alumni has been in the headlines recently with Glyn announcing he is becoming a priest. He was interviewed on This Morning earlier today, hosted by ex-BBLB presenter Dermot and BB3 housemate Alison Hammond. Dermot speaks about the show with such fondness now, as he does about Nikki in the documentary.

BB3 housemate Alison Hammond
The fact that she’s gone on to make a name for herself as a presenter really speaks to the phenomenon that was BB in the early 2000’s. WatchMojo UK just did a video about BBUK in which she was briefly featured… Apparently after just 15 days in the house she was too popular to return to civilian life.

Just finished the documentary and while her and family credit BB with saving her life… I think secretly she knew she would probably never live a full life and her time in the spotlight was her way of making the most of whatever time she had.

Just finished the documentary and while her and family credit BB with saving her life… I think secretly she knew she would probably never live a full life and her time in the spotlight was her way of making the most of whatever time she had.

I think she felt protected in there, sort of like when she was in hospital etc. No outside interference.

Back