Skip to main content

Money or Fame?

I don't know about BBAU but most folks go into BBUS for the stipend & the chance at winning. BBUS pays I think $750US a week so if they make it to the jury house, it's $10,000 for 3 months laying out by the pool with no outgo for food, rent, utilities, booze, etc.
The problem with bbaus is that the stipend is effectively minimum wage and considering the average Australia is earning significantly higher than that the only way you would gain from it is if you were unemployed which I guess at least two hm are

i think everyone has a varying desire for fame and/or notoreity and/or a unique experience. If I had to put them in two buckets, the kinds of people who try out for BB are either:

a) those whose priority is to get a shortcut to the fame or money, most likely because of their budding career in entertainment, or
b) those whose priority is to get the experience of a lifetime, most likely because they aren't in a career track where the boost will help them

Definitely for the fame or popularity, or at least by making it through the first two evictions.

I certainly wouldn't think of the money if I were to go in, but on how far I make it through the game (I'd come out happy if I were evicted at the 7th spot).

I probably wouldn't go on BB but if I did, it would be for the experience and the money would be a bonus. Doing it just for the money wouldn't be good because I'd have very little chance of actually winning. Also I wouldn't go on BB just for the fame because I have no use for it, but I wouldn't mind because I'd probably get forgotten pretty quickly.

I've always wondered why a person would go on big brother for the money. $250,000 is hardly life changing you can't even get like half a house for that.. and yet the effort you have to go to in order to win is extreme. So do you believe the housemates are really there for the money or the fame?

...but just think about all the shoes you could buy for it
8.gif

I think nowadays the money is a second consideration, they all want the fame.

Compared to 2001 the yoof cultcha now is all about being an attention whore and this has been perpetuated by the internet and social media. You can see it in how many "aspiring actor / model / dancer"s there are in the house.

I think nowadays the money is a second consideration, they all want the fame.

Compared to 2001 the yoof cultcha now is all about being an attention whore and this has been perpetuated by the internet and social media. You can see it in how many "aspiring actor / model / dancer"s there are in the house.

that's a fair point. a lot of the 20-somethings these days have grown up with smartphones, facebook, twitter and a dozen other social media sites where everyone broadcasts themselves 24/7. far from having an expectation of privacy, there's a culture of one-upmanship in terms of exposing one's self. *cough*

I don't think anyone goes in there for the money alone. You'd have to think extremely highly of yourself to do that. There has to be people who genuinely want to have the unique experience..it's not just fame imo.

The main problem I have with people's "experience" and i suppose is the basis of my resentment towards it, is that it's generally considered to be the nice-guy, wholesome, goody-two-shoes, oh aren't they a sweetheart approach to the show while someone with a clear goal of financial gain or career development is considered a no-no and the stigma attached to it that someone must be "evil" or has "bad intentions" because of those goals is stupid and ill-conceived in my opinion. If anything those goals make the individual more interesting and drama usually follows if housemates know of said individuals intentions. Then if you add precedence on top of that by going back past episodes you will find the vast majority of those that say they're there for the experience alone have been absolutely boring. I just can't help the way i feel, after so many seasons of this show it's about time we get a new class of housemate, one that's honest about their intentions to the public but can get up to mischief in the house without the audience turning on them because it's considered "bad mannered" or "he/she is so fake", i just want change not the same plot with different faces.

I think that is slowly changing though. I feel like this year especially people are much more up front about their gameplay and their tactics. "Playing the game" isn't quite the negative it used to be. I think this turnaround started when BB started saying during nominations that "playing the game" wasn't a good enough reason by itself because they were all, by definition, playing a game. It's got a long way to go, but I'm sure seasons ago if Tim had been as open as he is about his worries about beating Ben, or his efforts to play housemates against each other etc, the public would have turn on him instantly. Nowadays I think the audience respects that it is a game show.

I've said this before on here but I'm a big Survivor fan first and foremost and I love how tactically deep that show is and how, compared to BB, people who don't play the game are viewed as lazy, squandering an opportunity, or they just downright don't respect the game enough to be worthy winners. BB is so hung up on this idea of "genuine" though. It really underlines how much like politics the show is. The housemates are candidates doing their best to sabotage each other in the eyes of their voters (the audience). On Survivor you can be honest in confessionals as the confessionals come after the game is completed, but in BB your voters are the audience, we are part of the game, we're the ones being played. There is no "genuine", there is just what you do and what you don't do.

I think it's a good thing too. I don't want a direct rip-off of Survivor, and I do find the social experiment side of BB interesting, but I don't want the show to be nothing but a popularity contest. I mean that's a big part of it, but I like to hope that whoever wins got there through some effort on top of "being themselves".

well it has started off a career for a few of them. its all been worth it for those few, and they didnt even win.

What I find ironically amusing is that the biggest career-whores - Hotdogs, Gianna, Gaelan, Krystal, Danielle, Rachel, Ben '01 & Ava all come to mind - have all disappeared without a trace.

You see going on BB gives you the opportunity to make money even if you don't win. The amount of appearances you would be asked to do would be enough to make your wallet a little bit thicker. For me I would do it for the money, the experience and even the fame. It can be a life changing experience if you let it.

In all honesty living in a house cut off from society, free from phones, internet, tv and the usual hustle of daily life is such a cool experience. More people have been to space than lived in the BB house. I just think being in that house would be so surreal and unforgettable. You're off work and you are taken away from your life to live it with a bunch of strangers. It looks like such a great journey which sounds extremely cliche.

I don't know about BBAU but most folks go into BBUS for the stipend & the chance at winning. BBUS pays I think $750US a week so if they make it to the jury house, it's $10,000 for 3 months laying out by the pool with no outgo for food, rent, utilities, booze, etc.

They've pretty much got money to throw away in America, but I'm not sure anywhere else in a normal Big Brother (not the celeb version obviously) gets paid much, so most just go in as they want fame/are a fan. I doubt many just go in to win as that is completely outside of your control.

The main problem I have with people's "experience" and i suppose is the basis of my resentment towards it, is that it's generally considered to be the nice-guy, wholesome, goody-two-shoes, oh aren't they a sweetheart approach to the show while someone with a clear goal of financial gain or career development is considered a no-no and the stigma attached to it that someone must be "evil" or has "bad intentions" because of those goals is stupid and ill-conceived in my opinion. If anything those goals make the individual more interesting and drama usually follows if housemates know of said individuals intentions. Then if you add precedence on top of that by going back past episodes you will find the vast majority of those that say they're there for the experience alone have been absolutely boring. I just can't help the way i feel, after so many seasons of this show it's about time we get a new class of housemate, one that's honest about their intentions to the public but can get up to mischief in the house without the audience turning on them because it's considered "bad mannered" or "he/she is so fake", i just want change not the same plot with different faces.

That is all coming from you.

Can that be true? How many people have been to space?

BB houses in Aus, UK, Us, Nederland, S Africa, France, Germany. Not all every year, so say 5 countries per year. Say 15 contestants on average per country? Are 75 people going to space per year?

BB houses in Aus, UK, Us, Nederland, S Africa, France, Germany. Not all every year, so say 5 countries per year. Say 15 contestants on average per country? Are 75 people going to space per year?

This page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_space_travelers_by_name puts the list at 537 people at the most flexible definition. I started counting the BB seasons listed at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Brother_(TV_series) and...stopped at 100. I think BB wins! =P

I honestly think Ben from this year wants nothing more then the experience. Hes probably the only HM in there who probably thinks to himself "What the hell am i doing here!", the others ALL know what they're doing.

I've always wondered why a person would go on big brother for the money. $250,000 is hardly life changing you can't even get like half a house for that and yet the effort you have to go to in order to win is extreme. So do you believe the housemates are really there for the money or the fame?

Given most of them have some kind of entertainment background, I'm going to say it's just to up their little careers. Helping the suffering entertainment industry

Back