Skip to main content

Money or Fame?

buck1106

I've always wondered why a person would go on big brother for the money. $250,000 is hardly life changing you can't even get like half a house for that and yet the effort you have to go to in order to win is extreme. So do you believe the housemates are really there for the money or the fame?

I've always wondered why a person would go on big brother for the money. $250,000 is hardly life changing you can't even get like half a house for that and yet the effort you have to go to in order to win is extreme. So do you believe the housemates are really there for the money or the fame?

Probably both and also for the experience.

Either or both! That's my answer, $250,000 IS life changing if you know what to do with it and not be an idiot and spend it all at once or on trivial things. Hell putting $250,000 just in a high interest bank account can do a lot for someone who's living hand to mouth. The one thing that's always been a problem for me though is housemates saying they do it for the "experience"... come on, bullshit i say. To me that's a captain obvious statement, isn't that automatcially implied? I never heard anyone say "I'm going skydiving for the experience", or "We're starting a family for the experience" no it's "I'm going skydiving" or "We're having a baby" it's implied that OF COURSE you're doing it for the experience. BUT! If they're only doing it for the experience then why aren't people locking themselves up with strangers in a house with stockpiles of food for 3 months? Oh, that's right because it's not televised or doesn't have a cash prize. Sorry for the rant but i hate when housemates say "for the experience" just be honest and say "I want the money to make my life a little easier" or "I would love the exposure to further my career" I would applaud and even admire that approach from someone. Phew, end rant.

People go on it for different reasons.

They take a break out for there normal live. They want something different. So if they are popular in the house, they will become famous, if they are lucky they will win the 250k.

To be honest if that was me. it wouldn't change who I really am in real life. But would give me a reason to get out of my life at the moment.

Either or both! That's my answer, $250,000 IS life changing if you know what to do with it and not be an idiot and spend it all at once or on trivial things. Hell putting $250,000 just in a high interest bank account can do a lot for someone who's living hand to mouth. The one thing that's always been a problem for me though is housemates saying they do it for the "experience"... come on, bullshit i say. To me that's a captain obvious statement, isn't that automatcially implied? I never heard anyone say "I'm going skydiving for the experience", or "We're starting a family for the experience" no it's "I'm going skydiving" or "We're having a baby" it's implied that OF COURSE you're doing it for the experience. BUT! If they're only doing it for the experience then why aren't people locking themselves up with strangers in a house with stockpiles of food for 3 months? Oh, that's right because it's not televised or doesn't have a cash prize. Sorry for the rant but i hate when housemates say "for the experience" just be honest and say "I want the money to make my life a little easier" or "I would love the exposure to further my career" I would applaud and even admire that approach from someone. Phew, end rant.

See, I totally WOULD shut myself in a house with strangers for three months for the experience of it minus the cameras, because I think it would be really fascinating. But that's not really an option in real life. I mean, how do you approach people for that? And how do you find a house big enough, and get paid a set weekly amount so you don't have to go to your job. From a psychological standpoint, I'd LOVE the experience of it, but id never go on big brother BECAUSE of the cameras and notoriety. So I don't write people off automatically for saying that they're going in there for the experience. But it takes a special sort of person to put themselves in the limelight and have their every movement watched for three months.

well it has started off a career for a few of them. its all been worth it for those few, and they didnt even win.

Thaaaaank you!

Bit of both.

Some are definitely in for the money, I know Peter Corbett was and he (deservingly!!!) won in 2002. Obviously there are a whole heap of fame whores too.

There are also a small handful who just love the concept and the "social experiment" aspect of it all... although the percentage of these people seem to be dwindling and have well and truly be thwarted by those pursuing fame and money.

They are all here for the money but the fame is a bonus

When I was young and the show was starting, I was obsessed with the idea of going on it and had no interest in the money or the fame, I just wanted that once in a lifetime experience. I'm not interested anymore in being on the show, but if I did it would totally be for the money. But also the experience to an extent. I mean, that's the reason you do most things, isn't it?

250k would be pretty life changing for most people I would say. As for fame, I have never really watched the show before but how many past contestants have gone onto have some success after bb? I can think of less than a handful myself. It begs the question, who from this season will be known in a year? Tully is clearly a camera whore but I think she'll be quickly forgotten. I could see Tim having post bb success but noone else. Maybe ss could be social commentators ;)

250k would be pretty life changing for most people I would say. As for fame, I have never really watched the show before but how many past contestants have gone onto have some success after bb? I can think of less than a handful myself. It begs the question, who from this season will be known in a year? Tully is clearly a camera whore but I think she'll be quickly forgotten. I could see Tim having post bb success but noone else. Maybe ss could be social commentators ;)

Yep, I can count on one hand the HMs who have had achieved on going fame from their time on BB. Not just media careers but actual fame.

Tim and Tahan will probably get some semblance of a television career, but I base this purely on the fact that they have both already had TV presenting jobs.

It is possible Jade will appear in some Channel 9 drama, but we shall see. I don't know what her acting skills are like. Plus her agency is shitehouse.

It wouldn't surprise me if Tully generated a career out of this. She studied journalism at uni and is actually a really good writer, she is more interested in print journalism than broadcast... but who knows?

Are you serious?

$250 000 is not life changing? I am not sure what land of fortune you live on, but to most in here, $250k is life changing.

And all the effort you have to go to? By that you mean living your dream and having the best time in the BB house, I mean what's to hate? It's not like you are in Survivor being eaten alive by insects, half starving and having to eat boiled buffalo balls in order to win immunity.

I believe the housemates go in there for a bit of column A (money) and a bit of column B (fame)

Put it this way, someone who desperately wanted to avoid fame, would also avoid going on BB at all costs.

And then, think of George last year. Obviously not in it for the money. But is now apparently an actor, so obviously the fame on some level.

I don't know about BBAU but most folks go into BBUS for the stipend & the chance at winning. BBUS pays I think $750US a week so if they make it to the jury house, it's $10,000 for 3 months laying out by the pool with no outgo for food, rent, utilities, booze, etc.

I would do it for the experience. No interest in fame, but interested to see how I would respond to being watched. Some people think differently to other people in the world. The thief thinks everyone steals etc.

I would do it for the experience. No interest in fame, but interested to see how I would respond to being watched. Some people think differently to other people in the world. The thief thinks everyone steals etc.

The main problem I have with people's "experience" and i suppose is the basis of my resentment towards it, is that it's generally considered to be the nice-guy, wholesome, goody-two-shoes, oh aren't they a sweetheart approach to the show while someone with a clear goal of financial gain or career development is considered a no-no and the stigma attached to it that someone must be "evil" or has "bad intentions" because of those goals is stupid and ill-conceived in my opinion. If anything those goals make the individual more interesting and drama usually follows if housemates know of said individuals intentions. Then if you add precedence on top of that by going back past episodes you will find the vast majority of those that say they're there for the experience alone have been absolutely boring. I just can't help the way i feel, after so many seasons of this show it's about time we get a new class of housemate, one that's honest about their intentions to the public but can get up to mischief in the house without the audience turning on them because it's considered "bad mannered" or "he/she is so fake", i just want change not the same plot with different faces.

its pretty obvious... they want the crib, they wants the chicks... they want the MONEY MONEY MONEY!

god i hate that song.

Are you serious?

$250 000 is not life changing? I am not sure what land of fortune you live on, but to most in here, $250k is life changing.

And all the effort you have to go to? By that you mean living your dream and having the best time in the BB house, I mean what's to hate? It's not like you are in Survivor being eaten alive by insects, half starving and having to eat boiled buffalo balls in order to win immunity.

I believe the housemates go in there for a bit of column A (money) and a bit of column B (fame)

Yep I'm serious 250000 dollars is not enough to change a person's life in the long run. I guess it all relative and considering this is the lowest real prize money in big brother Australia history it is a legitimate question to ask.

Effort in terms of the fact you are one of thousands of Australia who applied to be on big brother and you must be a stand out to win it. So I do not think one could apply for the show with the sole purpose of money.

I'd rather win 250k for being on TV than not have it at all. So it is kinda 'life changing'... They could afford a decent deposit on a house, a car maybe? a decent extended holiday around the world? I'd say getting that kind of lump sum would be beneficial for most.

Though, I'd say majority of it do it for their 15min of fame, and the experience. It would be pretty cool to be on Big Brother if that was something you'd want to do.

Back