Skip to main content

Melbourne Cup...

Do horses often die after a race?

I have never been to the races, and don't know much about it.

But seems so weird that horse won the Caulfield Cup, is worth millions I expect, so WTF happened,
or happens to kill a poor creature like that?

Do horses often die after a race?

I have never been to the races, and don't know much about it.

But seems so weird that horse won the Caulfield Cup, is worth millions I expect, so WTF happened,
or happens to kill a poor creature like that?

They don't often die.
They can be put down if they break a leg mid-race, as happened last year. Simply put, it's more humane to do that than to have the horse continue in the pain.
Sort of highlights the other side to the event. But imo, I find it kind of hard to side with the people who are getting on the horse-racing hate-wagon but will go back to buying cage eggs/chicken and pet-store puppies/kittens next week.

Melbourne Cup runner Araldo has been put down after fracturing his leg by being spooked by a waving flag post-race.

I am glad they are investigating. It's horrible.

I feel bad now saying I won money on all 3 in the winners circle, but I did.

So upset by this :cry: The boys have been asking about the horsies and if they get to go on holidays now :(

And especially the fact that Araldo was fine before and in the race as far as I can tell, he only got freaked out when a kid waved a flag right at him afterwards :( Just that one action!

I am glad they are investigating. It's horrible.

I feel bad now saying I won money on all 3 in the winners circle, but I did.

I agree. and congrats on your win regardless :)

So upset by this :cry: The boys have been asking about the horsies and if they get to go on holidays now :(

And especially the fact that Araldo was fine before and in the race as far as I can tell, he only got freaked out when a kid waved a flag right at him afterwards :( Just that one action!

I agree. and congrats on your win regardless :)

There had to be something amiss as he was fine and dandy, not even blinkered to be placed into the stalls ( and I know Red Cadeaux's head WAS covered as was skittish). Something is weird for that action to freak him out and cause the horrific outcome. It makes no sense. I don't know how you will even talk about this to your boys...:( I suppose it depends on their age. except perhaps be honest and say he was hurt really badly and the best thing for him to do was help him not hurt anymore. (giving you a mum hug)

There had to be something amiss as he was fine and dandy, not even blinkered to be placed into the stalls ( and I know Red Cadeaux's head WAS covered as was skittish). Something is weird for that action to freak him out and cause the horrific outcome. It makes no sense. I don't know how you will even talk about this to your boys...:( I suppose it depends on their age. except perhaps be honest and say he was hurt really badly and the best thing for him to do was help him not hurt anymore. (giving you a mum hug)
It just doesn't make sense! such an awful thing to happen.

They are too young to understand it yet I think, but even the idea I will eventually have to talk about it with them is horrible. Thank you!X

It just doesn't make sense! such an awful thing to happen.

They are too young to understand it yet I think, but even the idea I will eventually have to talk about it with them is horrible. Thank you!X

Just going to say that I don't know you, but it's clear you are a caring mum and person, to worry about how to broach this with your little guys but to also show genuine compassion about the plight of the horse. No matter how you eventually opt to handle it, I have no doubt it will be in the best way for you and for them. You have very fortunate sons. :)

Heart attack, WTF?

Is this common? Poor thing.

And please note it was a grown man waving a flag that upset the 2nd horse, not kids, poor kids always getting blamed.

Thorough bred horses are so fidgety and highly strung I am amazed they have been leading them through crowds,
so close for so bloody long.

Back