Skip to main content

Melbourne Cup...

Cornflake Girl

Awesome site donor
Any gamblers here?

Have just finished comprehensive analysis :wink: and have decided on Who Shot Thebarman. He's Kiwi like me, has a great win record, isn't carrying too much weight and fixed odds have him at $16 for the win, versus already $11 on the tote, so potential CA-CHING if he does it!

Who's everyone going or am I a sole voice of Racing Fan... (My families history dictates I must follow racing, so have TAB account, and flutter once a month or so)... :blackalien:

I haven't really given it any thought. I know I'm not working which is nice. Ok, on your comprehensive analysis and just then serendipitously on the sports report on the Channel 10 news mentioning that the horse will have a good run, a few of my hard earned will make their way to it. A fiver each way I think. Off to google the silks colours and the colour of the horse. Big things in my mind. I will always favour a grey whenever I've gone to the track. I'm Melbourne born and bred so an interest however fleeting is a must do.

Well, I appreciate your faith and hope you don't kill me if it drops it's rider and finishes on Wednesday!

Haha, a tenner won't kill me and it's pay day on Wednesday. The thing with the Cup is that it's anyone's race for a large part of it. The ones who get out first and fade after the second turn, the favourites who then come up and steal the win or coast into it. It's all part of the fun and spectacle. As long as the screens don't come out.

Not a gambler at all but I'll be placing a bet nonetheless as it's the Melbourne Cup after all.

I usually pick the horse solely based on the jockeys colours because I am a tragic homosexual.
I usually go for silks and colour of the horse unless the odds are too good.

I'm definitely a gambler and an avid horse racing fan but for some reason this year I haven't been into it at all. I didn't even go to any races during Spring Carnival although my family went.

That being said, I'm going to put a bet on whatever horse Tommy Berry is riding after watching him on 60 Minutes last night. That story made me cry so I figure that's a good enough reason as any for a blind bet!

I'm definitely a gambler and an avid horse racing fan but for some reason this year I haven't been into it at all. I didn't even go to any races during Spring Carnival although my family went.

That being said, I'm going to put a bet on whatever horse Tommy Berry is riding after watching him on 60 Minutes last night. That story made me cry so I figure that's a good enough reason as any for a blind bet!

Meeee too (crying) but his horse was scratched :frown:

Not a gambler at all but I'll be placing a bet nonetheless as it's the Melbourne Cup after all.

I usually pick the horse solely based on the jockeys colours because I am a tragic homosexual.

Worse ways of picking! My husband normally chooses names and it bugs me he does so well. My best friend bets twice a year, and chooses number 11. She won $400 on a long shot one race meeting we were at a few years ago...

Quick question though what sort of bet do I actually want to make?

Because every year I have the same conversation with the nice TAB man where he asks me what type of bet I want to place causing me to blankly stare at him for a moment before saying 'on a horse'. This is usually followed by a quick once over from the nice TAB man who pauses briefly on my lovely paisley shirt before a knowing smile crosses his face and he starts to explain all the different types of bets to me. This long explanation elicits a lot of moans of what I can only assume is pleasure from Brisbane's finest queued behind me.

So yeah maybe this year I can go prepared?

Because every year I have the same conversation with the nice TAB man where he asks me what type of bet I want to place causing me to blankly stare at him for a moment before saying 'on a horse'. This is usually followed by a quick once over from the nice TAB man who pauses briefly on my lovely paisley shirt before a knowing smile crosses his face and he starts to explain all the different types of bets to me. This long explanation elicits a lot of moans of what I can only assume is pleasure from Brisbane's finest queued behind me.

If you just want to put $ on a horse to win just say you'd like $50 or whatever on xyz to win. If you want to have a better chance of a payout, you can take them each way so that if it comes 1, 2 or 3 you still get some money back. That'll cost you double so say if you want to spend a total of $50 tell them you want $25 on xyz each way. Or if you're not so sure the horse will win but think it can come 1, 2 or 3 then say you'd like $50 on it to place. :)

Well an each way bet is your safest option (I am talking horses here btw) :p. A daily double (still talking horses) pick first and second. But if you are feeling daring, a box trifecta would be an awesome pay out (yes still talking horses and not a menage a trois).;)

I always bet each way. Especially in Melbourne Cup, where place dividends are always higher due to the large size of the field. So if you want to spend $10, and the horse is paying $15 for a win, and $5 for the place, and you bet $5 each way, you get x5 the win and place amount if they win. ($15 x $5 = $75) plus $5x$5 = $25 so $100 all up return!

If they get 2nd or 3rd you still get the place amount, so $25 for that!

You can do trifectas (choosing 1st, 2nd or 3rd) but you'd have to be very lucky! Quinellas means choosing 1st and 2nd... If you box them, you can choose as many horses as you like but of course that gets expensive! I'm not sure about the cost here though...

The other option is go online to TAB and just bet online to save yourself the torture. Really rude you've been patronised, by the way!

I was at the TAB waiting for it to open at 10am this morning to put my bets on. Don't know if I've I got a problem waiting for it to open or being smart putting them on early?
Nah, I put my bets on this afternoon. Can't get to the TAB tomorrow (work). Lol, it's never too early to put bets on. ;)

Back