Skip to main content

Masterchef 2017

Her reaction to how she felt about Ben cutting himself ("I wasn't there!") was amusing. Peter Hellier suggested that she left the sharpest knife lying around.

Where was she? Should we be suspicious?

Yeah it made me wonder, could be that they filmed two different endings, or did she just mean she was on the other side of the wall and that's why she didn't see Ben cut himself?

...actually Meglos... I think that you're right about Diana being on either the other side of the room or the wall... she wasn't aware that he had done it until perhaps when the medic came in and fixed him up and the gantry up top made a song and dance about it most likely but yes... that sharpest knife sticking out precariously does make one wonder doesn't it qtkt?... lol!... cheers.

Thanks for the invite Timmy. I would like to play but Im not sure if I can meet the week to week requirements and I would hate to take up a spot for someone who is able to be more committed.
Im not even sure exactly how the comp works but I imagine there would be some degree of commitment and consistency and I will be able to watch only sporadically.
Best of luck for the comp and those participating. I hope to post in the show thread as much as I can.

...that's really good of you to say that Fuzz and not take a spot that someone else can take... there's bound to be late-comers that will I imagine?... but good on you for being so ho0nest about it my friend... cheers.

...wow!... 9 posts in a row Sticky!... you can't say that I haven't done my bit to get this thread to 400 pages at least can you?... lol!... cheers.

...I watch anything with Nigella Lawson in it (because I'm in love with her most likely)... and also Maggie Beer/Jamie Oliver/Luke Nguyen and also Simon Bryant (who co starred with Maggie in 'The Cook and the Chef' a few years back)... I sometimes watch Kylie Kwong and Poh Ling Yeow on occasions too... all of these Chefs and Cooks all cook meals that you or I could cook and not the pretentious wankery stuff that we've been watching in the last few weeks!... that's why I like all of them... and for a laugh I like to watch the British show 'come dine with me' just for good measure lol!... oh!... and there's this old Italian lady called 'Gladia' or something like that who I like too on Foxtel... she cracks me up big time!... lol!... cheers.
Apart from Nigella, I like your choices.

I feel like a fruit trio for breakfast - but I've only got 6 minutes not 6 hours so I guess I'll have to eat my mandarin, apple and pear from the original packaging.

...bwahahahahaha!... well done qtkt!... you've not only cracked me up first thing in the morning but also my sweet darling wife with that comment my sweet Vicar of Dibley!... that is so funny!... thanks for the laugh so early in the day!... lol!... cheers.

MasterChef finale: Network Ten explains scoreboard error

Channel Ten has been forced to defend allegations that the MasterChef finale was “rigged”.

At the end of Monday night’s two-and-a-half-hour finale, Diana Chan defeated Ben Ungermann by just one point which many viewers thought was just a little too “convenient”.

To add weight to the disgruntled viewers claims that the result was dodgy, two scoreboards were shown during the finale, one which declared Ben had won 90 to 89 and another which showed Diana was the victor with 90 points to Ben’s 89.

fcde69c8f321a700bc29f82ef53fd0cd

http://www.news.com.au/entertainmen...r/news-story/6810d69d3f29780ea4d57bbc96b95eb8

So both endings has the same score, but a different winner.

In my opinion Diana deserved to win as she was the better cook overall BUT she should not have won after the scores were where they were before the final round. Ben didn't make as many mistakes in the final dish as she did and there's no way her trio deserved a 9.

Personally, I reckon filming two endings is a ridiculous way to go about it. But MKR apparently does the same. If you want to maintain secrecy why not cross to them each at a party with family and friends and make the announcement of final scores and winner live? It worked for House rules - though they didn't do it this year.

...bwahahahahaha!... well done qtkt!... you've not only cracked me up first thing in the morning but also my sweet darling wife with that comment my sweet Vicar of Dibley!... that is so funny!... thanks for the laugh so early in the day!... lol!... cheers.
I'm kind of overwhelmed with mandarins at the moment. I have a small tree but a number of my parishioners have big ones and keep gifting me with the fruit. I've got about 50 in the fridge at the moment and I'm regifting bags of them wherever I go.

Having said that, lately I've been spending my lunch breaks sitting in the sun in my back yard. To finish off I pick a mandarin and eat it straight from the tree, warm from the sun. No amount of hours or skills in the kitchen could make anything more delicious.

I'm off for one now.

MasterChef finale: Network Ten explains scoreboard error

Channel Ten has been forced to defend allegations that the MasterChef finale was “rigged”.

At the end of Monday night’s two-and-a-half-hour finale, Diana Chan defeated Ben Ungermann by just one point which many viewers thought was just a little too “convenient”.

To add weight to the disgruntled viewers claims that the result was dodgy, two scoreboards were shown during the finale, one which declared Ben had won 90 to 89 and another which showed Diana was the victor with 90 points to Ben’s 89.

fcde69c8f321a700bc29f82ef53fd0cd

http://www.news.com.au/entertainmen...r/news-story/6810d69d3f29780ea4d57bbc96b95eb8

So both endings has the same score, but a different winner.

...hahaha!... I wonder how many of us that sits down and reads this just sits there with an all-knowing smug grin on their faces and thinks to themselves "ha!... we knew it!... we all said so on this thread and we all just KNEW IT!... proof at last!"... all of us I imagine!... no surprises there eh?... lol!... cheers.

@Mr Stickyfingers give the bachelor a go just for laughs, I could care less about that part, just watch for frocks, bitchin, drunks embarass themselves.
I still kind of feel it is bordering on prostitution...............but it is almost classy compared to so much RTV drivel around now.
And this guy is actually really nice - I have hated all the previous dudes and females really....and never watch the entire thing, dates especially shit me.

Just dip your toe in tonight - this bit is pure fun

...jeez Affable... I was so shocked when some of the favourites went out so quickly in some events in the final show tonight... the rock climber/the long lanky ex ginger guy and the fuzzy haired dude just to name a few... I was really wanting them to climb that last rope up the mountain but they came nowhere near it!... did I hear them say that it took 7 seasons in the USA for someone to conquer it?... haha!... for me to say that it's good to watch just for a laugh in my previous post it came mighty close to me to actually liking the show after tonight's efforts... but only close to liking it... it's a 'filler' type show for me while waiting inbetween my favourite shows at this stage lol!... cheers.

Yeah, it took 7 seasons for someone from the US to beat the course. It will probably take a while here as well.

In my opinion Diana deserved to win as she was the better cook overall BUT she should not have won after the scores were where they were before the final round. Ben didn't make as many mistakes in the final dish as she did and there's no way her trio deserved a 9.

Personally, I reckon filming two endings is a ridiculous way to go about it. But MKR apparently does the same. If you want to maintain secrecy why not cross to them each at a party with family and friends and make the announcement of final scores and winner live? It worked for House rules - though they didn't do it this year.

Ben did have errors though, apart from the crystallised center, his pear is too thick.

Also, interesting comments from Gary's instagram on Diana.
"To @diana.chan.au you deserved the win & don't let anyone tell you otherwise. The food you cooked in the semi final & grand finale was outstanding. Not every comment makes it through the edit which is a shame but we ate it no one else did...on the money & delicious. Now over to you a big bright & shiny future."

Perhaps her apple and pear is better than Ben's but Ben has better presentation and mandarin, but wasn't mentioned in the show? We never know, and that sucks.

Regardless, I'm happy that she won, I always hated that the final round is always the deciding factor and the first 2 rounds are always ignored. Unfortunately for Diana, that was the case, she did well in the first 2 rounds but not in the final round, and left the impression that Ben was the better performer overall in the grand finale.
IMO, both did equally well.

Diana's first dish is outstanding, and if she didn't deserve a 9 in the final round, Ben didn't deserve a 9 in the first round either, he could've trail by 7-8 points in the first round. But I guess the judges wanted to maintain a small gap in order not to upset the contestants. 2nd round both did equally well, and in the 3rd round Diana was smashing left and right until she decided to redo the liquid again which costs her the time to plate up, while Ben had a meltdown from the beginning but powers through in the end, Ben did better in the 3rd round.

Ben did have errors though, apart from the crystallised center, his pear is too thick.

Also, interesting comments from Gary's instagram on Diana.
"To @diana.chan.au you deserved the win & don't let anyone tell you otherwise. The food you cooked in the semi final & grand finale was outstanding. Not every comment makes it through the edit which is a shame but we ate it no one else did...on the money & delicious. Now over to you a big bright & shiny future."

Perhaps her apple and pear is better than Ben's but Ben has better presentation and mandarin, but wasn't mentioned in the show? We never know, and that sucks.

Regardless, I'm happy that she won, I always hated that the final round is always the deciding factor and the first 2 rounds are always ignored. Unfortunately for Diana, that was the case, she did well in the first 2 rounds but not in the final round, and left the impression that Ben was the better performer overall in the grand finale.
IMO, both did equally well.

Diana's first dish is outstanding, and if she didn't deserve a 9 in the final round, Ben didn't deserve a 9 in the first round either, he could've trail by 7-8 points in the first round. But I guess the judges wanted to maintain a small gap in order not to upset the contestants. 2nd round both did equally well, and in the 3rd round Diana was smashing left and right until she decided to redo the liquid again which costs her the time to plate up, while Ben had a meltdown from the beginning but powers through in the end, Ben did better in the 3rd round.

...hi cezl... welcome to the forums... it's a shame that you didn't join when this seasons Masterchef started up... you would've had fun I'm sure of it... and a great summation of the final by you too... if you're interested 'The Bachelor' thread has started up within these forums and 'Australian Survivor' is taking off on Sunday night so if you wish to join in on the fun there it would be great to see you there... again... welcome to the forums... cheers.

Gary's comment is indeed interesting. Editing is definitely an issue in these shows - but in grand finals perhaps they need to take more care that the editing reflects the results - and hopefully the reality.

...the trouble is qtkt... it's all about the ratings only in these Reality shows... it doesn't matter what the public wants as results because it's about ratings ratings ratings!... we just happened to be lucky this time that the last 2 standing were most peoples favourites this time methinks!... just imagine if Gary and George had it their way and that Tamara and Eloise were in the grand final?... they would've had about 6 viewers I imagine!... lol!... cheers.

Hello Mr stickyfinger, thanks for the warm welcome, I was a long time lurker so I have lots of fun reading comments from everyone, you guys certainly made the show more interesting lol.
thanks, but I've decided to sign up to join the fun and I'll be sure to head to other shows thread to contribute a bit.

Yeah, I do think this year's finalist are one of the best we have, it's a good thing Diana is such a great cook and so does Ben. She reminded me of Billie from season 7 but a bit more emotional, so people will still feel that she's a deserving winner despite the controversial scoring in the final round. Just imagine if Tamara was in Diana's situation, I think the official will need to shut down its FB

Hello Mr stickyfinger, thanks for the warm welcome, I was a long time lurker so I have lots of fun reading comments from everyone, you guys certainly made the show more interesting lol.
thanks, but I've decided to sign up to join the fun and I'll be sure to head to other shows thread to contribute a bit.

Yeah, I do think this year's finalist are one of the best we have, it's a good thing Diana is such a great cook and so does Ben. She reminded me of Billie from season 7 but a bit more emotional, so people will still feel that she's a deserving winner despite the controversial scoring in the final round. Just imagine if Tamara was in Diana's situation, I think the official will need to shut down its FB

...oh okay cezl.... so you were a lurker eh?... well that's great because at least you will be aware of who we all are at least won't you?... so don't be afraid to jump in and mill around with us... we don't bite (not unless you give us permission first) :biggrin: **joke**... lol!... see you there!... cheers.

OMG George's Jimmy Grant souvalaki bar is a short walk away......crap place, I don't like the food, kid's hang out and claim there are edible things...but lately....he has stuck a great big pic of his fugly mug in the window...is that supposed to attract customers???

Anyway, if you want the best souvalaki in Melbourne....KALIMERA in Oakleigh....has rave reviews

Pork souvlaki at Melbourne restaurant blows New York Times food editor’s mind
FOR MANY a Melburnian, it’s the go-to greasy, late-night snack after the pub shuts.
594443c2841ae0271e811514f8178329

But for a food critic for one of the world’s pre-eminent cultural publications, the New York Times, the humble pork souvlaki has blown his mind.
Like, seriously.
The Times food critic Sam Sifton had the apparently life-changing experience at the aptly titled Kalimera Souvlaki Art, in the southeastern Melbourne suburb of Oakleigh, where, presumably, the fare may have been of a little higher standard than the souvas churned out by food trucks to hungry drunks.In a piece in the publication, which recently launched its Australian bureau, Mr Sifton wrote that he had, of course, sampled the staple Greek dish referred to a gyros throughout most of the world in both the lamb and beef varieties but had never previously encountered one made with pork.
In the words of Seinfeld’s great Cosmo Kramer, it was apparently, for Mr Sifton, “an orgiastic feast for the senses.”

“A few days later, I was still thinking about the meal. I had a long flight home,” he wrote.

“There wasn’t much to do. I thought about pork gyros for the better part of 14 hours. Then I dreamed about them while I slept.

“I have been cooking them ever since, in the oven and under the broiler, on the grill.”
Kalimera Souvlaki Art, he told his readers, is reliably cited as one of Melbourne’s best souvlaki restaurants.

As a food critic in one of the world’s greatest cities, he confessed to being embarrassed that he had no prior knowledge of a pork gyros before entering the Oakleigh restaurant.

”I was with a friend, who ordered our meal at the counter while I secured a table,” he wrote.
“He brought me a platter, the meat steaming. I thought at first it was chicken. I was vaguely bummed that he had not ordered lamb. I ate.

“Wait, I said, is this pork? ‘Of course it is,’ he replied. ‘That’s what they’re known for here.’

“The dish was as marvellous and strange to me as a wallaby or a kangaroo.

“Imagine not knowing about strawberry ice cream, then eating your first bite. It was a little like that. You wouldn’t tell anyone. Too embarrassing.”

The New York Times Australian bureau, based in Sydney launched early last month, the latest in a string of international publications to set up Down Under, including the UK’s The Guardian and BBC.

Oakleigh is the Greek centre of Melbourne, I have mentioned before, I love it, do my food shop there. They have a small market end of the week, fantastic & cheap. The place is full of gourmet delis, cakes, bakeries, cafes, nuts shops - and no fast food.
Funny Georgie didn't open there???

It is 3 suburbs away

Back