Skip to main content

Martin Place evacuated, hostages held at Lindt Cafe

So it just came through.

One dead hostage was a Barrister - Katrina Dawson

Another was cafe manager Tori Johnson who apparently lunged at the madman when he was dozing off which allowed some to escape.

So sad. Prayers and thoughts with their family, friends and loved ones.

This was a terror attack. Whether it is supported by the Islamic community or not, or even other extremists, this was a terror attack. Yes he was a lunatic with a gun, but he wanted an IS flag, he was making them hold up the statement of faith.

This individual lunatic was conducting his own independent terror attack.

First and foremost he was batting for the wrong team. IS hate Iranians just as much as they hate everyone and every thing else.

I always equate "terror attack" with Islamic propaganda. I would hate for this nut to somehow negatively impact the Islamic community by his sole evil actions. I work with some Islamic nurses and it is really hard to be a Muslim in this country at the moment. A woman from my work gets told to "go home" even though she was born here. She gets called a "terrorist" just because she chooses to wear a hijab and she even had her head wear pulled off by young men who were screaming "fit in or fuck off". This is a 24 year old woman who is one of the best nurses I have ever worked with. Who loves her county and her family. I bet you $5 she is waking up this morning wondering how the actions of an evil deranged nut will inadvertently impact her life simply because she prays to the same God.

I think as a sign of unity and solidarity, people should go down to the Lindt shop in droves when it reopens and show their support for those workers. Show the world we wont be defeated by fear.
Wonderful post!

If I was in Sydney it would be my first stop for coffee and chocolate. And not so I could rubber neck at the site of such sadness, but to celebrate that as a country when faced with evil, intimidation and violence we stand united.

Has there been any confirmation as to whether the innocent slain hostages were customers or Lindt workers?
Tori Johnson, store manager. Rushed the gunman and died as a result. 34 years old
the other victim was a 38 year old mother of two, died (after I think) of heart problems. Customer.

*meh*

Personally I won't buy 'moderate' Muslims facile glib assurances and claims that they're equally repulsed by these scumbags who kill in the name of 'The Religion of Peace' until I see the same level of commitment and passion they do by COMING OUT IN DROVES to protest against Israel and other blaspheming infidels (i.e Danish cartoons etc, Rushdie etc...)

They don't have to surpass that zeal, all I'm asking for is to at least match it.

864170-islamic-protest-in-sydney.jpg

muslim-protest2.jpeg

Until then I have the right to reserve judgement on the sincerity of those words and remain highly suspicious.

You get idiots in all religions.

You get people in all religions that use religion for stupid things.

George Bush said God told him to Invade Iraq.

Secondly that second picture, what is so wrong with that? Israel is a state that conducts oppression, wages war, occupation, breaches international law, inflicts a heavy toll on it's occupied population in the name of religious fundamentalism.

Protesting Israel is a sane, intelligent thing to do. They're a colonial power in the middle east, that flouts international law, occupies and oppresses people.

The sympathies of all Canadians are with the Australian victims right now. We have a lot of things in common....ex British Colonies, about the same population numbers, English mainly spoken, mostly pretty calm peaceful places to live, both use the dollar, and now both of us have had recent terrorist incidents which have shocked us into realization that even within our own borders there is no safe haven these days.

Anything that hurts you guys hurts us. We feel your pain and hope the survivors of this incident are not scarred for life and can soon get back to a somewhat normal existence...though its not likely for quite a while.

This was a terror attack. Whether it is supported by the Islamic community or not, or even other extremists, this was a terror attack. Yes he was a lunatic with a gun, but he wanted an IS flag, he was making them hold up the statement of faith.

To me anybody that's willing to kill innocent lives in the name of their religion hast to be mentally unstable in the first place. Does anybody seriously believe there's any other kind? *smh* lol

You get idiots in all religions.

You get people in all religions that use religion for stupid things.

George Bush said God told him to Invade Iraq.

Secondly that second picture, what is so wrong with that? Israel is a state that conducts oppression, wages war, occupation, breaches international law, inflicts a heavy toll on it's occupied population in the name of religious fundamentalism.

Protesting Israel is a sane, intelligent thing to do. They're a colonial power in the middle east, that flouts international law, occupies and oppresses people.

That scares me tbh because I've always being led to believe that the majority of Muslims who attend these rallies in democracies around the world are part of the so-called 'moderates'. And we're not talking about a couple of hundred here and there but thousands upon thousands of Muslims lining the streets to publicly display their support.

So is there anything positive we can do to support you guys? I'm so sorry this crazy person killed two innocent people and affected the entire country.

#illridewithyou

How about #freethehostages ??!!

Jeez Australia has it's priorities wrong.

To everyone here, read the Koran make up your own mind.
You don't have to be an extremist to know 'kill those that oppose Islam' means 'kill those that oppose Islam'

The moderates are reading from the same rule book.

What percentage is the Islamic community and what percentage is currently in jail or on watch for terrorist activities.

I am 100% behind all humans from all walks of life, however I am against this belief and against the Koran. I am allowed to not agree with a set of ideals that promote segregation and murder.

Obviously he went to Lindt on purpose because it's directly opposite Channel Seven Sydney, which would've meant media attention would've been straight away.

The café wasn't the original target.

It seems he was acting strangely & a member of the public contacted the police.

It wasn't a terror attack.

This loony wanted everyone to believe Muslims were behind it & to make people panic.

I saw people being interviewed & some of them where saying Muslims shouldn't be in Australia etc. (just shows how fucking stupid some Australians are)

What a terrifying ordeal for those that were involved, I just leave the hostages and their families in my thoughts. What a dastardly act. Though the #illridewithyou is amazing, this is the stuff that brings Australians together - these are real Aussie values. <3

I don't mind the debate and discussion here because the mainstream media is certainly only allowing a particular view on this. I'd like to know why the police who we pay to protect us didn't end it sooner in a more definitive manner. If this had occurred in Britain or the USA we would not be looking at civilian casualties, we would be looking at one dead gunman taken down swiftly by a sharpshooter. If Channel 7 had a clear visual on this guy, the police must have. You need to read the media with an open mind and ask questions, because it is the version they want to feed you and so much is suppressed.

Back