Skip to main content

Martin Place evacuated, hostages held at Lindt Cafe

Incredibly sad, but Im not sure its a bad thing for us to be aware something like this can happen, in some ways it was inevitable, I heard someone in the media last night say before this when there was warnings he thought it was "cute" that we would think we could be a target, and never took it seriously, so to be a bit more alert is not a bad thing, its just sad that this had to happen for some to realise we aren't immune from these things.
This is true. The realisation that we are not immune is scary though. Sydney is a beautiful place and I can imagine many avoiding the area now. Just as @GROOVER pointed out about a friend of his not going anymore. And it cannot be blamed. We normally take the kiddies to darling harbour's playground here and there, and now I admit I'm scared.

This is true. The realisation that we are not immune is scary though. Sydney is a beautiful place and I can imagine many avoiding the area now. Just as @GROOVER pointed out about a friend of his not going anymore. And it cannot be blamed. We normally take the kiddies to darling harbour's playground here and there, and now I admit I'm scared.

You will get over that fear. This was a one time crazy person. It is horrible and it will take time but you won't always feel the way you do right now.

Im not defending the wording which was used, I don't think it was right, but I think their intention was to say terror attacks want people to be terrified, stop, be paralysed with fear etc, so don't give them what they want, don't let them win, the delivery wasn't right though, focus on the victims, not the terrorist, his "cause" or his motives etc, thats what I took from it anyway

I don't think too many would be defending their wording @mutleyp that is not what I was saying. The simple fact that both Abbott and Hockey were cold as to the hostages in their statements yesterday was the issue, and Hadley DID comment in his usual brash way on that.

On thinking about the assailants alleged requests, I do see it as a religious/political issue in its own way. A Shiite bizarrely wanting to use Sunni and Wahhabist fueling agents to get attention. So many people, on SM and also on here, jumped to a very early conclusion that the seige was a Sunni or Wahhabist act (Al queada, Isis/Isil..et al), which it was not. It did not stop the print media fueling that clear ignorance that these denominations within the same faith, work, think and DO things differently. I reckon he wanted Sunni's or Wahhabists blamed for his shit.

I am in Melbourne and today am too shaky to let my 15 yr old go into the city on her own. However I think after the shock has warn off we will regain our confidence.

Couldn't agree more, I also would want to support Lindt cafe when things go back to "normal" but I honestly don't know if I could actually go in there knowing the horrific things that took place, I have been to some memorials OS and even now seeing that, knowing things have happened, it feels like you are intruding on a sacred place, somber and emotional, will take a long time to process these events, I can't imagine how it must feel being in the city, in a place you have probably walked past on a regular basis without a thought.

*meh*

Personally I won't buy 'moderate' Muslims facile glib assurances and claims that they're equally repulsed by these scumbags who kill in the name of 'The Religion of Peace' until I see the same level of commitment and passion they do by COMING OUT IN DROVES to protest against Israel and other blaspheming infidels (i.e Danish cartoons etc, Rushdie etc...)

They don't have to surpass that zeal, all I'm asking for is to at least match it.

864170-islamic-protest-in-sydney.jpg

muslim-protest2.jpeg

Until then I have the right to reserve judgement on the sincerity of those words and remain highly suspicious.

With due respect, I don't think this thread is the place to air your bigotry.

With due respect, I don't think this thread is the place to air your bigotry.
Actions speak louder than words and to date I've yet to witness anything from Muslims that resembles real condemnation of these murderers actions.

If having concern for my own and other non-Muslims safety makes be bigot then so be it. I certainly won't be losing any sleep over such trite leftie self loathing bleeding heart nonsense.

Actions speak louder than words and to date I've yet to witness anything from Muslims that resembles real condemnation of these murderers actions.

If having concern for my own and other non-Muslims safety makes be bigot then so be it. I certainly won't be losing any sleep over such trite leftie self loathing bleeding heart nonsense.
Are you serious?

You mustn't have your TV on because I have seen many Muslim leaders speak out condemning the situation.

Having concern for "your own" who are your own exactly?

Has there been any confirmation as to whether the innocent slain hostages were customers or Lindt workers?

I did hear earlier that one of the people who died was a man who may have tried to take the gun from the idiot when he'd dozed off. This is what is supposed to have set the police in motion.

Has there been any confirmation as to whether the innocent slain hostages were customers or Lindt workers?
Not sure.

But to demonstrate how small the world is, one of my coworkers friends sister works there.

The family closed their small business to be at the scene. As we watched it unfold, by friend really felt the burden of the family and it made us all reflect that these are real people, with families and friends. Real people just going to work or stopping for that quick coffee and delicious chocolate.

Yesterday something like this seemed unimaginable.

Not sure.

But to demonstrate how small the world is, one of my coworkers friends sister works there.

The family closed their small business to be at the scene. As we watched it unfold, by friend really felt the burden of the family and it made us all reflect that these are real people, with families and friends. Real people just going to work or stopping for that quick coffee and delicious chocolate.

Yesterday something like this seemed unimaginable.
It's really very confronting. Susannah Carr on Channel 7 summed it up when she said "we have now joined the cities where terror attacks happen".

Just praying that this doesn't encourage copycat acts.

Couldn't agree more, I also would want to support Lindt cafe when things go back to "normal" but I honestly don't know if I could actually go in there knowing the horrific things that took place, I have been to some memorials OS and even now seeing that, knowing things have happened, it feels like you are intruding on a sacred place, somber and emotional, will take a long time to process these events, I can't imagine how it must feel being in the city, in a place you have probably walked past on a regular basis without a thought.

I really like what you posted

The workers for Lindt cafe are going to have to deal with the trauma daily when they go back to work there.

I hope the individuals involved are given the support they need and with time can heal.

@Rose711 and @Butterfly_Wings, you guys are right, time will help all regain confidence :)

It's really very confronting. Susannah Carr on Channel 7 summed it up when she said "we have now joined the cities where terror attacks happen".

Just praying that this doesn't encourage copycat acts.
After hearing more about the shooter, it was more of a lunatic with a gun than a terror attack though.

We need to keep perspective and not make this about a War on Islam.

He was a nut. A bona fide hate filled nut. I am more disturbed as to how he was out walking the streets despite the fact he had proven he was wicked.

I really like what you posted

The workers for Lindt cafe are going to have to deal with the trauma daily when they go back to work there.

I hope the individuals involved are given the support they need and with time can heal.

@Rose711 and @Butterfly_Wings, you guys are right, time will help all regain confidence :)
I think as a sign of unity and solidarity, people should go down to the Lindt shop in droves when it reopens and show their support for those workers. Show the world we wont be defeated by fear.

After hearing more about the shooter, it was more of a lunatic with a gun than a terror attack though.

We need to keep perspective and not make this about a War on Islam.

He was a nut. A bona fide hate filled nut. I am more disturbed as to how he was out walking the streets despite the fact he had proven he was wicked.
This was a terror attack. Whether it is supported by the Islamic community or not, or even other extremists, this was a terror attack. Yes he was a lunatic with a gun, but he wanted an IS flag, he was making them hold up the statement of faith.

This individual lunatic was conducting his own independent terror attack.

Back