Skip to main content

Martin Place evacuated, hostages held at Lindt Cafe

I take more selfies than I care to admit, but I would never do that, there is a line, I refused to do one in front of memorials for the same reason, completely disrespectful
I know. the whole selfie thing has gone really out of hand.. :(

I was at Auschwitz a couple of years ago and I saw a few people take selfies in front of the area where people were hanged. It was driving snow that day, so I assume there would be many more on a fair weather day. I also went to the 9/11 Memorial in NYC last month on my crutches in freezing weather only to hardly be able to get near it because people were taking selfies.

My friend was in lock down at Circular Quay and had a swat team (his words) above his building as he works near the Opera House. He said it was scary but they kept as calm as they could (workers there).

I'm working in the area tomorrow. I'm not sure if I'll go in or not. I'm waiting to see what my employer advises in the morning. I feel for my colleagues today. It must have been very stressful.

Yes, hostages were released as they are ailing... ill health so they needed out for their medication. No hostages have been harmed.

One guy with a long brown apron has been released.

all media is reporting that they escaped. not one media outlet has claimed that they had been released.

I wish the cops were allowed to go in and snipe the hostage taker. might make the next wanna be think about it a lil bit better.

I also hope that the general population understands that this is the work of some unhinged individual who is using the isil line as a cover for some other issues.

99.999% muslims arent to blame, its the weird off shoot radicals that are the problems, like in most religions. the christians had their turn during the crusades!

I haven't really seen proof that this is a genuine political statement. Having a "there's only one god" flag doesn't exclude that the bloke is having a psychotic episode or committing an act of violence against his ex at her work etc

The whole thing looks like an unbalanced, temper driven act by a lone dickhead: he's got no backup, no comrades and no right to sensationalist media coverage/publicity..

If he was that political, he'd already have an ISIL flag, he wouldn't need to ask NSW police to get one for him.

cant the cops or whoever just get all interwebs blocked in the area?

i would have thought an internet lock out would be high~ish on the priority list

Could be fake... If this was circulating before say the commercial networks nightly news bulletin then I might of believed it, but these 3 demands have been public knowledge for a few hours now.
If you go on the girls actual page, her family have made comments too. She works at Westpac across the road. She looks like the girl from one of the first images holding up the flag.

This is so scary.

If you go on the girls actual page, her family have made comments too. She works at Westpac across the road. She looks like the girl from one of the first images holding up the flag.

This is so scary.
Yeah I'm pretty sure that's legit. Those are the same demands Ch 10 was reporting initially and had said that the hostage taker was using the hostages to get his demands out. Ch 9 wouldn't say what the demands were but confirmed that hostages were being made to use social media to get his requests out instead of him talking with the police directly at the time.

Also about the two other brothers makes sense as there was a guy on the Herald Sun who reported being bumped into by three guys, dressed similarly and with a "hard bag" that hit him, right before this went down. One of the guys said "do you want us to shoot you too?" and we've been wondering where the other two men went. I speculated that they might be with the other bombs and it seems they might be.

I'm pretty sure it's fake but what kind of person does that! :(
My husband looked up that profile and she's a wespac employer from the area. I thought it could have been a fake at first too but now I think it could be legit. looks like it could have been the blonde woman at the window at one stage.

Back