Skip to main content

Last movie you saw

A couple of days ago was volunteer movie day at our local cinema, my mum is a volunteer so went along..the choice was The Kings Speech which she had seen or Water with Elephants which she had no idea about so went along to see.

Her opinion, it was the worst movie she had ever seen in her entire life and she is 88 years old so has seen a lot of movies. My mum is really against performing animals and hated that the animals were made to perform for the movie. When we were kids we never got to see a circus and even on a trip to Seaworld in the 70's we skipped any performing animals shows.

I understand that the movie is about rescuing the animals and all but the sheer fact that Elephants were forced to perform for the movie my mum found abhorrent.

There are allegations, nothing has been proven - and the ones making the allegations are extremely dodgey.
This elephant has been in heaps of movies, like more than 20, so why haven't they raised this issue before, and the footage is 6 years old - if they are worried why wait 6 years.
It's all very DS style, and did make me laugh that of course he raised it - fling stuff out there whether there is proof or not and whether you have the facts entirely.

Loved the movie, the elephant looked happy, & was definitely not hurt during this movie.

The thing is that my mum is not comfortable with performing animals even if they are being well treated.

So why did she bother seeing this movie? It's quite clearly about a circus during a period where animals performed, it's one of the main themes, and the woman who wrote the book is an animal activist.

She is 88 years old, she is not up on all the latest movies, she was invited to the movies by the association she volunteers with and when she arrived there was a choice of two, as I mentioned she had already seen The Kings Speech so she ended up seeing the only other choice Water with Elephants.

Fair suck of the sav, she is allowed to not like it, it does not mean it's a bad movie it just means she didn't like it. :(

Btw, I didn't know that it was about Circus animals, I just thought it was about Elephants in the wild being captured or something.

The movie is about - a young guy studying to become a vet during the Depression, his family get wiped out and he's left in debt and destitute.
He does that Depression thing jumping on trains, the train he jumps on turns out to be a circus train, circus life is very tough.
The cinematography is gorgeous and the elephant is adorable.

Yes, I've heard the cinematography is amazing and I am pretty sure that you think the young vet is a bit of all right ;) :D

The movie is about - a young guy studying to become a vet during the Depression, his family get wiped out and he's left in debt and destitute.
He does that Depression thing jumping on trains, the train he jumps on turns out to be a circus train, circus life is very tough.
The cinematography is gorgeous and the elephant is adorable.

Doesn't he also fall in love (lust for nerds) with the Ringmaster's wife also

The movie is about ...

... adultery / cheating on the one who loves you and who you are supposed to love in return.

With a bunch of cruelty to other animals thrown into the mix.

regarDS

the footage is 6 years old - if they are worried why wait 6 years.

Yeah, like abuse that happened only 6 years ago shouldn't be persued and dealt with now. :rolleyes:

So kxk, what IS the acceptable time period between abuse happening and it being forgotten about and deemed irrelevant ?

1 year ?
2 years ?
5 years ?
10 years ?
20 years ?

Oh, that's right.

Six years, right ? :rolleyes:

regarDS

No what is unacceptable is the group complaining has had the footage for 6 years, if they are or were concerned about the elephants why WAIT 6 years?
Why didn't they do something during the Banksy movie this elephant was in that movie, also orperation dumbo, and heaps more.
It's rather odd.

tonite i watched "i love you phillip morris" and it was brilliant!

ewan mcgregor was fantastic! brilliant! stupendous!! im not a jim carey fan, but he was quite good too.

it was highly entertaining, and even more so as you watch the movie and remind yourself its based on a true story.

9.5/10

I didn't even know that Jim Carrey movie was out yet. I was sneaking peeks at it on the plane to London last year as the guy in front of me was watching it, but I couldn't commit to actually watching the movie itself (too spaced out).

The film seems to be getting a staggered release date internationally and Australia was about last on the list, but don't recall it being released in the cinemas.

It's good to see forward thinking movies like this, as opposed to "The Hangover", which thinks it's funny to open a movie with anti gay jokes and "Paging Dr F*" lines. The main actor in the film thinks it's cool this specific line was repeated in a points break at the Australian Open.

I'd just like to ask Bradley Cooper two things, right before I tip a jug of beer over him:

(1) If it was instead "paging Dr "N*" would it be in the film at all, and would people chuckle at the tennis about it? and further,
(2) A young gay or unsure teen, of which there will be many in film audiences or at the tennis, are they just supposed to well, laugh right along, or just go on feeling like shit so you can raise a chuckle?

Closet bigot or just unthinking hypocrite? Do us a favour, Bradley, keep your shirt on, and next time you want to do a gay role, don't. Let someone with half a brain or an ounce of integrity take the part.

Last edited by a moderator:
What'd you think of this south park?
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7hQN4Amaeg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7hQN4Amaeg[/ame]

I think the whole thing in the Hang Over, it's the whole, fag not referring to gay people. That's a common thing. Although yeah the origin of why it may be an insult still has it's routes.
Anyway with these things I wouldn't call someone that, don't use that type of language. But it's not for me whether to say if it's offensive to someone else or not. Like ******, it's not offensive to me, doesn't mean it's not to others. I laughed at the joke though. Don't think it makes me a bad person.

In the same way it would be wrong for me to laugh at a racial joke I guess. Doesn't make me a bad person, but doesn't make the joke good either.

So are you saying that "f*" doesn't mean gay now? In circumstances where young gay people are killing themselves over this kind of hateful language and worse, I don't think it's funny on any level.

It's even agitating to me, and I've been round the mill a few times at 41, imagine what it must be like to some kid in school.

There's no need for it, and regardless whether the intent was to be scathing to gay people, there was a certain recklessness to it by the producers. I don't think prejudice is any better just bacause it is casual prejudice and not overt, in some ways the casual stuff is more insidious, as it is giving a rubber stamp to bullying motives IMO.

And for straight people to say it's ok, I'm sorry, but it's not your ox being ridden. So it's a bit different if you're on the recieving end.

I agree, how would I know how an insult would make a gay person feel, I wouldn't.

I would never have the audacity to tell people how they should or should not feel about an insult that affects them directly because of who they choose to fancy, their religious persuasions or where they or their parents were born. :)

Last edited:
I watched Afterlife with Liam Neeson and Christina Ricci last night, that is one seriously weird movie.

Is it weird bad or weird "might be ok"..... I'm debating renting this

It's hard to follow and it's a really strange storyline, I spent most of it thinking wtf? it wasn't that great but it's one of those movies where once you start watching it you really have to know what the hell is going on so you're stuck watching it.

Back