Skip to main content

In The News

I think where it becomes nonsensical - and what a lot of people weren’t expecting - is that rather than blocking individual articles and links from being posted, they’ve gone with a hard ban that has affected far more than just a few news sites.

It’s completely wiped out many unrelated, independent and relatively niche pages. I barely use Facebook nowadays but I do follow a lot of theatre and entertainment pages as an up-to-date source of information from the industry, as it’s my line of work - I can no longer access any of these in a single feed. One would think articles about what production is about to close on Broadway, what movie a celebrity is starring in, or an interview with a local artist, isn’t exactly a risk for spreading misinformation...

Both local and international sporting clubs, weather, charities, official health and government pages have all fallen victim and blacklisted too. Even our very own Behind Big Brother is banned.

I can understand the intent but there’s a point where censorship has gone too far. This is dancing on a dangerous line. Sure, most (not all!) of the content is still available on the individual website, but in today’s day and age most brands do rely on posts and videos being uploaded to a platform like Facebook to not only drive clicks to their website but simply for any engagement at all - and thus, revenue. When entire pages, blogs and things as minor as prank videos and interviews, are suddenly deleted overnight, you just have to wonder...

It’s actually a little bit scary.
I think it speaks to the power that big tech companies like Facebook have and a sign that they need to be broken up. I also think that in the grand scheme of things companies like FB and Google have made tons of money off media companies with little in return. Having social media companies pay a fair rate for access to journalism is a fair trade off. This isn’t a censorship issue... It’s a monopoly attempting to flex its power against regulators. It’s unfortunate that we’re stuck in the middle of it.

Last edited:
I think where it becomes nonsensical - and what a lot of people weren’t expecting - is that rather than blocking individual articles and links from being posted, they’ve gone with a hard ban that has affected far more than just a few news sites.

It’s completely wiped out many unrelated, independent and relatively niche pages. I barely use Facebook nowadays but I do follow a lot of theatre and entertainment pages as an up-to-date source of information from the industry, as it’s my line of work - I can no longer access any of these in a single feed. One would think articles about what production is about to close on Broadway, what movie a celebrity is starring in, or an interview with a local artist, isn’t exactly a risk for spreading misinformation...

Both local and international sporting clubs, weather, charities, official health and government pages have all fallen victim and blacklisted too. Even our very own Behind Big Brother is banned.

I can understand the intent but there’s a point where censorship has gone too far. This is dancing on a dangerous line. Sure, most (not all!) of the content is still available on the individual website, but in today’s day and age most brands do rely on posts and videos being uploaded to a platform like Facebook to not only drive clicks to their website but simply for any engagement at all - and thus, revenue. When entire pages, blogs and things as minor as prank videos and interviews, are suddenly deleted overnight, you just have to wonder...

It’s actually a little bit scary.
Wow even behind big brother banned. That is excessive.

Weird there is no real competition to Facebook , why?
Good time to try, Facebook sucks

Hey there @Tim .......you must have IT super powers by now, have a go
Make us a new and better social network, we will follow your lead
( let me buy shares please, you would become very wealthy)

Also, as the BEEB points out, there are a few countries considering legislation directly affecting FB. That's one thing FB can't afford to get a foot-hold especially in it's country of origin.

The flip side is sites like news.com.au get traffic from facebook and derive ad revenue from it. Every Facebook link is effectively an ad for their website, so you could argue Facebook should in fact be getting a cut of their revenue.

People have been talking about the impact on sites getting over 80% of their traffic from FB. A few sites have had pretensions about being the front page of the internet, seems like FB for many people is just that.

Many years ago one of my mates was trying to get me to join the facebook community, as I was pretty much the only one out of the group that wasn't on facebook. Anyway I had a look through their profiles and various friend lists (I think back then you could see alot more private things than you can see now) and I thought why the hell would I want to lose nearly all my privacy by telling the whole internet who all my friends are? Also I noticed they were all posting on their wherabouts on a daily or hourly basis? I don't know I am of a different mindset and I value some personal privacy and I think that many things about someone's personal life shouldn't all be published on the internet. Well many years later I am glad that I never did sign up to facebook and never will.

The other problem about anything that you post on the internet is it's always stored and saved somewhere by someone. Even if you so call delete your photo's or any other private information they are never really fully deleted but saved and hidden somewhere. No need to worry though, i'm sure the world will still be fine if there is no facebook...lol ;)

I do remember when I first got connected to the internet was around the year 2000. My first social interaction on the internet I ever had was live relay chat (if that's what it's called) then I remember using a program called "ICQ" around then to connect with some people from work and friends. Shortly after that I think we used MSN messenger for a while to connect with some friends. Then as time and the years went on I slowly stopped using those old programs and ventured on to some internet forums which is now the only thing I use online to interact with others.

Many years ago one of my mates was trying to get me to join the facebook community, as I was pretty much the only one out of the group that wasn't on facebook. Anyway I had a look through their profiles and various friend lists (I think back then you could see alot more private things than you can see now) and I thought why the hell would I want to lose nearly all my privacy by telling the whole internet who all my friends are? Also I noticed they were all posting on their wherabouts on a daily or hourly basis? I don't know I am of a different mindset and I value some personal privacy and I think that many things about someone's personal life shouldn't all be published on the internet. Well many years later I am glad that I never did sign up to facebook and never will.

The other problem about anything that you post on the internet is it's always stored and saved somewhere by someone. Even if you so call delete your photo's or any other private information they are never really fully deleted but saved and hidden somewhere. No need to worry though, i'm sure the world will still be fine if there is no facebook...lol ;)

I do remember when I first got connected to the internet was around the year 2000. My first social interaction on the internet I ever had was live relay chat (if that's what it's called) then I remember using a program called "ICQ" around then to connect with some people from work and friends. Shortly after that I think we used MSN messenger for a while to connect with some friends. Then as time and the years went on I slowly stopped using those old programs and ventured on to some internet forums which is now the only thing I use online to interact with others.

I remember going on the internet in 99 and the weird sound the dial up used to make.

And yes it seems that many people were sacrificing their privacy by going on Facebook, which I never understood either.

I remember going on the internet in 99 and the weird sound the dial up used to make.

And yes it seems that many people were sacrificing their privacy by going on Facebook, which I never understood either.

Yes I also remember I registered back then with a company that was offering a free internet dial up service, they were called "Go Connect". They offered you free internet access but the only catch was you had a little window on your screen with advertisements. But I think many back then found out ways to block the ad screen or we would just hide it out of the screen...lol. I also remember 2 of my friends at that time were all using my username at the same time on that free service for a long time...lol

I also remember when "TPG Internet" back in those days used to offer a free dial up internet service which was called the "Nightrider". Which you could use for free from the hours of 1am to 7am I think...lol

Last edited:
You can use Facebook safely

I only got on it to supervise a teenager, always being his administrator with password and profile info
And, used that and MySpace and games he played to teach him how to stay safe
Totally monitored all of his online life, including email - picking up a bully and reporting same to school

And now I belong to private family group, and more
I use a fake name still, never gather “ friends” , ie unless I know you, you are no friend of mine
All private settings, never had any issues

I came here today about the murderous USA cops
If they don’t convict mr George Floyd’s murderer
Who I still curse, for making me and the world witness
cold blooded evil MURDER....
Heaven help the dismal country tearing apart

Makes me feel ill that I watched a man die
It literally makes me nauseous
How can he deny what everyone has seen?

Watching what is happening in Afghanistan right night is truly fucking devastating.
Watching people run for their lives and swarm planes just to get out of there is awful.
It really puts into perspective that despite how bad things might seem here, there is someone always worse off that us.

Its unbelievable that after 20 years and almost $100 billion spent, it took 20 days for the Taliban to succeed.

My heart breaks for those people.

Watching what is happening in Afghanistan right night is truly fucking devastating.
Watching people run for their lives and swarm planes just to get out of there is awful.
It really puts into perspective that despite how bad things might seem here, there is someone always worse off that us.

Its unbelievable that after 20 years and almost $100 billion spent, it took 20 days for the Taliban to succeed.

My heart breaks for those people.
That news footage of those people on the tarmac, climbing up on that plane was absolutely disturbing. Something like you'd see in a really awful movie, and not in real life.

What are your thoughts on this guy's backyard privacy wall? lol. I say good on him but I don't think it will stay up there that long in a really strong wind storm...lol

I also wish I could build something like that along some fences around here to block out all the new double storey dog boxes going up all around here with big windows allowing them to view straight into your backyard. So the damn council allows anyone to build these tall ugly eyesore dog boxes everywhere and destroy your privacy, but when you want to put up your own wall to block out their highrise windows you are not allowed...?

Yes that seems quite fair alright... :rolleyes:

Back