Skip to main content

In The News

As must yours too then

Honestly Tess, did you even read the garbage Ders posted, or did you just see a way of taking a cheap shot at Eliza, and went for it?

LOL Just thought it was too funny. Pot and kettle thing. yanno

lol tess

I just noticed something, the forum censors swear words lol

****inghell lol

^^^ see

Sorry that was my fault...... I mentioned the swear filter wasn't working a week or two ago in the "site help" thread. "hangs head"

[ADIT] Sorry, muddy, I forgot that you have a disability that I presume you get tax payer's assistance for. I guess that means that you'd be hoping other people's unemployed daughters would be directed by The State to bring you sexual relief rather than you have to give back to society in such a way.

regarDS

OMG that is the biggest load of codswallop i have ever read from you... No I wouldn't expect that.... And how dare you bring up Eliza and her daughter in such a topic.... I thought that was seriously below the belt

OMG that is the biggest load of codswallop i have ever read from you... No I wouldn't expect that.... And how dare you bring up Eliza and her daughter in such a topic.... I thought that was seriously below the belt

Try to ignore him Mud. Obviously christians around the world have been wrong all along, and Jesus Christ isn't our judge, because Derspatz has decided to jump into the role.

...BTW, can you imagine how much better for Oz (in terms of being wealth creating rather than a drain on society) it would be if the prison system was utterly privatised ?

regarDS

It is not only who it is that owns an industry (ie government or private individuals), that determines how that industry (and the workers within it), contribute to the wealth of a country. Ensuring a profit from some types of industry can distract from its real purpose.

The US has more people in privatized prisons than any other country and they also have a vastly higher proportion of their population in gaol than any other - almost 7 times that of Australia. These prisons are still paid for from the public purse - yet they enable a group of owners to cream off profits of their own and hence cause them to have a vested interest in keeping prisoners incarcerated and adding to the numbers. Any apparent cost savings per prisoner are illusory. They have used their profits to help fund the promotion of imprisonment. This costs everyone money paying for the gaols while increasing the kind of social disruption than also costs everyone quality of life and money. While the privatized prisons may not be the original reason for the shocking incarceration rate and its social impact, they have contributed to it and are a hindrance to its improvement.

The US economic path looks pretty unappealing in this area as in many others.

The US economic path looks pretty unappealing in this area as in many others.

Very much agree with your conclusions. Add to what you mentioned, the recent case of a US judge, which was nothing less than the embodiment of evil, sending adolescents into detention with harsh and unusual sentences while secretly receiving cash incentives from the owners of these private prisons because the more bodies the prison had enslaved, the greater the booty. Justice needs to be impartial, like that famous lady who wears a blindfold to indicate the only matter that concerns her is the weighing up of things impartially, and only then, after that impartial weighing up, should the sword in her other hand be used.

Mr. Sparrow, for one such as yourself who considers an ever watchful eye, recording all our actions which we are accountable to, it is more than a little surprising to me that you should think that usurping that process with our own haphazard justice system is so important that it needs to be made harsher and more prone to influences such as financial incentives to corrupt it even further. For those who want every wrong of this world corrected by the state, they are indeed inviting the speedy introduction of a totalitarian state, which will no doubt pick out what is right and wrong very selectively, based on what suits itself. To that end, I thought you were opposed in principle, except as a precursor for the kingdom of heaven being made manifest here on Earth. To those who believe in ideals of justice and mercy, that such ideas do in fact, in reality, have their ideal forms, turning the other cheek to all the wrongs we suffer is not only easier but also a great deal healthier.

Privatisation of prisons is becoming an epidemic in many developed nations... Canada, Australia

They've been talking about privatising prisons in SA since I started working in the correctional area in the early 90's, is yet to happen here.

Privatisation of prisions is happening in ALL states of Australia

Private Prisons in Australia: Our 20 year trial

http://rightnow.org.au/topics/asylum-seekers/private-prisons-in-australia-our-20-year-trial/

^^^ NB: above article is talking about private prisons in Australia (contracts) Qld, VIC, NSW, SA WA (for Australian Citizens & Detention Centres)

Private prison industry spreads its tentacles
http://www.greenleft.org.au/node/47705

An older report:

Privatisation of Prisons (2004)

Information on ALL private prisons in Australia (including SA)

www.parliament.nsw.gov.au/prod/parlment/...nsf/0/.../bg03-04.pdf

Take a chill pill Kat, I just said it's been talked about for years in SA what's the big deal calm down. In SA Mt Gambier Prison is managed by GS4 a private company but is owned by the state. The rest of our prisons are managed and owned by the state. I wasn't disageeing with you I have no idea what is happening in other states, I was only commenting on SA which I am in the loop on.

[youtubevid]ODeIva2q6gg[/youtubevid]

A totalitarian's/greenazi's/Bob Brown's wet dream ... have everyone barcoded and should they dare to increase their CO2 footprint by having more than one child, then bung 'em in the gulag for re-education.

As for government / tax payers money going to private prisons, well I agree that would be counter productive and open to just as much corruption and waste as a government managed system.

A better idea would be for prisons to bid/compete with each other for new inmates and never receive any public money (in fact, tax the prisons as a company and prisoners as employees of the prison) but rather, their income / profit is derived from how their individual prison populations are put to work, whether it be by manufactoring or services. As for the imprisoned law breakers, as is already done (but no doubt could be improved upon) privilages and/or sentence reductions could directly relate to their attitute and efforts re: contributing towards the financial success of their particular fortress, uh, prison.

IE, a system not all that different to the prison planet wage slave system so many of us already belong to. :)

regarDS

Last edited:
Fortress was a good movie. Unfortunately I could never find the longer version on dvd... Where the truck chases them at the end... Mine always ends with that scene cut off, and it's edited different.

Eliza

All I did was share information

Your reaction to information is on you not me, So maybe this so called chill pill should be taken by you

this is on you... not me, I'm purrfectly calm

haha DS,

I was thinking about the current status quo and where its heading while reading your post and then read your last sentence (irony) lol

Yes irony can be wonderfully distracting :)

Cheers

Eliza

All I did was share information

Your reaction to information is on you not me, So maybe this so called chill pill should be taken by you

this is on you... not me, I'm purrfectly calm

Soz, I mistook the capitalization of ALL as you shouting at me :D just saying. Anyway as previously mentioned full privatization of all prisons in SA was on the agenda back in the early 90's and hasn't happened. There were big plans 4 or 5 years ago for an expansion of the Mobilong Prison which included a Forensic Unit (similar to where I work) However, the combination of the GFC and massive costs associated with the complete rebuild of the main Royal Adelaide Hospital and Glenside (Psychiatric) Hospitals, resulted in the money running out and the several million dollars already spent on planning going down the gurgler.

Last edited:
Soz, I mistook the capitalization of ALL as you shouting at me just saying. Anyway as previously mentioned full privatization of all prisons in SA was on the agenda back in the early 90's and hasn't happened. There were big plans 4 or 5 years ago for an expansion of the Mobilong Prison which included a Forensic Unit (similar to where I work) However, the combination of the GFC and massive costs associated with the complete rebuild of the main Royal Adelaide Hospital and Glenside (Psychiatric) Hospitals, resulted in the money running out and the several million dollars already spent on planning going down the gurgler.

It was emphasis

you saw that as shouting lol

again, this just demonstrates how you take information and your reaction to information lol

though at other regular 'textualised' discussion/s/topic/s etc 'online' (socio-politio-philosophical, scientific etc) that one capitalised word would be taken as a (one) form of emphasis

The start point of the 'privatisation topic' - It IS happening

Whether its at/in; one area orone state/or in all states, one sector/or a number of sections, one industry/or a number of industries, or if its a combo of private/public set up, or even one private contract in one state with what was/is a public sector etc etc ... It IS happening

as the above provided links showed

LOL I guess you're right, it is happening in some places, not that I ever said it wasn't. And yes you are absolutely correct my posts do demonstrate my reaction to information, I would have thought that was pretty normal.:confused: lol

Back