Skip to main content

In The News

To me, there are several different causes for this kind of accident, going on past observations.

1. Drug impairment - mostly alcohol, I would conjecture

2. Inability to react quickly/decisively/appropriately (excluding point 1 above) - whether experience, familiarity (with the vehicle) or cognitively impaired to some extent

3. Distraction - any source, phone, radio, other occupants, external or even a lack of care (sheer negligence).

People need to understand that their vehicle can easily kill and an appropriate alertness, ability, and responsibility comes with the privilege of driving - NO it's not a right, you're licensed to drive.

Makes news stories like this make my blood run cold: :rage:

Perth truck-driving school busted for handing licenses to unqualified drivers

http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/p...s-to-unqualified-drivers-20171102-gzdivv.html

EDIT:
Oh, and swerving to avoid people and buildings is only appropriate if you've been concentrating enough to know where it's save to swerve to. Sometimes swerving is NOT appropriate if it's between hitting a car and a bus-stop full of people. In that instance, hitting the other car is probably the better option, IMHO

And, swerving to miss a kangaroo and 110Km/h can kill you - better to hit the roo - you'll most likely survive.

There was a case locally of a driver whose windscreen was hit by a golf ball. They swerved and rolled the vehicle and subsequently received fatal injuries.

Precisely why drivers MUST be made to do more before they get a license
LEARN - how to react to different accident scenarios, especially focusing on safety of pedestrians and occupied buildings.

And I would add another category to your causes,
4 The most COMMON REASON, bad driver non skills, stupidity, usually speeding, fail to take a bend or other road diversion, and slam
BREAKING ROAD RULES - that woman had no business being where she was, and clearly has border line driving non skills

31cfe52aeeffb192bc5a23af4a335c4b

This brave woman, girl, little girl....................he hurt her forever, even when she was just little

For your perusal:

Car crashes into Joondalup Health Campus hospital, several injured

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-11-23/car-crashes-into-joondalup-hospital-discharge-lounge/9185510

"A car has ploughed 20 metres through the entrance of the Joondalup Health Campus in Perth's north, leaving five people injured, three seriously.
The incident was reported to police at 12:10pm.
A woman believed to be aged in her 80s drove into the front of the building about 12:05pm, according to police."

Reactions: kxk
For your perusal:

Car crashes into Joondalup Health Campus hospital, several injured

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-11-23/car-crashes-into-joondalup-hospital-discharge-lounge/9185510

"A car has ploughed 20 metres through the entrance of the Joondalup Health Campus in Perth's north, leaving five people injured, three seriously.
The incident was reported to police at 12:10pm.
A woman believed to be aged in her 80s drove into the front of the building about 12:05pm, according to police."

Well at least they were in the right place if they got hurt... :)

Mental health services, support, help................have for too long been not just under funded, there is no funding mostly.
Mental health workers despair......they tell us their patients/clients self medicate with illicit drugs in desperation because they can't get help anywhere.

So.....we MUST throw mega bucks at mental health, or they end up crashing cars into innocent defenseless victims.

WHY is this not THE issue?

And, make all cities car less, would be easy to make Melbourne CBD for PT and pedestrians.....and driverless electric cabs, that is it,
All other vehicles banned, deliveries etc can be made at set hours like 4am or whatever.

Rotten Kennet chucked all the unwell mentally out into ....homelessness, basically seedy boarding houses and public housing if they are lucky. Cheap bastard threw these people out into the streets with no funded support, no wonder it's a mess.

And more mental health help needed, people are desperate for help

Pictured: The moment horrified passengers cower in fear behind their seats as their train is pummelled with rocks during a shocking random attack in Melbourne

47892B5400000578-0-image-a-3_1514017269871.jpg

Passengers on a north Melbourne train were forced to hide on Friday night (right), after a man began throwing rocks at the train. A 20-year-old man reportedly jumped onto the railway tracks and threw the rocks, smashing glass (left) and causing passengers to believe they were under attack. Police later arrested the man at the scene under the Mental Health Act, after he told officers he wanted to self-harm.

From an aunt of one of the Florida school shooting victims:

Dear America,

We buried my brother, Dr. Michael Guttenberg, this past October. He was a 9/11 hero and 16 years later he died of a 9/11 related cancer. Our country came together after the 9/11 terrorist attacks to overcome evil. We fought two wars, we subjected ourselves to onerous changes in air travel security, and we willingly gave up civil liberties to give ourselves the illusion of safety.

But we are not safe. This weekend we will bury my niece. Her name is Jaime Guttenberg and she was the 14 year-old daughter of my brother Fred and sister-in-law Jen. She was Jesse’s younger sister. Yesterday, she was murdered by a gun at her high school in Parkland Florida.

Jaime was in the 9th grade. She was a pretty girl with the world’s best smile and her soul was sensitive and compassionate. She was intelligent and feisty and she danced with beauty and grace. She always looked out for the underdog and the bullied and she probably had been kind to the student who shot her. She planned to grow up and become a mommy and an occupational therapist.

Fred and Jen are the world’s most loving and over-protective parents but they could not protect Jaime from the sickness that has gripped our country. Unless we change, nobody can protect us. My friends and fellow citizens, your guns are not protecting you. Your guns are killing our kids.

Why is your hunting hobby more important than my niece’s life? Don’t you see that your “second amendment” rights have been twisted and distorted beyond any rational interpretation? Why should my niece have been sacrificed at the altar of your “freedoms?”

Why don’t you trust our police to protect us from crime? Don’t you realise that mental illness has been and always will be a part of the human condition and that weapons of war should not be available to those among us who dream of mayhem and death? Don’t you see the blood on all of our hands?

I don’t care that Nikolas Cruz did this. If it had not been him, it would have been some other sad sick young man. I do care that he was able to legally purchase an assault weapon. I do care that the NRA and our so-called political leaders enabled him.

I don’t care if Nikolas spends the rest of his life in jail or gets the death penalty. That will not bring back Jaime and it won’t stop your kids from being the next victims of a “versatile, customizable” deadly weapon of war. I do care that the National Rifle Association (NRA) is dismantled. I do care that our Congress and our President (need to) outlaw these technologically sophisticated tools of murder just like every other civilised country on this planet. Failure to act will make our politicians complicit in Jaime’s murder. I want them to face charges and I want them brought to justice.

My family does not want your hopes and prayers. We want your action. Join us in fighting the NRA. Join us in deposing any politician who cares more about campaign contributions than my beautiful Jaime. Join us in supporting leaders who will bravely fight for our children’s lives.

Don’t tell me not to politicise this. Jaime would want me to. This is political and now this is personal. If not now, when? If not us, who? If we don’t finally ACT, the sickness of gun violence will kill us all.

Sincerely yours,

Abbie Youkilis MD

http://www.news.com.au/world/north-...r/news-story/95497fc01141be489ce1dbe80ef6aab8

And now, disgusting right wing gun lovers are trying to paint the teenagers in agony speaking out..... as fake actors

And stinking Trump's answer is to expect poor teachers to be armed commandos.

Trump send Baron, and all those grand kids to a public school with no secret service.

Beetroot Barney is GONE
Resigns

And I hate to imagine some past teachers with lethal weapons, they were rough enough without giving them triggers

I think some nuns I had teach me in primary school would be in prison if they had guns, they were rather sadistic....especially to boys
More guns, not the answer, could even get duelling nutso teachers I reckon.........

They had an armed officer there...
ARMED OFFICER DID “NOTHING” IN PARKLAND SHOOTING
Armed Officer Assigned To Stoneman Douglas Resigns Amid Shooting Investigation

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla., Feb 22 (Reuters) - The armed deputy assigned to the campus of a Florida high school during a deadly shooting last week stayed outside the building during the attack and failed to engage the shooter, the county sheriff said on Thursday.

As a consequence, Scott Peterson, on duty as the school resource officer at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, resigned from the department, said Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel, who earlier has suspended the officer from the force. He did not say if Peterson would face criminal charges.

Israel said he decided to suspend Peterson after viewing a video that showed the deputy did “nothing” during the rampage that killed 17 people. A former student Nikolas Cruz, 19, is accused of carrying out the attack with an AR-15-style assault weapon.

“What I saw was a deputy arrive at the west side of Building 12, take up a position and he never went in,” said Israel. The building is popularly known as “the freshman building.”

Israel said he would not release the video that shows Peterson’s actions at this time and may never do so, “depending on the prosecution and criminal case.”

(Reporting by Bernie Woodall in Fort Lauderdale; Editing by Tom Brown)

Apparently the guy hid behind a pole outside

And.....good riddance beetroot barney, never have to see that face again

So did I, that's what I was just about to post. It took me a good few seconds to realise that a magical lamington vending machine isn't actually a thing.

Reactions: kxk
Back