Skip to main content

Episode I'm A Celebrity! AU (2018) - Episode Discussion

Dr Chris was great in expressing his support of Tomic. I wish Julia hadn't felt compelled to play devil's advocate in the name of getting a few cheap shots in, especially with Tomic standing right there. You're better than that, Julia. She was hilarious on that new Hughesy show, but let herself down on Celeb.

I wasn’t particularly sympathetic to Bernard Tomic but then woke to this Facebook post by a colleague. It is perhaps a little “preachy” but we are priests, lol, and I think my mate Graham makes an interesting point.
We are committed to the public health message that it OK for a young man to stand up publically and say he cannot deal with the depression that has overwhelmed him. The Black Dog Institute and other not-for-profit organisations such BeyondBlue have brought this epidemic of depression in men to the surface of our attention. It is a wonderful public health exercise. Why sabotage this good work by openly and publically ridiculing a man of twenty five who does stand up and say it is beyond him?
Bernard Tomic may not be everyone’s favourite celebrity but it is we who have a need to create celebrities and derive vicarious pleasure at their rise and then equal pleasure at their demise.
It is good public health to lay off him. It is also the hard edge of what we preach – compassion and mercy.

I wasn’t particularly sympathetic to Bernard Tomic but then woke to this Facebook post by a colleague. It is perhaps a little “preachy” but we are priests, lol, and I think my mate Graham makes an interesting point.
That. Yes. The tall poppy thing in full swing. I have never been a fan of his nor of tennis, but it's glaringly obvious that he needs guidance, help and compassion. I for one am sorry he chose to leave but support his acknowledgement that things aren't well within and he needs to do what's necessary to feel comfortable.

I really feel sorry for Tomic. He has realised that he has made a terrible mistake of going on the show and wants to get back to Tennis and play to his full potential. I feel sorry for him that he is going to get all this blacklash for quitting the show. Forget about them Tomic just go out there and do what YOU want to do. He has made a mistake by committing to the show but at the end of the day he is only human and should be able to leave freely if he doesn't want to be there as should any of the camp mates there. When all is said and done it is only a TV show.

...as I said before... I was one of the few that knew nothing at all about Tomic and his 'spoilt brat' reputation with not being a Tennis fan at all so I guess that I've seen him from a different perspective than some... I just saw a guarded young bloke that probably had some issues but never really took anymore notice than that... as he progressed in the show with the first task he ended up getting struck by a Snake about 6 times... he still persisted in trying to continue the task... he did a valiant effort as far as I'm concerned...

...the second task was just as daunting for not just him... but for anybody...it was set up for failure... at this point I felt that they were targetting Tomic and were trying to 'crack him'... he gave it his best yet again... he did the best that he could... again... he tried not to fail the task... the next thing we have Julia and Chris making 'jokes' about him failing yet again... it was obvious that Channel 10 intended for Tomic to go off his head and perhaps do a massive dummy spit... again... he didn't...

...on each occasion Tomic tried valiantly to complete the tasks... he tried his best... he failed... he is human just like the rest of us... when he looked deep within himself and realised that it was best that he leave I believe that he did the best thing for himself... it's probably the first time in his life that he has had that opportunity to do so without his entourage of family/managers and general 'hangers on' always telling him what to do outside of the jungle...

...what he did was probably the bravest decision that he has ever made for himself... he knows that the 'keyboard warriors' on Social Media' will crucify him... he's well aware of the 'tall poppy' syndrome but he knew his limitations and made the best decision for himself regardless... I thought that it was pretty sad the way that the Producers and probably his manager or whoever were showing so much worry and compassion and concern for him while the cameras were rolling during his exit... if they really were concerned about his welfare they would never had allowed him into the camp in the first place as far as I'm concerned... he was obviously at his lowest ebb of his entire life at this time and shame on all concerned that allowed him to go in regardless...

...well I say good luck to Bernard and really do hope that he gets his life on track again... he's only 25 for God's sake... he has so much life in him to go... he deserves to live his life the way that HE wants to... I hope that he achieves it... cheers.

I wonder how rigged it will be when/if Danny Green goes in. He'll probably be immune from being voted out immediately, but expect them to rig it so Mundine isn't up either. A special power because he's camp leader?

I wonder how rigged it will be when/if Danny Green goes in. He'll probably be immune from being voted out immediately, but expect them to rig it so Mundine isn't up either. A special power because he's camp leader?

...now that Bernard has gone all that Alex Mavroidakis has left now for any sort of 'drama clashes' are those two... they'll both be 'protected species' now for sure... Bernard was the big drawcard for Alex for any 'meltdowns' and 'tantrums'... Alex admits that he tried everything that he could to keep Bernard in the camp in an article that Pecan posted in the other Celeb post within these forums... so yes... they will both be saved now for sure...(knowing Alex he will systematically 'dispose' of our favourites now in order to keep them in for sure)... bastard!... cheers.

just popping in because after last night's show I was curious how everyone would react

I dislike Tomic - BUT as I'd disliked Fevola before he went on the show I was open to having my mind changed
<not sure how I'm going to go with Mundine o_O or Green ...

but ~ he doesn't have the nickname Tomic the Tank Engine for nothing! as JM said "3000 minutes" in the Jungle ... gave it a red hot go didn't he!!

Why do I dislike him?
because he whinges and moans about not getting enough support for himself AND for his family AND his hangers-on and expects handouts from Tennis Australia <whilst still sticking the boot in and making accusations of corruption> and then the next minute is gloating about counting his millions when being asked about yet another early defeat or withdrawal

because he CLAIMS our Davis Cup team will only ever win if he is on the team ... yet has made himself unavailable to play

because he's an embarrassment - I don't particularly want him playing to represent Australia (and therefore ME) - because somewhere out there are other great tennis players in the making who do not carry on like he has - over and over again. How many chances should he be given?

for me - he's done his dash - and this BS in the jungle has nailed it for me.

Stand him up beside Roger Federer - a TRUE tennis champion, all round decent person, good sport, hard worker, gorgeous human being, loving partner and father. NO comparison!! NONE!!

People are going on social media saying he's suffering from depression - to me what he's suffering from is an over-inflated sense of importance at too young an age. He is lack-lustre in his approach to his sport, his fitness, his fans - but he just loves telling us about counting his millions as a defensive shot. I don't think they should label his issue as depression - there are people really suffering debillitating symptoms of depression who do not deserve to be lumped in together with this disaster! I think he needs to talk to someone definitely - because he's in a tailspin and the result isn't going to be pretty.

Julia asked a very valid question last night - what about the charity he was supposedly playing for? and he couldn't / wouldn't answer that question. He avoided it and just keep spewing nonsense about tennis - this sport he doesn't love. He likes it but he doesn't love it ... Pity he's supposedly talented at it ...
There have been a few other 'celebs' / sportspeople tweeting today asking the same question and suggesting he donate a small portion of those millions to his charity - I wonder if he eventually will ...

But then let's just consider those tournament results that he's so proud of - shall we?

He's won and been runner up in the Apia International in Sydney in 2013 & 2014
He's won the Claro Open, Bogota Colombia in 2014 and 2015
He was runner up in the Abierto Mexicano Telcel, Acapulco, Mexico in 2016

that's it apparently ...

they're not Grand Slam tournaments ... they are ATP250 and ATP500 tournaments - ATP 250 is the fifth-highest tier of men's tennis tournament after the four Grand Slam tournaments, ATP Finals, ATP World Tour Masters 1000, and ATP World Tour 500.
They are tournaments that men plan the best of 3 sets (personally I don't think he could last the 5 sets required for the Grand Slam - DO YOU?)

He talks the talk - but hasn't really delivered the goods in recent years and I don't personally believe he HAS the goods - and I don't think he ever will

and what he fails to recognise is that there are always newcomers on the tennis scene - Alex Di Minaur (aged 18) for one! And I have a feeling we'll see Alex playing for Australia in the Davis Cup team sooner than we'll see Tomic.

Was JM harsh with her question? Was she out of line? I didn't find it exceptionally so - she probably wanted to give him a good kick up the bum!! I know I did!

btw Matty J and Laura are NOT going to the jungle (according to Laura's instagram story today) I didn't think they would be going in as Celebs - but did wonder if they might be there for a task ... but no apparently not ...

...now that Bernard has gone all that Alex Mavroidakis has left now for any sort of 'drama clashes' are those two... they'll both be 'protected species' now for sure... Bernard was the big drawcard for Alex for any 'meltdowns' and 'tantrums'... Alex admits that he tried everything that he could to keep Bernard in the camp in an article that Pecan posted in the other Celeb post within these forums... so yes... they will both be saved now for sure...(knowing Alex he will systematically 'dispose' of our favourites now in order to keep them in for sure)... bastard!... cheers.

Alex is the guy who "Killed the goose that was laying the golden eggs" :(

Alex is the guy who "Killed the goose that was laying the golden eggs" :(

...Alex is a legend in his own mind... he should never be allowed to produce a show... he wasn't content in destroying our beloved Big Brother... he wants to kill Celeb too... he's going to achieve his goal no matter what we try to do... enjoy this show while you can Medusa... cheers.

...I wonder if Julia and Chris will try to explain themselves about how they reacted to Tomic leaving after the furore on Social Media today?... I think most likely not... cheers.

Hey @crimmy ........quoting you
He's won and been runner up in the Apia International in Sydney in 2013 & 2014
He's won the Claro Open, Bogota Colombia in 2014 and 2015
He was runner up in the Abierto Mexicano Telcel, Acapulco, Mexico in 2016

Do you think it is possible Tomic's main problem is he is not that good, never has been that good, and never will be that good?
And having hotshot Nick and the 18 year old shining he is just a bit player now, where he was once our great hope?

Have often wondered how forever 2nd/3rd place cope, as when you have legends beating you, and no hope of ever beating them

Back