Skip to main content

I don't understand how anyone can dislike Priya?

I am not saying it never happens, of course it happens. But what I am saying is we must be able to criticise people for their actions, regardless of their gender, if we truly want equality.

Unfortunately that is not what happens though, is it?

Men are typically given much more latitude for 'larrikin' behaviour (code for being a dick) while strong women almost always face extra criticism. In society women are held to far harsher expectations than men. This is also true in the big brother house, where the boys, including Ryan but also Tom, David and Travis, have consistently offered criticism of, say, Priya, but also Skye and Lina, and have then bridled when confronted by the girls, and what usually happens is the woman is accused of being too serious or bitchy, too gossipy or just shit-stirring.

Of course, the lads I mention above have all done the same this season but ironically it's accepted as banter or the blokes just standing up for themselves. God forbid a woman should think of doing likewise.

Unfortunately that is not what happens though, is it?

Men are typically given much more latitude for 'larrikin' behaviour (code for being a dick) while strong women almost always face extra criticism. In society women are held to far harsher expectations than men. This is also true in the big brother house, where the boys, including Ryan but also Tom, David and Travis, have consistently offered criticism of, say, Priya, but also Skye and Lina, and have then bridled when confronted by the girls, and what usually happens is the woman is accused of being too serious or bitchy, too gossipy or just shit-stirring.

Of course, the lads I mention above have all done the same this season but ironically it's accepted as banter or the blokes just standing up for themselves. God forbid a woman should think of doing likewise.

No.

The difference is, thats all Priya and Lina etc would do in the house, they would constantly gossip, to the point that they were not even having fun.

Of course everyone talks crap about other people, but when that's all you do, it can get boring for others.

Eh? And I suppose you calling me a social justice warrior was some sort of compliment?

Save your hypocritical faux-indignation for someone who gives a shit.

of course its a compliment, who wouldn't want to be a heroic warrior of social justice. You are pretty much superman.

Back