Skip to main content

Housemate Stereotypes and will the trend continue?

I understand what you are saying but I disagree. As long as the villain is entertaining and not an "asshole" than I am sure a villain would do quite well, particularly in a vote to save.

I agree. Paul dyer comes to mind. I'm not saying that they will win bb, but i think they will go well the vote to save system.

Another stereotype that seems to be in every Big brother show around the world these days is they all "must have " a token gay or 2 or 3. I don't think that it is necessary at all. I don't expect it to change any time soon.

I don't mind some stereotypes. Whether the token gay guy is chosen for that reason or because they were chosen because they just were doesn't fuss me. If it's a stereotype, let them continue it. I don't like the stereotype of trying to form a couple in the house. It's too forced IMO.

Another stereotype that seems to be in every Big brother show around the world these days is they all "must have " a token gay or 2 or 3. I don't think that it is necessary at all. I don't expect it to change any time soon.
I don't think the 2 Ben's in the Channel 9 version of BBAU have been selected as token gay housemates. I think they have been selected because of their personalities and let's face it, they were both key characters in their seasons. They are 2 of the few housemates on Channel 9 not selected for their looks. I do however think that the fact that Ben2013 fits the nerd/geek stereotype would have helped him.

I don't think the 2 Ben's in the Channel 9 version of BBAU have been selected as token gay housemates. I think they have been selected because of their personalities and let's face it, they were both key characters in their seasons. They are 2 of the few housemates on Channel 9 not selected for their looks. I do however think that the fact that Ben2013 fits the nerd/geek stereotype would have helped him.

Yep and that's what I mean. Cast interesting characters in whatever stereotypes you like. Emphasis on the interesting character part, not the stereotypes.

I personally would like to see more "normal" gay male HMs. Ones that act like an average guy you could come across on the street, not flashy dramatic TV characters, and specifically ones that don't make a big deal out of their sexuality, i.e. Ben '12 on the first day snapping at Michael for "pigeon-holing him for being gay". Putting really exaggerated characters like Ben '12 or Ben '13 (or Marco from BBUK5 for example) on TV just enforces negatives stereotypes about the LGBT community.

OK it's off topic but they still haven't had a gay couple on The Block since it returned with Scott Cam as host (except for cameo appearance by Waz & Gav). Some would say that's no coincidence. I wish they would, if only to prove such suspicions wrong. But I know they won't.

I don't think BBAU casts deliberately for stereotypes, but as they need to represent a cross section of gender and types, they will invariably end up with a gay guy and/or a lesbian, an overweight person, a skinny person, an Asian etc amongst the group, which then appears to be either tokenism or stereotype casting. What can you do?

A BB villain would develop a cult following, as well as getting a lot of haters.

I think they would survive on their cult following under the vote to save system, as long as their 5 or 6 people up for eviction each week. If there are only 3 people up, then all the haters would vote to save the other 2, just to push the villain out.

It's like how Tully kept surviving on a small fanbase when there were six people up each week. Then when she was up with only two people, a lot of people voted for Tahan and Katey/Lucy, just to ensure Tully went, and it worked.

Or like how when it was Boog, Tahan and Mikkayla, a lot of people voted for Boog to get Mikkayla out.

This doesn't happen when there are six people up, because the voters can't carry five housemates over the line.

A BB villain would develop a cult following, as well as getting a lot of haters.

I think they would survive on their cult following under the vote to save system, as long as their 5 or 6 people up for eviction each week. If there are only 3 people up, then all the haters would vote to save the other 2, just to push the villain out.

It's like how Tully kept surviving on a small fanbase when there were six people up each week. Then when she was up with only two people, a lot of people voted for Tahan and Katey/Lucy, just to ensure Tully went, and it worked.

Or like how when it was Boog, Tahan and Mikkayla, a lot of people voted for Boog to get Mikkayla out.

This doesn't happen when there are six people up, because the voters can't carry five housemates over the line.
An entertaining villain could have a lot of fans though and could still survive a 3 person eviction.

OK it's off topic but they still haven't had a gay couple on The Block since it returned with Scott Cam as host (except for cameo appearance by Waz & Gav). Some would say that's no coincidence. I wish they would, if only to prove such suspicions wrong. But I know they won't.

and your suspicions are...?
youve got me all curious...

What BB needs is fresh blood in the staff doing the show alex has become predictable in his running
of the show
Its so obvious at the start of each season who they have chosen as the winner IE ben 2012 and tim 2013
also they need to stop copying BB uk in the tasks and format
a rehash of old ideas soon becomes boring to watch
A new host as well would help sonia is so fridgid when hosting the evictions
Alex is killing BB fast with his format :p

Its so obvious at the start of each season who they have chosen as the winner IE ben 2012 and tim 2013

Never thought Ben was there favorite at all...Pretty clear in 2012 it was Michael and Bradley from the start.

I remember Tim Brunero from 2005 talking about how he knew that in order to get into Big Brother he had to pigeon hole himself as the liberal journalist and talk up his politics while ignoring other aspects of himself because you only have so long to sell yourself. Producers would then know that if they put a more conservative right wing person in the house the clash could prove to be good television. Its something they have to do.

You're one of the true fans of Big Brother still very much after what the original concept of the show was all about. Unfortunately the editors/producers of the Aussie version now usually manipulate the portrayal of certain housemates to milk as much sympathy/negative reaction (i.e. Tully and Jade) and consequently money from their so-called fanbois/gals via voting.

If I were one of producers of the show I'd give little to almost no air time to the likes of Jade who spend their day moping around agonising why such and such guy doesn't feel about them the same way etc, etc.. As far as I'm concerned that is worthless footage that adds little value to the original concept of the show and in turn rendering said housemate worthless as well.

It is maddening that the producers can't think beyond the voting money of a bunch gullible dolts. Is Nine that desperate for cash that they need to resort to these sort of tactics, inflicting dullard housemates on all their viewers just because they happen to have huge daft fanbases too? I wish we could separate the housemates where those who prefer Jade's ilk have their own house/show and another house that consists of entertaining housemates such Boogs, Drew and Tahan for the rest of us true BB fans. :cool:
I am certainly not daft, and I was a Jade fan last year, different people find different qualities in different people, there were a lot of people who saw qualities in Jade that they liked, just because you didn't like her (obviously) that doesn't mean everyone should agree with you, that's where Big Brother is good, you don't know who the people watching are going to like, their tastes change all the time, I don't think bad mouthing people and calling them daft just because their opinion is different to yours is right, maybe take a good long look at yourself before you call others daft

You're one of the true fans of Big Brother still very much after what the original concept of the show was all about. Unfortunately the editors/producers of the Aussie version now usually manipulate the portrayal of certain housemates to milk as much sympathy/negative reaction (i.e. Tully and Jade) and consequently money from their so-called fanbois/gals via voting.

If I were one of producers of the show I'd give little to almost no air time to the likes of Jade who spend their day moping around agonising why such and such guy doesn't feel about them the same way etc, etc.. As far as I'm concerned that is worthless footage that adds little value to the original concept of the show and in turn rendering said housemate worthless as well.

It is maddening that the producers can't think beyond the voting money of a bunch gullible dolts. Is Nine that desperate for cash that they need to resort to these sort of tactics, inflicting dullard housemates on all their viewers just because they happen to have huge daft fanbases too? I wish we could separate the housemates where those who prefer Jade's ilk have their own house/show and another house that consists of entertaining housemates such Boogs, Drew and Tahan for the rest of us true BB fans. :cool:

Could not agree with this more!! Im sick of housemates who play no part in the overall dynamic of the house. Its just such a waste of a housemate! The whole Jade thing was appalling last year and is the main reason as to why i found 2012s season better.

...what about two people from this website going in?... say... TraLa and Derspatz... now THAT would be interesting to watch!...:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao: TraLa?... Derspatz?... how about applying?... lol!... geez that would be interesting... omfg!... I just had a mental blowout!!!!!... what if... nah!!!!.... what if naaaaaaaaah!!!!!... they... became... 'romantically involved'????????????:wideyed::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:... um... I better shut up now methinks... (teehee)... cheers.

...what about two people from this website going in?... say... TraLa and Derspatz... now THAT would be interesting to watch!...:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao: TraLa?... Derspatz?... how about applying?... lol!... geez that would be interesting... omfg!... I just had a mental blowout!!!!!... what if... nah!!!!.... what if naaaaaaaaah!!!!!... they... became... 'romantically involved'????????????:wideyed::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:... um... I better shut up now methinks... (teehee)... cheers.

Lol! @TraLa and @derspatz
.... And add to that @Mr Stickyfingers and the ratings would go through the roof :)

...lol!... I'd have to be the referee keeping them apart methinks!... it would be a full time job... but still... how good would be that to watch lol!... cheers.

Back