Skip to main content

Housemate Stereotypes and will the trend continue?

insider06

A point of discussion that seem's to come up every year on these forums is certain housemate stereotypes and whether or not the producers cast for stereotypes. I have noticed a trend over the past 4 seasons(2007, 2008, 2012, and 2013) and it got me wondering whether it truly was a trend or just a coincidence and whether or not it will continue in 2014. The past 4 seasons have had the same 2 housemates, a male geek/nerd and an overweight female:

Male Geek/Nerd: Jamie2007, Travis2008(Perhaps not a geek/nerd but he fits the stereotype to a degree), Bradley2012, Ben2013.
Overweight female: Kate2007, Dixie2008, Zoe2012, Heidi2013.

I think it is likely that Alex M likes to cast these stereotypes to add a bit of diversity to the mix that he can fall back on if he is ever accused of casting to many models. I expect to see another token nerd/geek character and another token overweight housemate this year.

Are there any other stereotypes you guys can think of that have been prominent and are likely to continue this year and who agree's that Alex M and the casting team should focus on finding the most interesting personalities instead of choosing a few token housemates every year?

I don't actually care what stereotypes they cast or even whether they do.
I don't even care if they are aspiring actors with star now profiles.

I want interesting people, to watch for possibly 3 months living in a controlled share house and taking part in all the games and competitions as well as building relationships and riding out the BB wave.

I know I'm in the minority here. But the 'stereotypes' and 'aspiring actors' have provided me with plenty of entertainment over the years.

The one stereotype I could do with out is the meatheads with no discernible individual personality... If you are going cast stereotypes at least get interesting people within those sub-sets of people. Perhaps it's a little difficult with that particular group? Haha

I want interesting people, to watch for possibly 3 months living in a controlled share house and taking part in all the games and competitions as well as building relationships and riding out the BB wave.

I know I'm in the minority here. But the 'stereotypes' and 'aspiring actors' have provided me with plenty of entertainment over the years.

The one stereotype I could do with out is the meatheads with no discernible individual personality... If you are going cast stereotypes at least get interesting people within those sub-sets of people. Perhaps it's a little difficult with that particular group? Haha
I don't think it would be to difficult to find interesting and different characters who are attractive. There have been housemates in the past who could fit the stereotypical good looking mould who have been interesting and different housemates e.g. Michael2006.

I understand what you are saying about not caring whether they cast actors or stereotypes and how you just want entertaining people to watch but that is my point. I would rather they cast entertaining people rather then casting a stereotype to fill a role.

I still think the casting is to biased towards attractive people. I wish the attractiveness of someone would not even be a factor and instead they just cast people solely based on their personalities. I have no problem with them casting a couple of good looking people but seriously, last years series did not need Matt, Caleb, AND Ed. They could have cast just 1 of them to fill the bulky, bloke quota and cast two other different, unique people that would have actually added to the show.

I think 2003 is a classic case of great casting and it is obvious that all of the housemates were selected because of their interesting personalities. Sure, there were a couple of stereotypically attractive people like Jo but it was nothing like these days where half the cast have a star now profile.

Anyway at the end of the day, I think Alex M is trying to cast an interesting bunch of people but at the same time he is torn between selecting a fair amount of young, models to help the show compete with shows like Home and Away. What Alex M needs to realise is if he wants the show to be a ratings hit he needs to take a risk and go out and cast everyday people who will embrace the experience, have unique and entertaining personalities and have other motives for being on the show other then receiving a media career on a silver plater when they get out.

If you look back at the best housemates of all time you will most likely think of the likes of Sara-Marie2001, Reggie2003, Chrissie2003, Paul2004, Bree2004, Tim2005, Vesna2005, Camilla2006, Tim2013. None of these people were super models or aspiring actors. I know it is a lot harder these days to find people like this and these days you need people who will add a bit more than just be themselves to hook the audience but Alex M needs to go back to basics and find every day people who Australia will either love or love to hate, heroes and villains.

As long as we don't get another Ed or Sharon i'm quite happy... there were some really boring characters this year.

I feel like casting is very difficult. You could be so out there and a perfect HM in auditions but as soon as you get into the house you could freeze up or be quite introverted and not out there... It's always going to be a hit and a miss.

"Alex M needs to go back to basics and find every day people who Australia will either love or love to hate, heroes and villains"
This is so true and the base for a great series and great ratings!

"Alex M needs to go back to basics and find every day people who Australia will either love or love to hate, heroes and villains"
This is so true and the base for a great series and great ratings!
Yes it all comes down to heroes and villains in the end doesn't it? Just like in all good movies and TV shows. Reality TV is no different. You need the hero/heroine but you also need a villain to makes things interesting and entertaining.

As long as we don't get another Ed or Sharon i'm quite happy... there were some really boring characters this year.

I feel like casting is very difficult. You could be so out there and a perfect HM in auditions but as soon as you get into the house you could freeze up or be quite introverted and not out there... It's always going to be a hit and a miss.
As great as the cast was last year and as big an upgrade as it was over 2012, there were far to many boring housemates who added nothing to the show: Sharon, Rohan, Xavier, Jazz, Caleb, Heidi, Matt, Sugar Sisters, Nathan, Madaline, Ed. That's 11 out of 20 housemates who just did not add to the show and were really boring. They need to cast less people next year and make sure that the majority of them will add to the show. I think it should be 14 original housemates and only 2 intruders like 2012.

I think 1 thing that would definitely contribute to 2014 being a success would be a major villain. Could you imagine having some loveable characters that the whole of Australia adores like Reggie and Chrissie in 2003 and then throwing a character like Jonny FairPlay from Survivor into the mix? That would be ratings gold and I have no doubt that it would propel the show back to the magic million mark on a consistent basis. The formula is quite simple really. If Alex M found 3 characters similar to Reggie, Chrissie, and Jonny FairPlay season 2014 would instantly move forward in comparison to the past couple of seasons. Easier said than done though of course.

dont know if this is a stereotype but someone like layla and jade who makes it to the final 2, without adding much to the show? Dont get me wrong, jade and layla were some of the most relatable and kindest of the show but they just werent interesting.

dont know if this is a stereotype but someone like layla and jade who makes it to the final 2, without adding much to the show? Dont get me wrong, jade and layla were some of the most relatable and kindest of the show but they just werent interesting.

You're one of the true fans of Big Brother still very much after what the original concept of the show was all about. Unfortunately the editors/producers of the Aussie version now usually manipulate the portrayal of certain housemates to milk as much sympathy/negative reaction (i.e. Tully and Jade) and consequently money from their so-called fanbois/gals via voting.

If I were one of producers of the show I'd give little to almost no air time to the likes of Jade who spend their day moping around agonising why such and such guy doesn't feel about them the same way etc, etc.. As far as I'm concerned that is worthless footage that adds little value to the original concept of the show and in turn rendering said housemate worthless as well.

It is maddening that the producers can't think beyond the voting money of a bunch gullible dolts. Is Nine that desperate for cash that they need to resort to these sort of tactics, inflicting dullard housemates on all their viewers just because they happen to have huge daft fanbases too? I wish we could separate the housemates where those who prefer Jade's ilk have their own house/show and another house that consists of entertaining housemates such Boogs, Drew and Tahan for the rest of us true BB fans. :cool:

You're one of the true fans of Big Brother still very much after what the original concept of the show was all about. Unfortunately the editors/producers of the Aussie version now usually manipulate the portrayal of certain housemates to milk as much sympathy/negative reaction (i.e. Tully and Jade) and consequently money from their so-called fanbois/gals via voting.

If I were one of producers of the show I'd give little to almost no air time to the likes of Jade who spend their day moping around agonising why such and such guy doesn't feel about them the same way etc, etc.. As far as I'm concerned that is worthless footage that adds little value to the original concept of the show and in turn rendering said housemate worthless as well.

It is maddening that the producers can't think beyond the voting money of a bunch gullible dolts. Is Nine that desperate for cash that they need to resort to these sort of tactics, inflicting dullard housemates on all their viewers just because they happen to have huge daft fanbases too? I wish we could separate the housemates where those who prefer Jade's ilk have their own house/show and another house that consists of entertaining housemates such Boogs, Drew and Tahan for the rest of us true BB fans. :cool:

I like this concept, a reinvention of the house divided.

I had my tongue firmly planted on my cheeks when I typed that. :cool: On second thought it wouldn't be a bad idea if viewers got to choose which housemates they prefer to be put together in House A and another bunch in House B. Can only imagine what sorts of ratings bonanza a house of full of lovely 'sweet' and 'nice' Jades will deliver to a network. lol

Well it would surely please all bb fan bases. I know exactly what you meant when you posted it originally, still a good concept regardless. I have to say that the producers did a good job in their portrayal of some of the hms though. Bb fans had to speculate most of the time and the boards were more fun to be on then the show at times. In sating that I do feel like I suffered from fools gladly early on when I did buy into the whole poor jade because of these boards. My feminist side wouldn't have it though lol. As long as I get people like tahan on my bb I'll be happy. Although I do think the stereotype of having a nice and mean girl will continue. If not by the hms then the producers forced portrayal of it.

Agree 100%. I enjoyed all of this years housemates (except for maybe Jazz and Sharon) - they all gave me smiles at some stage, and they all made me want to throttle them at another stage.

I think 1 thing that would definitely contribute to 2014 being a success would be a major villain. Could you imagine having some loveable characters that the whole of Australia adores like Reggie and Chrissie in 2003 and then throwing a character like Jonny FairPlay from Survivor into the mix? That would be ratings gold and I have no doubt that it would propel the show back to the magic million mark on a consistent basis. The formula is quite simple really. If Alex M found 3 characters similar to Reggie, Chrissie, and Jonny FairPlay season 2014 would instantly move forward in comparison to the past couple of seasons. Easier said than done though of course.

I've not watched survivor since the first season so not sure who that is, however I am not convinced that Australia would appreciate a true 'villain'. Tim walked the line and got as close as someone could get in Australia without being a complete turn off and actually hurting the show. I'm not saying I wouldn't like to see a villain, I just can't see it working in our culture unfortunately.

Well it would surely please all bb fan bases. I know exactly what you meant when you posted it originally, still a good concept regardless. I have to say that the producers did a good job in their portrayal of some of the hms though. Bb fans had to speculate most of the time and the boards were more fun to be on then the show at times. In sating that I do feel like I suffered from fools gladly early on when I did buy into the whole poor jade because of these boards. My feminist side wouldn't have it though lol. As long as I get people like tahan on my bb I'll be happy. Although I do think the stereotype of having a nice and mean girl will continue. If not by the hms then the producers forced portrayal of it.

I think the problem with my half-joking ( a little 'troll' jab at Jade fans :cool:) half-serious suggestion is that advertisers wouldn't be that enthusiastic about dividing their potential customers. So even though I'd welcome a move where fans have more control of who they'd want to watch ultimately it's the networks and advertisers who take priority in these decisions and having two feeds does not fit into that, eve more son on commercial tv. Perhaps if BB was on cable it could work but whilst it's on FTA it'll remain a fantasy. *sigh*

I think the problem with my half-joking ( a little 'troll' jab at Jade fans :cool:) half-serious suggestion is that advertisers wouldn't be that enthusiastic about dividing their potential customers. So even though I'd welcome a move where fans have more control of who they'd want to watch ultimately it's the networks and advertisers who take priority in these decisions and having two feeds does not fit into that, eve more son on commercial tv. Perhaps if BB was on cable it could work but whilst it's on FTA it'll remain a fantasy. *sigh*

I have a feeling that you enjoy the half joking and half serious posting, con. Strangely, it's when you are at your best too, wrong or right. Just for you, I hope next years winner is to your liking ;)

I have a feeling that you enjoy the half joking and half serious posting, con. Strangely, it's when you are at your best too, wrong or right. Just for you, I hope next years winner is to your liking ;)

You know what, I reckon this fanciful notion could work if you had half an hour dedicated to House A and the other half hour to House B on the same channel. They played a prank on the BB '12 housemates on a similar theme but this time they should do it for real!

I have a feeling that you enjoy the half joking and half serious posting
Jade fans an easy target, they get offended at the tiniest hint of someone implying Jade isn't the sweetest most innocent girl on the face of this planet that they believe her to be.

I normally would just ignore their batshit devotion and leave them to their own company but the amount of over the top fawning they do over this girl, at the expense of making other housemates look like arseholes, gets ridiculously unbearable at times. It really is a cult of sorts. lol :cool:

I hope next years winner is to your liking
In 10 seasons of BB AU it hasn't happened yet. About time I reckon. :)

[MENTION=28562]Connoisseur[/MENTION], I'm all for it, as long it doesn't turn into a backfired prank on us and the wrong house comes through :p. I don't care who people follow, but as someone once said, I think jade is as pure as yellow snow, so I don't get it either. But I'm sure there are many who don't get why I like tahan either. Though it doesn't bother me if no one else likes her ;)

I've not watched survivor since the first season so not sure who that is, however I am not convinced that Australia would appreciate a true 'villain'. Tim walked the line and got as close as someone could get in Australia without being a complete turn off and actually hurting the show. I'm not saying I wouldn't like to see a villain, I just can't see it working in our culture unfortunately.
I understand what you are saying but I disagree. As long as the villain is entertaining and not an "asshole" than I am sure a villain would do quite well, particularly in a vote to save.

Back