Skip to main content

House/Studio Location

So in terms of being cut off from the outside world that's probably the best location they could hope for in Sydney, though surely the first time the house is built on a World Heritege Site, which could bring it's own problems. Is a shame if it limits the audience but no audience is less of an issue than it not being live - and indeed can add to the illusion of the house being cut off from the outside world. One thing I liked about the US version when it had no weekly audience for evictions in it's early series was the evictions were about how the houseguests reacted, not how an audience would react.

Its not always done. But surprise evictions are great to watch for the houseguests reactions. Typically they are laying around in bed or or in the shower. Julie or Arisa will call them to the living room. There is no audience and they drop the bomb someone is going home. It doenst happen very often. BBCAN is much better at shocking the houseguest whereas BBUSA is does a very poor job at that.

Its not always done. But surprise evictions are great to watch for the houseguests reactions. Typically they are laying around in bed or or in the shower. Julie or Arisa will call them to the living room. There is no audience and they drop the bomb someone is going home. It doenst happen very often. BBCAN is much better at shocking the houseguest whereas BBUSA is does a very poor job at that.

The surprise evictions in BBUSA and BBCAN are always at the exact same point every season now so they're not a surprise at all, unless you're a houseguest who is unfamiliar with the format and none of the others in there have warned you about it.

Obviously BBUK isn't the format that the new BBAU will be taking but this is a great surprise eviction:

When would they start building the house for a February start? Mid December?

Depends - it's essentially a set so could go up very quickly, but with it being the residential home of 15 or so people for a couple of months suspect it has to clear a bit of red tape too.

Anyone got any info on the buildings on the island which the house could be built inside?

Not much other detail, I saw it on a tv crew facebook crew but the contract for the production secretary begins now and ends in April.

This article is interesting in that ITV Studios have had to relocate The Voice due to Disney excluding them from Fox Studios. They have done exactly what we have suggested for BBAU: find a warehouse and convert it. They even looked at "old Bunnings warehouses" (or, perhaps Masters??? hmmm...) and while he won't reveal its location yet I'll stick with my tip of Alexandria again.

This article is interesting in that ITV Studios have had to relocate The Voice due to Disney excluding them from Fox Studios. They have done exactly what we have suggested for BBAU: find a warehouse and convert it. They even looked at "old Bunnings warehouses" (or, perhaps Masters??? hmmm...) and while he won't reveal its location yet I'll stick with my tip of Alexandria again.

In all seriousness I don't know why they don't look at other cities other than Sydney and Melbourne where space is not at a premium and they may actually be able to find buildings the size they need for a lot less than they would pay in those two cities. I might be wrong but it seems like it would be the nature of the work that if you work in the industry you may have to work interstate sometimes, as not all production teams would currently be only from Sydney or Melbourne now, so would it matter if the location was Brisbane, Hobart, or Adelaide instead?

exactly so why are these channels so obsessed with Sydney and Melbourne only??
Probably for their convenience.

Remember when The Block was resuscitated in Melbourne, and for years they harped on to Melbourne locals it was MADE IN MELBOURNE to try and rally support for it? So I do agree that (ahem - if BBAU was to be live and have live evictions) it would probably have massive support from people if it was based in Adelaide or somewhere else where nothing else (um, TV-wise) happens. The crowds would be very enthusiastic. Unfortunately it seems to be a moot point unless Seven comes to its senses and airs the show in real time.

In all seriousness I don't know why they don't look at other cities other than Sydney and Melbourne where space is not at a premium and they may actually be able to find buildings the size they need for a lot less than they would pay in those two cities. I might be wrong but it seems like it would be the nature of the work that if you work in the industry you may have to work interstate sometimes, as not all production teams would currently be only from Sydney or Melbourne now, so would it matter if the location was Brisbane, Hobart, or Adelaide instead?
If you read the article ITV do put in their justification - the Sydney location helps them attract the judges, but I think crucially they know if they're struggling to find a space then other producers are as well, so they're taking the opportunity of solving a problem for themselves and also creating a revenue stream by solving a problem for other producers too.

Back