Skip to main content

Help settle a Debate

Who is most hated?

• Affable

• Reepbot

Results are only viewable after voting.
Why is an ellipsis passive aggressive? (Forewarning - potential grammar discussion)
Fair question. In here they are often used for the passive aggressive middle to signal fellow moderates that they have a 'live one' and are squarely in condescending, indulging mode.

You don't use them for passive aggressive purposes, but some do. 'Right...' and 'OK...' are great examples of using the ellipsis to sarcastically denote you are in no way associated with stupid.

Who here uses them for passive aggressive purposes?

i thought i locked in that honour 9 years ago. there are a few others that could possibly lay claim. but a couple of nine-era noobs? not a chance.

I've worked very hard to be the most hated here. Posters here curse my name. The skies seem to darken into grey clouds when I start to post. Dogs whimper under the beds and trees suddenly have no leaves.

The common thread seems to be people who have indulged your whimsy but do not want to have their clique hierarchy affected. They signal back to the herd "we're still cool".
Oooh. What's the clique hierarchy? Do I need to get more informed about this??

Passive aggression is essentially the art of indirection. The ellipsis can used for et cetera and tailing off, but when used for indirection, it's passive aggressive.
Did anyone watch Penn and Teller last night? (... speaking of misdirection)

Back