Skip to main content

General O/T Chit Chat Thead II

Definitely not, I always go peek at the orchestra hidden under while the stage performance is taking place because I absolutely love watching the music come to life and the sounds with the vibrations are something else.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but You don’t stay in one place for long?
I lived in Phnom Penh for almost six years, and now in Siem Reap. So no, I'm not a nomad. Very much the opposite, really.

I lived in Phnom Penh for almost six years, and now in Siem Reap. So no, I'm not a nomad. Very much the opposite, really.
I didn’t mean any disrespect if it came across that way. I just found it interesting. I remember you saying you wouldn’t return to Australia and also things about trains. I can’t say I know the areas so I just made a silly assumption you never stayed in a spot for long.

Sounds like moulin rouge was a hit with some of you guys. I was contemplating whether to go. The last stage show I watched was for my kids birthday- Charlie and the chocolate factory. A while back! They loved it and I generally enjoy theatre. As a family we used to go every once in a while. But then covid happened and everything stopped. I haven’t even gone to a movie for over two years now.
Go!

It’s so good. The set is so immersive. The show starts before it starts. You feel like you are in the Moulin Rouge. Bit weird seeing Simon Bourke outside of Play School haha but he is great. And Timonatic is surprisingly talented singing and talking in French accent. The two main actors are brilliant (do you remember my story of meeting the main guy at Hamilton) he is as talented as he was fun!

Lots of modern pop songs reworked to tell the story. Lots of laughs and emotions.

So worth it. At the very least try for $30 lottery tickets on the todaytix app ;)

I've still got Gold Class Vouchers we were given for Christmas 2019. Thankfully the expiry date was extended. But there's nothing we want to see just now.
Gold Class is the kiss of death for me - big reclining seat, glass of wine, dim lighting = View attachment 59238
Have you seen Elvis? If it’s still playing at your Gold Class I would HIGHLY recommend.

Yeah I'm 7000km away, unfortunately. And you're right, it wouldn't be the same without the massive sound system and being enveloped in it all.
Nothing beats the live experience. But I don’t know, the filmed version of Hamilton was pretty good. I wish they would do that for all stage shows and musicals.

Definitely not, I always go peek at the orchestra hidden under while the stage performance is taking place because I absolutely love watching the music come to life and the sounds with the vibrations are something else.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but You don’t stay in one place for long?
The orchestra is in a room somewhere for Moulin Rouge, not in the pit. Always makes me question whether it’s not actually pre recorded. I think the last musical I saw like that was Muriel’s Wedding.

There is a seating area where the orchestra pit would normally be. I don’t actually think sitting there would be the best experience though.

Oh this has unlocked a memory of once having a few hours to kill before a train ride so I went to the movies and fell asleep almost instantly. Actually an amazing nap as well and it wasn’t even gold class!

Oh this has unlocked a memory of once having a few hours to kill before a train ride so I went to the movies and fell asleep almost instantly. Actually an amazing nap as well and it wasn’t even gold class!
Haha I think the only time I have slept in the movies was when I was a late teen and we used to go to the movie marathons (is that still a thing?) where you would watch 3 movies in a row starting at like 10pm. I distinctly remember laying on the floor and going to sleep through the second movie one time haha.

Haha I think the only time I have slept in the movies was when I was a late teen and we used to go to the movie marathons (is that still a thing?) where you would watch 3 movies in a row starting at like 10pm. I distinctly remember laying on the floor and going to sleep through the second movie one time haha.

Haha damn, I am old because there is no way I can imagine going to something that started at 10.

Have you seen Elvis? If it’s still playing at your Gold Class I would HIGHLY recommend.
No, I haven't.
We're going to have to start having a look before the expiry dates run out.
The Bowie doco sounds good, although we've probably seen every bit of Bowie footage there has been. But it'd still be good to see.

ikr? 😂

Even worse post-Covid. I went to bed before 8pm on Saturday.

Lol ok that’s early for even me but I think if I had a weekend all to myself to do anything I wanted I very possibly would go to bed early.

Funny because my dad was always one for early bed times and early starts and I could never ever relate and now it turns out he and I have one thing in common. But he is extreme, he goes to bed at like 7 and is always up before 5!

Lol ok that’s early for even me but I think if I had a weekend all to myself to do anything I wanted I very possibly would go to bed early.

Funny because my dad was always one for early bed times and early starts and I could never ever relate and now it turns out he and I have one thing in common. But he is extreme, he goes to bed at like 7 and is always up before 5!

It's weird in Cambodia because it's light at 5.30am year round, and people here are early birds. And also getting dark by 6.30pm. I miss the longer evenings of Australia but being close to the equator there's not much difference between summer and "winter" - I think the increase in daylight hours is less than 90 minutes at the peak of summer, compared to winter.

Anyway I usually crash by 9.30pm. Covid has left me fading even earlier though. It's crazy.

It is so strange how I used to catch the last train 12:10am into the city to go out to clubs. Drinking Woodstocks on the train.

Now if I am out, which I have barely been in the last few years, it's often checking the train times to catch trains homes before they stop. Often well before the last train home which is now around 1am.

If you were at a club before 11pm it was so early, now that would be late to be out. Although as I said, this is still even past pre-covid life.

My girlfriend jokes about how much more sociable I am than her, but really I barely see any of my friends anymore. Even when I get messages I don't even know how to respond timely. It's so weird.

Having said that, I was just in Fiji, some by myself to dive with sharks, then with some friends that honestly I don't know well but they were going to Fiji and I was invited. While I was there my girlfriend who couldn't go was asked out by our personal trainer. Unaware we've been dating for a few years. It just became a, "let's not mention it" and then a few years have gone past.

Of course, she said, "no." I don't have any jealousy issues. If anything I feel sorry for my trainer, marriage break up during covid etc, but fuck it does really bring up the point that I would be fucked socially if my girlfriend left me. We were together pre-covid but I don't know what I would have done during covid without her. We don't live together but live really close. Just joking around with her about if I got back and she was like, "I'm now with.., you were gone." It really would fuck up my life and it would be so empty, especially as there's so little social life. There'd be no coping mechanism or distraction. No regular drinks or anything. I assume I could manage but yeah it'd suck.

It's weird in Cambodia because it's light at 5.30am year round, and people here are early birds. And also getting dark by 6.30pm. I miss the longer evenings of Australia but being close to the equator there's not much difference between summer and "winter" - I think the increase in daylight hours is less than 90 minutes at the peak of summer, compared to winter.

Anyway I usually crash by 9.30pm. Covid has left me fading even earlier though. It's crazy.

Oh yes funny you say that because my dad did live in Thailand and Singapore so obviously also relatively close to the equator, so maybe that lead to his sleep patterns. Pretty sure he was always this way though!

Hopefully you recover soon and are able to stay up later if you so desire.

So just to give everyone an update… I’m doing well. Took me a few days to get over the shock of what happened. I think the fact that I still have no memory of how it all happened has helped a lot… Although part of me does want to know. Other than a letter I received today referring me to victims services I haven’t heard anything from Calgary Police.

Back