Skip to main content

General O/T Chit Chat Thead II

I’m so lucky that I’ve managed to stay out of most of the drama on these forums… I’ve only ever caused my own.

I used to occasionally search my name on the forums just to see what came up and I was always a part of some list that Whitty and the gang would put together.

A number of years ago they’d tag me in different parts of the forum, which I can only assume was to bait me in to fights.

He was the first (and most often) to reply to me. As you know, I'm a Yank & even your slang baffled me for quite a while (to your amusement mostly) haha BTW I'm still in contact w/Columbo. He says that Brekkie banned him & hates him. He wonders if anyone would unban him, or at least listen to him so he can explain, he's not a troll. He just has an adversarial relationship w/Drama. Thanks for the (haha somewhat tepid) voice of encouragement haha
You really have to see past the bumbling idiot persona to see what we all see… The Reep banning has been a long time coming. As someone who was known as a troll around these parts for a very long time it’s pretty common to claim your adverse to drama and yet still live for it.

As for my slag I’ve been a part of this forum for almost 20 years now and I lived in Australia… It’s a weird mix of British, Canadian, and Aussie slang.

lol if its any help I never quite understood the Clique thing - and I had some dealings wit WB. he was a weird dude.
I started to wonder if he was institutionalised or something. He was very weird.
And I think Reepbot did pop in the other week with a new user name actually. But they may have banned that one too.
And AFAIK Affable announced his departure (several times) but eventually actually did it. Of his own accord I think …?

You really have to see past the bumbling idiot persona to see what we all see… The Reep banning has been a long time coming. As someone who was known as a troll around these parts for a very long time it’s pretty common to claim your adverse to drama and yet still live for it.

As for my slag I’ve been a part of this forum for almost 20 years now and I lived in Australia… It’s a weird mix of British, Canadian, and Aussie slang.
haha weird mix of slang, however, it's the Aussie slang that's new to me My ex husband is a Brit

Ok i think I will summon @MADONNA for this one because they seem like the person most likely to appreciate this development
giphy.gif

Haha, I can even tell the difference between Aussie accents from different states.
Do we really have state accents though? Sociocultural sure but regional? I can only think of two reasons personally that would make me suspect that someone was from another state. First would be someone saying Leeeeeeeeeeeyyyyyyyyyyyygo - obvious SA - and that's just due to the word. And the Greek/Italian/Middle-Eastern accent because we don't have a huge population of them up here in QLD.

Do we really have state accents though? Sociocultural sure but regional? I can only think of two reasons personally that would make me suspect that someone was from another state. First would be someone saying Leeeeeeeeeeeyyyyyyyyyyyygo - obvious SA - and that's just due to the word. And the Greek/Italian/Middle-Eastern accent because we don't have a huge population of them up here in QLD.
Perhaps it's not so much a regional accent as it's the difference between educational levels or country vs city haha

I think it's regional, e.g. pronunciation of dance/trance/lance

SA sounds like dahnce/trahnce/lahnce (same as NZ), whereas in Qld they rhyme with pants.

SA sounds like dahnce/trahnce/lahnce (same as NZ), whereas in Qld they rhyme with pants.
You can get pahnts up here too though (usually from the snobby types) so regional pronunciations aren't always obvious.

I moved to Adelaide in 1986 after being raised in Broken Hill, so I say dants, trants, lants.
But my younger brother picked up more of his education here and so says them the posh way.

People from Melbourne (and I'm thinking Daryl Somers as an example here) pronounce 'album' as what to my ears sounds like 'elbum'.
And a lot of male Big Brother and Masterchef contestants pronounce 'girl' as 'gell' and 'elimination' as 'uhlimination'.

Back