Skip to main content

Format and production thoughts

I have been thinking of ways to improve the new format and also trying to be realistic.

The show becomes live.

Up to 12-14 housemates.

Sunday Nights - Eviction + Eviction Interview with Sonia and highlights included of the evicted HM's time in the house. (like the old days).
Monday Night - The challenge to win the power of putting up three housemates for eviction.
Tuesday Night - Public's vote as the veto revealed.

Repeats through the season until the final 3. A double eviction put in there at some point. A jury forms and the housemates ultimately decide the winner.

With the current schedule likely to be the same next year and Australian TV doesn't really have their tentpole shows every odd night so having it live and in real time might be a problem because then Wednesday-Saturday ends up with the housemates doing nothing.

Unless...
Each episode is played out over 2 days. It's in real time but it doesn't have the 24 hour turnaround.

Weekly cycle:
"Sunday" Day 1&2 - The result of the public's veto is revealed to the housemates. The two nominated HM's still standing for eviction have 24 hours to convince the others not to vote for them. Episode then features the eviction room drama with Sonia. The housemates vote (we see their votes in the diary room). Then a housemate gets evicted and has a interview and highlights with Sonia on set. (Filmed on Wednesdays and Thursdays).

"Monday" Day 3,4,5 - The challenge. Housemate who wins has a few hours to think about who they want to put up. Day 4 and 5 - House food shopping task. At the end of the show viewers have about 24 hours to "save" a housemate from eviction. (Filmed Friday,Saturday,Sunday)

"Tuesday" Day 6&7 - Sonia reveals to the public which housemate was saved in the episode. Follows the daily life in the house. The 3 housemates can scramble if they want to. (Filmed Mondays and Tuesdays).

This is just a rough draft. Obviously a lot of improvements could be made. And it might be too long dragged out only having 1 eviction a week?

The first episode would be a traditional "launch" show (with Sonia meeting the housemates in front of the house) and all of the housemates packages would be played in this episode ;).
We still haven't seen some of the housemates' package videos. Have we seen Xav's video ? I'm sure there may be a couple more, possibly Sophie or something.

I don't think having one eviction a week dragged things in the ten or nine era big brother.

I think TV moves more fast now. And the producers obviously wanted someone going home at the end of every episode just like Survivor. My draft is some sort of compromise of the format we currently have. We also would have a slightly longer series run time, less housemates and a chance to get to know them.

We still haven't seen some of the housemates' package videos. Have we seen Xav's video ? I'm sure there may be a couple more, possibly Sophie or something.

I worked out we haven't seen Xavier or Casey's videos yet. Sophie we did see in episode 4. I remember her saying it was always one of her dreams to be on Big Brother in her video package.

I have been thinking of ways to improve the new format and also trying to be realistic.

The show becomes live.

Up to 12-14 housemates.

Sunday Nights - Eviction + Eviction Interview with Sonia and highlights included of the evicted HM's time in the house. (like the old days).
Monday Night - The challenge to win the power of putting up three housemates for eviction.
Tuesday Night - Public's vote as the veto revealed.

Repeats through the season until the final 3. A double eviction put in there at some point. A jury forms and the housemates ultimately decide the winner.

With the current schedule likely to be the same next year and Australian TV doesn't really have their tentpole shows every odd night so having it live and in real time might be a problem because then Wednesday-Saturday ends up with the housemates doing nothing.

Unless...
Each episode is played out over 2 days. It's in real time but it doesn't have the 24 hour turnaround.

Weekly cycle:
"Sunday" Day 1&2 - The result of the public's veto is revealed to the housemates. The two nominated HM's still standing for eviction have 24 hours to convince the others not to vote for them. Episode then features the eviction room drama with Sonia. The housemates vote (we see their votes in the diary room). Then a housemate gets evicted and has a interview and highlights with Sonia on set. (Filmed on Wednesdays and Thursdays).

"Monday" Day 3,4,5 - The challenge. Housemate who wins has a few hours to think about who they want to put up. Day 4 and 5 - House food shopping task. At the end of the show viewers have about 24 hours to "save" a housemate from eviction. (Filmed Friday,Saturday,Sunday)

"Tuesday" Day 6&7 - Sonia reveals to the public which housemate was saved in the episode. Follows the daily life in the house. The 3 housemates can scramble if they want to. (Filmed Mondays and Tuesdays).

This is just a rough draft. Obviously a lot of improvements could be made. And it might be too long dragged out only having 1 eviction a week?
No point doing it "live" then pre-recording the evictions. The scheduling of Aussie TV being basically Sun-Wed only causes problems for BB - the only way it can work really is so the eviction is the last episode of the week, so it could be done with episodes airing as you say a few days after they've taken place, then catching up until we get to the eviction, which would include the public saving a nominee and the vote and eviction.

I think in reality they'll pre-record again next year but hopefully expand to a two episode cycle. If it's the same format as this year you'd have the shopping task and nomination challenge in episode one, then nominations and eviction in episode 2 - but hopefully with a bit of time between the challenge and nominations to exploit that element of game play. If they add in some kind of Veto or Battle of the Block where a nominee can be saved that would go in episode 2 and I'd end episode 1 with the nominations.

No point doing it "live" then pre-recording the evictions. The scheduling of Aussie TV being basically Sun-Wed only causes problems for BB - the only way it can work really is so the eviction is the last episode of the week, so it could be done with episodes airing as you say a few days after they've taken place, then catching up until we get to the eviction, which would include the public saving a nominee and the vote and eviction.

That would make sense. I think I was stuck in the “Sunday Night Eviction” era with my plans. 😉

If Big Brother is a show about strangers living together with no (barring extreme circumstance) outside contact I think HM's voting each other out makes more sense than the public voting because when you have the public vote, it's a reminder you're being watched by people in their homes and what/who they like which will likely influence how the HM's act which I think goes against the idea of people living in an isolated environment with no outside information.

In this format where the HM's are voting each other out I really like having no audience because if Sonia's asking a question to the fan favorite at the final 10 for example and the crowd's cheering it lets everyone know that person will likely win and it sets them up to be voted out.

Does anyone know how to start a petition to get big brother back to the old format?? Or is there one already?
It has rated really well but only because there is few options at the moment. Everyone I've heard from had said this format is unbearable and unfortunately if it keeps getting decent viewership it will come back exactly the same. Something needs to be done so that we don't have to put up with this rubbish next year.

It’s to drive more traffic over to 7plus

That’s obvious... It’s an extremely poor effort on their part. Social media or online content should be an opinion support for the broadcast episodes not essential viewing to put the show in to context.

It sounds like a copy of Drag Race’s tagline ‘id you’re not watching Untucked, you’re only getting half the story’

That’s obvious... It’s an extremely poor effort on their part. Social media or online content should be an opinion support for the broadcast episodes not essential viewing to put the show in to context.
Particularly annoying for those of us who need to fire up our VPN to watch it, whereas if it was on FB or Twitter we could just hit play. But seriously why couldn't they just package Eye Spy as a one hour show and include the votes, exit interviews (taped at the time of exit*), and other additional footage and air it on Mate/Flix, perhaps on Wednesdays?

*I assume Sonia is talking to the house from Seven's Eveleigh studios and can't be arsed driving out to Manly. But they could still do the exit interview from the DR or another special room on site even if Sonia isn't actually there. Would look so much more professional and less like some cheap arse afterthought done via Skype.

Particularly annoying for those of us who need to fire up our VPN to watch it, whereas if it was on FB or Twitter we could just hit play. But seriously why couldn't they just package Eye Spy as a one hour show and include the votes, exit interviews (taped at the time of exit*), and other additional footage and air it on Mate/Flix, perhaps on Wednesdays?

*I assume Sonia is talking to the house from Seven's Eveleigh studios and can't be arsed driving out to Manly. But they could still do the exit interview from the DR or another special room on site even if Sonia isn't actually there. Would look so much more professional and less like some cheap arse afterthought done via Skype.

She lives in Manly, so she’d be doing it from the house.

Oh well I agree. But... happy to have the VPN to also use to watch all the OTHER stuff. Eg, especially iview. (Except being defunded again). Sighhh.
i love iview.

But that’s effort for the viewer and Australians are passive watchers

Reactions: mia
Back