Skip to main content

Format and production thoughts

With MKR almost certain to be cancelled, could they not move BB to it's slot to go up against I'm a Celeb? No footy to worry about then.

Going back to filming live and airing away from the big reality shows on Nine and Ten would be ideal. So airing from March-May would be perfect.

You have the remember that the AFL runs on 7mate in both Sydney and Brisbane. Melbourne Adelaide and Perth it only runs on 7. AFL is very melbourne.

This new version of Big Brother ain’t bad at all. At least it’s watchable which I was worried it would be complete garbage. I am a Big Brother tragic. I had my expectations before the show started that it would be more Survivor in a house and I love Survivor.

The episodes are a bit too formulaic though. I do wish it had a bit of variety to it. More housemates being housemates footage.

I feel like something’s missing. Is it the live factor? It doesn’t feel as exciting as it once did.

I feel like something’s missing. Is it the live factor? It doesn’t feel as exciting as it once did.

Oh, without a doubt. This is unquestionably the one major disconnect we, the audience, have with the show. It's not really our show any more, until the final 3. Now there are those that are in the inner circle, who already know what happens, and so can structure the edit on this info, and us watching it all play out. Very much the Survivor formula. I have read that one of the Survivor producers is working on this as well.

Hopefully they will get brave enough for a new season to do a real live BB season, but I have little faith, because it suits production more, when they are prerecorded. The whole PC culture thing these days allows them to configure unexpected or surprising situations and their ability to adapt to those situations. A challenge that doesn't work as they expected it to work, could for example be re recorded. As a matter of fact, the first eviction on the show was recorded twice, because the crew forgot to press the record button, so I read.

What's interesting for me in terms of production is the fact that the formula is playing out almost exactly as it has in seasons past. The problem though is, are the current production crew following an established story arc or did all the other seasons create that story arc which they are now following?

Ep 1
Ep 2
Ep 3
Ep 4
Ep 5
Ep 6
Intro/Prev
3​
3​
4​
4​
4​
3​
Task
27​
7​
9​
15​
7​
20​
Interaction
18​
23​
25​
22​
14​
14​
Challenge
8​
14​
13​
12​
21​
10​
Nominations
5​
4​
7​
5​
5​
3​
Scramble
8​
16​
12​
6​
8​
6​
Tribal
7​
9​
7​
7​
8​
8​
Vote/Result
3​
4​
3​
4​
3​
3​
Bye/Next
3​
2​
1​
2​
2​
4​
I personally would like to see in the future for them to lower the amount of tasks. I'm fine with food budget tasks but a task every episode is too much for me, especially when i don't care to see them eat pizza. That time can be used to get to know the HM's better, or in some cases, at all.

Uni has burnt me out hence short replies. Once i have the time and energy i will post a full format and production review for BBAU 2020.

In my opinion this is the Ideal 90 minute BBAU episode rundown minus 20 minutes of advertising:

15 Minutes - day 1 getting to know housemates now with added strategy talk.
15 Minutes - day 1 nominations challenge.
5 Minutes - day 1 nominations ceremony.

15 Minutes - day 2 getting to know housemates now with added strategy talk.
15 Minutes - day 2 eviction voting.
5 Minutes - day 2 eviction interview.

BBAU should air from Monday to Wednesday from 7 30 PM to 9 PM in order to keep scheduling consistant.
The weekly grocery shopping task, and all others, should be abolished because they are filler in this format.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:
In my opinion this is the Ideal BBAU episode rundown:

15 Minutes - day 1 getting to know housemates.
15 Minutes - day 1 nominations challenge.
5 Minutes - day 1 nominations ceremony.

15 Minutes - day 2 getting to know housemates.
15 Minutes - day 2 eviction voting.
5 Minutes - day 2 eviction interview.

BBAU should air from Monday to Wednesday from 7 30 PM to 9 PM in order to keep scheduling consistant.
The weekly grocery shopping task, and all others, should be abolished because they are filler in this format.

What do you guys think?
I think this is good, i'd probably dedicate at least 10 mins to strat talk. Also I enjoy the shopping tasks, i think for me they have been a highlight of the show, but i'd only have them maybe once a week.

i'd probably go:
20 mins - getting to know the hm's/fallout from eviction from the night before
10 mins - Nomination Challenge
5 mins - Nomination Process
20 mins - strat talk, maybe chuck in a few general convos.
10 mins - eviction and voting

At least once a week incoorporate a challenge into the strat time or general convo time..

I would like them to give the polish format a go - they filmed in an actual house with just remote cameras. I feel like that’s the most obvious format change to go with for Australia. This isn’t big brother, it’s survivor with electricity imo.

I used to like Friday Night Games (I know a lot here hate it but meh).

But that was once a week. Now it's every bloody episode, strategy talk and other conversations fall by the way-side.

I might as well watch other RTV (which I never have because it's always been catty, bitch, strategy talk).

For me the episodes are too structured to a text book survivor episode format.

1. A brief funny moment before the intro (Angela doing exercise or Marissa "making noise" with the ball. Very similar to survivor episodes like when we saw John and Lee go naked into the water.
2. We hear from maybe 3-4 housemates with some generic house interaction and just casual story line explanations.
3. A task where the housemates earn a reward (this is literally just like how survivor has reward challenges at the beginning of the episodes).
4. The nominations challenge and then nominations.
5. A scramble for votes amongst the nominees exactly like when survivor contestants know they are in danger.
6. We essentially then have a tribal council in a lounge room.

I do think the "previously on Big Brother' and the "next on Big Brother" filler segments should be scrapped. If we must keep the weekly grocery task we should filter it out through the week to maximise the entertainment value at minimal detraction from the show.

I'm feeling it also, it's not the same experience being a viewer anymore.

You just have so much less. There are no live blogs and there's no daily updates. You watch it for three days, then it just goes away for the rest of the week. It's not the same.

I was always one of the main creators and posters for photoshopped images on here, it amuses me and I liked doing it. This year I'm struggling to find anything to grasp on to as there's little inspiration. Whereas watching it daily, you'd pick up on more little things to be inspired. Reading the daily updates throughout the day would have pictures that inspire something. None of that is there this year.

Flicking through my old ones, it just makes me miss how much enjoyment I got out of the show.

Back