Skip to main content

Format and production thoughts

True. However, my guess is that the producers have got slim pickings of personality from the housemates.

I hope I am wrong but I am assuming that the other housemates are doing next to nothing and treating this as a holiday. Potentially not giving enough content so they are just going with what they have got.

My guess is in editing several days down to a 90 minute cohesive storyline there are obviously going to be some content that’s left out. I think it’s still too early to judge.

What really needs to change though and could still be re-edited is the voting. Spending a few minutes on not showing us how the vote plays out is pointless - we need to see who is voting for who, and frankly if we've watched the show for an hour and a half we're not going to tune out 5 minutes from the end just because the votes have been revealed. That moment of us knowing but the housemates not knowing gives viewers the feeling they know something they don't (or at least didn't 4 months ago), and part of the expeirence of watching.

I don't agree, I like having some suspense. They don't do that in America normally, but they really miss out. Getting people boringly troop to the DR one after the other to give a name like in the US version is boring. They could always show the rest of the votes and reasons at the end of the program, similar to what they do on Survivor.

And an eviction every day is obviously Fast Forward Big Brother, I don't know why anyone would want that.

I don't agree, I like having some suspense. They don't do that in America normally, but they really miss out. Getting people boringly troop to the DR one after the other to give a name like in the US version is boring. They could always show the rest of the votes and reasons at the end of the program, similar to what they do on Survivor.

And an eviction every day is obviously Fast Forward Big Brother, I don't know why anyone would want that.

I disagree... Showing the votes as they’re cast isn’t an issue. Knowing before the HM’s doesn’t necessarily kill off any suspense as we’ve yet to see how the HM’s will react. To be completely honest the entire editing process this series so far has lead us to a possible conclusion already before the HM’s have even voted.... The vote has just confirmed the inevitable.

I feel bad for Marissa, she's gotten a horrible edit so far, she's barely shown then out of nowhere she goes full Karen mode.

That part with the ball in the garden when she was exercising didn't look convincing to me, like they were supposed to have heard it in the bedroom. Also with some other HMs you sometimes see looks apparently aimed towards someone but I always wonder if that's just editing tricks. I know most of the audience for reality shows just accept everything as fact and question nothing

That part with the ball in the garden when she was exercising didn't look convincing to me, like they were supposed to have heard it in the bedroom. Also with some other HMs you sometimes see looks apparently aimed towards someone but I always wonder if that's just editing tricks. I know most of the audience for reality shows just accept everything as fact and question nothing

The floor in the garden is possibly a subfloor and the one in the house definitely is... It’s possible noise is carrying through the house... It’s obvious they’ve put in sounds in post production but perhaps to emphasize something that’s not necessarily picked up on the actual recording.

I disagree... Showing the votes as they’re cast isn’t an issue. Knowing before the HM’s doesn’t necessarily kill off any suspense as we’ve yet to see how the HM’s will react. To be completely honest the entire editing process this series so far has lead us to a possible conclusion already before the HM’s have even voted.... The vote has just confirmed the inevitable.
Also we are not gettng any insight at all in to why housemates are voting as they are. They're asking for reasons but not showing them, but more crucially aren't showing us any diary room footage pre or post eviction with housemates going into more detail over why they're voting the way they are. Three votes in and we've no idea if people are just voting on personal issues or if there is some game play going on, whether individual or as part of an alliance.

Also we are not gettng any insight at all in to why housemates are voting as they are. They're asking for reasons but not showing them, but more crucially aren't showing us any diary room footage pre or post eviction with housemates going into more detail over why they're voting the way they are. Three votes in and we've no idea if people are just voting on personal issues or if there is some game play going on, whether individual or as part of an alliance.

Agreed... Now that you mention it we aren’t getting a lot of insight in to strategy and/or alliances in the DR at all.

Has it been confirmed how many episodes there are. I've seen reported of 24 which suggest some non-eviction episodes. Not sure if Allan was talking nonsense but the suggestion he'll be back means it is possible at some point the early evictees will compete to return to the house. Possible they might do a fake eviction too.
Rison posted NZ TV3's rate card here, which has their schedule and shows 24 eps (admittedly I didn't go through and count them) here.

So yes I think there'll be some returning HMs/fake evictions. once Covid-19 was a thing I'm not sure anyone would have returned after having left the house though, so maybe they got held in a secret room or something, watching the house on a secret mission/task.

I think they could get rid of Sonia all together. Go back to the old big brother voices and have us hear the voice played into the house rather than have it edited in after and clean up the editing so it's not so choppy and we can get a bit more of their personalities and relationships rather than short snippets of strategy. I would love to see it not being so family friendly because it just seems so contrived, edited and manipulated without it. At the end they should show who voted for who while the credits roll. Maybe have it on 4 days a week and only do evictions every second day so they can fit more of their conversations and show their relationships so we actually get to know them.

so when the housemates talk to BB they are hearing a producers normal voice?? then they use the HAL9000 voice in post production to repeat exactly what the producer originally said?

thats kinda stupid.

any prodcer could use that voice changer and just speak as big brother. simple
I thought the same thing that they could at least use a voice changer, the housemates and us will still be able to tell when it's a different person speaking like a man or a woman because voice changers don't work too well but it would feel more like they are being watched as an experiment rather than having producers speaking to them and it seeming more personal to them

Interesting that during Sunrise there was an exchange out of a package about a housemate giving birth overseas in one of the seasons. Sonia asked BB for a fact check and he came back almost immediately with a "live" response. So its obvious that there is/was the capability to have the BB voice live.

I guess that it give me hope that the housemates did hear him in the house and this talk of "BB voice being added in at post" is purely for areas where they couldn't capture it or needed to re-record it for the edit. I have cued up the moment in the below video :)

Something I'd like to see changed in the future is the way Sonia announces the votes. Instead of what they're doing now, say "with 1 vote, Angela, you are safe" and follow it up with "by a vote of 12 to 1, it's time to go........Allan, Allan, Allan, Allan, Allan, Allan, Allan."

Format is terrible. Lets just bitch and complain,
Or . Mebbe try and enjoy the fact its back. In any form.

Format is terrible. Lets just bitch and complain,
Or . Mebbe try and enjoy the fact its back. In any form.
I think you’ll find the majority of users here actually really enjoy the format.

This thread has hardly been full of complaints, if at all. A discussion and constructive criticism, rather - which is inevitable given the tweaks and feedback likely to be taken on-board if the series gets renewed anyway.

Back