Skip to main content

Format and production thoughts

I'm curious to see how corona affected the show, on one hand it could make for good tv, cause the game was accelerated, emotions heightened, but then on the other hand it could also make it more boring cause relationships and gameplay didn't have time to occur and develop naturally cause of how it was accelerated.
By all accounts, it sounds pretty dull. Apparently they just paused all “gameplay” for two days while test results came back, so the HMs were free to just sit around, watch movies and whatnot.

The production timeline was only cut short by a couple weeks, if that. So I don’t think it made too much difference. Whether they dress it up and make it look more dramatic on the show is yet to be seen, but I don’t think it was as exciting as it first sounds.

By all accounts, it sounds pretty dull. Apparently they just paused all “gameplay” for two days while test results came back, so the HMs were free to just sit around, watch movies and whatnot.

The production timeline was only cut short by a couple weeks, if that. So I don’t think it made too much difference. Whether they dress it up and make it look more dramatic on the show is yet to be seen, but I don’t think it was as exciting as it first sounds.
Were they still filming while they were waiting for results to come back?

What I am confused with is how there is possibly going to be 24 episodes (including the finale I think??) with only 20 housemates. If the plan is to have 23 episodes set for the actual format and the 24th being for the finale, then thats 6 episodes too many with eliminations every episode. Possibly one episode may not have an eviction and just show the housemates reaction to corona virus? Maybe an evicted housemate will return? Maybe a few non elimination eps with a a possible fake elimination? My point is that if they're going to run with an eviction every night then theres only room for 18 episodes. So whats going on with the other 6?

My point is that if they're going to run with an eviction every night then theres only room for 18 episod
There could be a couple fake evictions with HMs returning. Maybe shit got interesting in the house on a few days to warrant a few non eviction episodes? Perhaps a challenge could be an old school task that spans a few days and they got some interesting conversations and interactions? (Not holding my breath on that as it's the opposite of their current format). Guess we'll have to wait and see.

There could be a couple fake evictions with HMs returning. Maybe shit got interesting in the house on a few days to warrant a few non eviction episodes? Perhaps a challenge could be an old school task that spans a few days and they got some interesting conversations and interactions? (Not holding my breath on that as it's the opposite of their current format). Guess we'll have to wait and see.

I hope the same. I would guess maybe the corona fiasco is its own episode with no eviction given it was 2 days (probably unlikely). They can't possibly do 6 episodes worth of fake evictions and twists, Survivor barley does 4 or even so will drag one out over 2 or 3 episodes (exile twists) but given 2-3 episodes in BBAU's current format is 4-6 days I can't possibly seeing them drag a twist for almost a week. Another thing that confuses me is that if the show only filmed for about 40ish days, and they're only showing 24 episodes then they realistically can't show 3 days in one episode, the math doesn't work. I'm hoping maybe down the later end of the show due to the supposedly rushed production, that we actually see 1 day per episode. I'm rambling lmao, I just have so many questions that will obviously be answered as the show goes on. It's just so strange to be so confused with how this will work.

So far evictions appear to have occured on day 3, 5 and 7 - and the housemates have been referring to "rest days", with the Nomination Challenge, nominations and eviction all taking place on the same day. Therefore it would have been quite easy to speed things up later on just by taking out those rest days.

Audio is being heavily chopped up elsewhere too. Did you notice when Marissa went to "confront" Sarah (which ended up being an eye rolling bait and switch), she yelled out "Sarah!" more than three times but it was all the same audio clip? Then the same video clips from two different cameras were stacked on top of each other. Cheap and tacky editing.

Also I maintain the moment the second lot of housemates had a "near miss" with Allan going to the kitchen was just a split screen edit.

My exact thoughts!! The “Sarah” played multiple times was very obvious, also the reactions like Marissa looking to Sarah to comfort her and Sarah’s facial reaction. I was also perplexed of the perfect timing of the near miss Alan scene. Like how can this content be presenting itself this way, drama / TV ready..

what’s funny is this stuff is very very prominent in other reality shows but BB never had the chance because it was turned around daily.

We should probably start paying more attention to what HMs are wearing to see how many scenes/events are being spliced together. I have to admit I don't pay nearly enough attention.

In episode 3 there was a scene where they were in the bedroom getting ready for the Sunday roast, in the first shot Marissa was wearing her pink dress in the corner near the door then the next shot she was at the other end of the bedroom wearing a sparkly shirt.

My exact thoughts!! The “Sarah” played multiple times was very obvious, also the reactions like Marissa looking to Sarah to comfort her and Sarah’s facial reaction. I was also perplexed of the perfect timing of the near miss Alan scene. Like how can this content be presenting itself this way, drama / TV ready..

what’s funny is this stuff is very very prominent in other reality shows but BB never had the chance because it was turned around daily.
So much agree with these posts, and I do not like it. The editing is unpleasant and seems so stitched up that at times I have suspected that scenes are acted out and directed.

Another example in addition to the toilet scene is when the 4 new housemates arrive in the cage. Just prior to that, is Talia and other housemates saying that she has now gotten used to the new people and is “happy with everyone”. There was general chitchat in this direction and then what do you know the cage with the new housemates is hovering over their heads!

Is this pure coincidence, editing or is there some direction here? I’m in two minds about it.... And I hope to see this cheap thrill not used excessively but, well, I am glad BB is back. A bit nervous because I have a feel that this is not going to be a super exciting season with the format.

My reasoning is that there is no strategy talk after winning a challenge, which will mean we are dealt a hand with paranoia and “why did you vote for me!” desperate pleas. Not terribly good viewing material. We will be left with predictable scenes of housemates not wanting to win the challenges for this reason. It’s a big stuff up in the format andone can only hope production took stock of this during filming and adapts the format. I have my doubts as this season seems bound to a script with no moments of reflection or some kind of agile approach with the crew.

The other thing that gets me in the editing is the rush to get things crammed in, which others have acknowledged in this thread. Cutting to a visual of a housemate leaving the diary room while they are still talking to BB and then threading a second narrative into a scene is jarring. Do they think people have a 5 second patience window for triviality or something? It is disturbing!

I actually find myself really enjoying this new format, and genuinely applaud them for trying something different rather than just directly copy/pasting from another country. Agree that it's hard to get to know everyone, but do feel like as more people get involved in the larger story arcs (like how we got a lot of Sarah the other ep) we'll eventually get to know everyone.

The entire belief the the BB voice is entirely done in post confuses me, it is without a doubt possible to do those effects live.

I'm honestly struggling with the pace sometimes (I think maybe spreading the current eps over 2 1 hours EPs would be a better balance) but also understand that this was all arranged for squeezing in around the Olympics so that was probably the driving factor from the network for the rushness (we possibly would have had 4+ eps a week before the Olympics was cancelled and they've slowed it down now).

I actually think the immediate challenge>noms is good and definitely cuts down a lot of the two-faced groveling "please same me" "we're best friends" "I've got you back if you have mine this week" bullshit I dislike the US format for. So I think that is a stroke of genius.

I'm typing on my phone so I have more thoughts but that's it for now! I still think they've done a ripper job with what they've been dealt, and the results seem to keep supporting that so with a couple tweaks next year is going to be even better!

Edit: sp, formatting

Last edited:
HIYAZ all
I like it being done fast except gets a tad confusing seeing past housemates eg Kiernan but all good.

I'm surprisingly ok with 3 days a week and loving there's an hr and half woot.

Sooo glad it's back .

Liking the sports through the wk too.

So far Kudos and to channel Ten as well.

The entire belief the the BB voice is entirely done in post confuses me, it is without a doubt possible to do those effects live.

Hmm. Judging by the housemates reactions in the episodes, it appears to me as though the Big Brother voice was done in real time.

Hmm. Judging by the housemates reactions in the episodes, it appears to me as though the Big Brother voice was done in real time.

We've never heard a different voice for Big Brother before which is interesting. I remember from the channel 9 era (And probably the channel 10 era, didn't watch so idk) there were a few different voices, depending on the time of day usually. Because obviously one voice actor can't be on shift 24/7. The fact that it's always the same voice means that at least some of the voice is definitely edited in, and possibly all of it. No way the same guy is on shift when the housemates are waking up as well as when they are going to sleep.

We've never heard a different voice for Big Brother before which is interesting. I remember from the channel 9 era (And probably the channel 10 era, didn't watch so idk) there were a few different voices, depending on the time of day usually. Because obviously one voice actor can't be on shift 24/7. The fact that it's always the same voice means that at least some of the voice is definitely edited in, and possibly all of it. No way the same guy is on shift when the housemates are waking up as well as when they are going to sleep.

But how is it that the reactions from the housemates are as though Big Brother is actually talking to the housemates live?

But how is it that the reactions from the housemates are as though Big Brother is actually talking to the housemates live?

Probably different producers talked to them live but then this was changed to a singular robotic voice in post production. But then again 7 said they hired a voice over artist to do Big Brother's voice. So who knows what is true.

No way the same guy is on shift when the housemates are waking up as well as when they are going to sleep, in the same day?

Have you checked to see whether the same guy is supposedly there at sunrise and still there at night time?

I assume his schedule could change on different days which means one day he could be there at 9am, and the next he could be there late to handle an eviction etc.

Despite Bb’s HAL sounding voice this BB is a bit childish IMO

Last edited:
Despite Bb’s HAL sounding voice this BB is a bit childish IMO
Do you mean the sound of the voice itself, or the things he says?

I mean last night came close, but nobody can top childish more than Leon’s BB.

Probably different producers talked to them live but then this was changed to a singular robotic voice in post production. But then again 7 said they hired a voice over artist to do Big Brother's voice. So who knows what is true.
I am watching BB trying to see where the edits are, lol. It makes it interesting to me, because I just can't believe it is real
Someone said we can see who voted for whom, but I didn't find where we can see that :(

PS correction I found the voting :)

Last edited:
I am watching BB trying to see where the edits are, lol. It makes it interesting to me, because I just can't believe it is real
Someone said we can see who voted for whom, but I didn't find where we can see that :(
It’s on 7plus.
Ep1 - https://7plus.com.au/big-brother?video-id=BBRO-UXMXN-5Q9RO
Ep 2 - https://7plus.com.au/big-brother?video-id=BBRO-U4H0U-3K9XO
Ep 3 - https://7plus.com.au/big-brother?video-id=BBRO-GSV27-HMEQF
Ep 4 - https://7plus.com.au/big-brother?video-id=BBRO-LCZLV-6V9HL

Back