Skip to main content

Favourite series of BBAU

What is your favourite series?

• Total voters
For me I always enjoyed the 2005 season and would pick it as my favourite, that was until 2013 Big Brother was over so I thought, why not download one of the older big brother seasons back when it was on network ten, I started off with 2008 since it was the last one before 2012. Honestly after I watched 2008 I thought it was a great season, great housemates, entertaining, funny hosts. When I went back to watch the 2005 season it was also great but not as great as 2008. Which came to a surprise since I always knew 2005 as my most favourite season, but for some reason 2008 comes to a first, really enjoyed it.

I think 2008 is a bit of an under-rated series. It had some great characters like Bianca, Bridgette, and Nobbi.

I think 2008 is a bit of an under-rated series. It had some great characters like Bianca, Bridgette, and Nobbi.
I agree. 2008 was deffintly underrated. The housemates weren't the best but they where better then they casts of channel NINE BB. The hosts weren't great but they had a personality unlike Sonia. The evictions felt like evictions and not like staged crsppy shows. It still had FNL and it still had the old BB format. After watching it online I started to remember the old feeling I used to get of big brother back when I was 8. 2008 is still a good series of BB and it shouldn't be considered shit IMO cause in all seriousness it was t that bad of a series.

True, I guess cause it was the last season of Big Brother people may have started to get bored of it and not pay attention to it as much as the older seasons. All in all network ten destroys Channel 9 with their poor revamp of the show. The hosts were much more focused on the show, dedicated and more fun than the host we have now. I hope Sonia Kruger gets replaced with another host, or even better bring Big Brother back to the place it was born, Channel ten!

Ironically the Logan season was the first I watched in earnest but that was because I dabbled in the previous Fitzy season and made an effort to keep up.

BB in the age of social media is hopeless because every last person is playing to the cameras 24/7. The public's appetite for winners went from real, genuine people in the early years to obnoxious look-at-me types whose only 'positive' quality was the ability to shout over people. Tim was neither smart nor funny, merely loud and insecure.

2003, with lawyer Jo, and that nerdy kid, and Chrissie sticking it to the cop.. It was great, and Reggie was a touching winner.

2005 was a cracher too, although the runner up should have won it. Great to see a man with a plan come through, and for him not to be a good head like Mark in bbuk2015, or a Machiavellian twat, but a clever guy who played really well by highlighting the right aspects of himself.

2013 was great as well, and got my vote for my favourite, because in all honesty my memory of the others is much hazier. I loved the misfit alliance idea.

2003, with lawyer Jo, and that nerdy kid, and Chrissie sticking it to the cop.. It was great, and Reggie was a touching winner.

2005 was a cracher too, although the runner up should have won it. Great to see a man with a plan come through, and for him not to be a good head like Mark in bbuk2015, or a Machiavellian twat, but a clever guy who played really well by highlighting the right aspects of himself.

2013 was great as well, and got my vote for my favourite, because in all honesty my memory of the others is much hazier. I loved the misfit alliance idea.

By nerd kid do you mean Daniel?

2001: Haven't watched yet
2002: Haven't watched yet
2003: Watching so far, pretty good.
2004: Finished. Good season overall.
2005: Haven't fully finished, but great season. Though I didn't like who won the thing.
2006: Really good, lots of twists tho also didn't like who won.
2007: Really good, best season by far. I liked the final four.
2008: It's pretty underrated tho it was a good season.
2012: Alright. Though I didn't like who won.
2013: Hilarious, best winner overall, great season. Fully enjoyed.
2014: Eh, dunno how I feel about it.

Does anyone who was around when the first series (2001) was on remember how it was perceived before it aired?

We're people excited for it or talking about it? Or did it just kind of come out of nowhere?

Does anyone who was around when the first series (2001) was on remember how it was perceived before it aired?

We're people excited for it or talking about it? Or did it just kind of come out of nowhere?

Don't tell that you weren't even a foetus when this went to air? :p

From what I can remember I wasn't exactly jumping out of my skin in anticipation to watch the first ep but rather driven to tune in by morbid voyeuristic curiosity I suppose. I was intrigued by this latest reality tv experiment that would put a bunch of people in a small confined space and filmed 24/7 for entertainment purposes.

Well IMO it turned out to be an unintentionally hilarious live sitcom of sorts. Watching people make fool of themselves is what hooked me into the show.

Whilst others (mostly women) watch it as a kind of live drama/soap alternative wanting to relate and connect on some level to the housemates selected to be in the house, I just watched it reality purely for the lulz.

Critics of the show were divided on it but reviews were mostly positive in the first 3 or 4 seasons.

Last edited:
2001: Haven't watched yet
2002: Haven't watched yet
2003: Watching so far, pretty good.
2004: Finished. Good season overall.
2005: Haven't fully finished, but great season. Though I didn't like who won the thing.
2006: Really good, lots of twists tho also didn't like who won.
2007: Really good, best season by far. I liked the final four.
2008: It's pretty underrated tho it was a good season.
2012: Alright. Though I didn't like who won.
2013: Hilarious, best winner overall, great season. Fully enjoyed.
2014: Eh, dunno how I feel about it.

I agree with your views on 2007. My four faves made top 4 and yes 2008 was really an underrated series. My personal fave was 2004

I agree with your views on 2007. My four faves made top 4 and yes 2008 was really an underrated series. My personal fave was 2004

2004 was great too. It had good characters like Fitzy (Ryan Fitzgerald) in it. I liked the "back to basics" feel that it had.

The housemate that made me go bizarre was Michelle (2007). She was really provoking. I was "lovin it sick" when she left. I don't know how I could of handled her without going out of my mind.

Don't tell that you weren't even a foetus when this went to air? :p

From what I can remember I wasn't exactly jumping out of my skin in anticipation to watch the first ep but rather driven to tune in by morbid voyeuristic curiosity I suppose. I was intrigued by this latest reality tv experiment that would put a bunch of people in a small confined space and filmed 24/7 for entertainment purposes.

Well IMO it turned out to be an unintentionally hilarious live sitcom of sorts. Watching people make fool of themselves is what hooked me into the show.

Whilst others (mostly women) watch it as a kind of live drama/soap alternative wanting to relate and connect on some level to the housemates selected to be in the house, I just watched it reality purely for the lulz.

Critics of the show were divided on it but reviews were mostly positive in the first 3 or 4 seasons.
Wow, thanks. :)

p.s I was just turning 5 when it first aired. My parents probably thought I was a bit young to appreciate such a master piece. ;)

Myself and close friends were all pretty intrigued by the premise of what was about to happen with 2001. Nobody had really done it on this scale before. I remember being pretty excited and anxious to see what it was all about and what would happen when ordinary people subjected themselves to that kind of scrutiny. The fact that it was Australian made also made it interesting from the point of view that overseas reality shows were disconnected from Australian idioms, sensibility and social nuance.

I remember a lot of prejudice, that has me er 100℅ gone away, that it is some new herald of the end of civilization, a harbinger of idiocracy and a new low of lowest common denominator entertainment. (And I think the more BB himself interfere, the more production want the show to be about them and their twists rather than the conversations and politics of the house, then the more I think they have a point.)

It was regarded as a guilty pleasure by my crew.

I seriously had no idea what the show was as I wasn't familiar with the concept but was excited nonetheless in the way that reality tv in general was this new exciting concept.

I'm trying to imagine if social media had been a thing back then. I really think the show would have been different and I think part (but by no means all) of the decline of the show is the climatic difference, something about accessing HMs on social media really changes the vibe for me but I don't know why. Whereas seeing HMs from the channel 10 days on Instagram for example actually still has a voyeuristic component to it for me.

I don't know if it was because I had been studying psych or whether it was marketed in NZ as a social experiment, but I do remember starting to watch it from a psychology perspective in 2001. Also I think it would have been one of the first times NZ had something fast tracked so I think it was being shown the day after it was shown over here.

Back