Skip to main content

Estelle appreacian thread (i can't spell)

Don't know if this has been reported elsewhere... Note it features a pic of Estelle with a smaller stupid one of Ben.

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment...y-says-big-brother-winner-20121119-29lif.html

Norris's win has divided television fans. Not because of his proposal but because he was seen as a housemate who repeatedly picked on fellow finalist Estelle Landy

He even made nasty remarks about her in the grand finale episode, just before winning the $250,000 prize.

''Estelle was without doubt one of the most annoying people I've ever met,'' Norris says, when asked about his behaviour towards her on the program.

But he refutes claims he bullied Landy. ''If people think that's bullying and are labelling it bullying, it's incorrect; it dilutes the real issue. All I did was call a spade a spade,'' the Melbourne accounts manager says.

I honestly can't stand him! Can't believe Australia voted him to win!!!

One thing i noticed is Sarah isn't following Estelle on twitter :p, following everyone else

But he refutes claims he bullied Landy. ''If people think that's bullying and are labelling it bullying, it's incorrect; it dilutes the real issue. All I did was call a spade a spade,'' the Melbourne accounts manager says.

What an arsehole. Of course no one thinks their behavior is wrong. Or would admit it. Plus its a big combination of stuff. The social, workplace bullying describes the situation exactly.

Ben treated her like crap! :( Does he think we r blind? Stay away from him Stelle! what white tulips said.. he is in damage control..

Ben treated her like crap! :( Does he think we r blind? Stay away from him Stelle! what white tulips said.. he is in damage control..

It's like his fans on hear when we tried to discuss it early on. It just seems to be an attitude that it's fine to be an arsehole and mean to people. That some people deserve it because you don't like it. Where only the most extreme situations are when it's wrong.

Yeah, I like a lot about Ben, but he should own up to having been hurtful. It's one thing if he doesn't feel it should be termed "bullying," but "I just call it like I see it" is pretty immature.

It's like his fans on hear when we tried to discuss it early on. It just seems to be an attitude that it's fine to be an arsehole and mean to people. That some people deserve it because you don't like it. Where only the most extreme situations are when it's wrong.

Yeh I agree. I wonder how Ben will cope once he starts getting hate tweets, think he'll crack and say something bad about Estelle? He is that type of person.

I have copied some brief information about bullying from the site below....

http://au.reachout.com/Bullying

The sort of repeated behaviour that can be considered bullying include:

Keeping someone out of a group (online or offline)
Giving nasty looks, making rude gestures, calling names, being rude and impolite, and constantly negative teasing.
Spreading rumours or lies, or misrepresenting someone (i.e. using their Facebook account to post messages as if it were them)
Messing around that goes too far
Harassing someone based on their race, sex, religion, gender or a disability
Intentionally and repeatedly hurting someone
Intentionally stalking someone
Taking advantage of any power over someone else

It's interesting to hear that some people think that Estelle wasn't bullied but IMO many of the HMs did bully her.

It's one thing not to like someone and another thing to treat her in such a way that she could hear them talking badly of her, her input was not considered and knowing they wanted her gone from the house.

Their motive was to get rid of her and they tried in so many ways, is that not being bullied, constantly being picked on for their own satisfaction.

Most of the the Estelle talk was lies, so the dislike the HMs had for Estelle was based on lies, had they taken the time to talk to her and get to know Estelle perhaps they would have seen her differently.

It got to the stage that HMs feared other HMs would stop talking to them if they made an effort to talk to Estelle, if it's not bullying then why worry if HMs are going to give you grief if you want to befriend Estelle?

It's probably very easy now for HMs to look back and say.... no, just called a spade a spade, but if we all did that to each other what would be the point of enjoying life????

We all have faults and generally we let them slide and look at the good points of people but even the good points of Estelle made the HMs dislike her, go figure!!!!!

One thing i noticed is Sarah isn't following Estelle on twitter :p, following everyone else

Sarah who? I have already forgotten her 15 minutes after the finale. How many HM's that have left the show early on are ever remembered anyway? At least your following one of the most interesting HM's, Estelle. :)

That's the logic children use to justify bad behaviour. You call someone names and then blame them for it ("it's not my fault I called her a bitch, she is one!)". Does this mean that Ben would tolerate homophobes yelling gay slurs across the street as a legitimate expression of their opinion of him?

Does this mean that Ben would tolerate homophobes yelling gay slurs across the street as a legitimate expression of their opinion of him?

As a gay person I don't tolerate homophobic slurs but I do realize that taking a militant stance every time one is hurled my way isn't going to accomplish anything... In fact I call myself a fag or variation thereof more than anyone else does...

Whether you want to call it bullying or not the main thing is she wasn't treated very well. Was it really necessary within the context of the game? I don't think it really was. She could sense that it wouldn't come across that well for them, and like most on the outside she didn't expect Ben to win. Though without them showing the faces I think it's quite possible that those who obsessively dialed his number in the last few days would have been far less likely to get him the win.

Whether you want to call it bullying or not the main thing is she wasn't treated very well. Was it really necessary within the context of the game? I don't think it really was. She could sense that it wouldn't come across that well for them, and like most on the outside she didn't expect Ben to win. Though without them showing the faces I think it's quite possible that those who obsessively dialed his number in the last few days would have been far less likely to get him the win.

I agree with you starry, I don't think it was necessary either, not to mention it was really only done to the one person.
Perhaps her saves through out the show clouded the HMs feelings and it became more of.... how to get rid of Estelle!
I wonder with the constant saving of Estelle, that her fans had also spent most of their coin and towards the end had not much left to give.
Yes you maybe right without the faces being shown it could have been a different win.
Either way it made for good viewing, HMs saying they weren't in it for the money and yet in the DR with a change of face, friendships that formed so quickly and the need for an alpha male in the house, so many twists and turns.
Estelle did very well, I'm glad we were able to keep her in the house as far as we did. :D

Last edited:
Simple fact is that you do not treat other people like that. It's not even so much is it bullying is it not. It's that treating others like that is wrong. Plain and simply wrong. There's no justification for it, EVER.

It's simply behavior that is not ok. Even if you could quantify it as not bullying, it is the sort of behavior and the sort of attitude that it's ok to act like that towards others which leads to bullying.

It was something that seemed to come up a lot in those trying to argue about whether it technically wasn't bullying. There was no real recognition of the simple fact that the behavior is wrong.

Back