Skip to main content

Doctor Who

I have to say I absolutely LOVED Rove's projection for a super duper Chrissie extravaganza.....he even included Carey Mulligan and Kylie, and just about every other thing I love. except = he needed to include Catherine Tate and Rose, but he did do a general all companions bit

Well I loved the Christmas special, it was a great send off for Peter. Laugh hard, run fast, be kind … such a lovely speech. And all the kid stuff was perfect considering the furore about a woman Doctor, I took it to mean that us adults might whinge about it, but for kids, they don’t care, and it sends an awesome message about us all being equal. That, or the Doctor’s name being known to children is an upcoming theme. But either way the speech was epic and I loved it. Goodbye to an awesome Doctor. Ooooh, and I was so glad Peter had his long hair, love his long hair.

Bill was incredible in this episode. She played it perfectly and made me want more from her. And then her final gift of giving the Doctor back his memories of Clara … that has to be a precursor to Clara’s eventual return, I hope. I’m a huge Clara fan so this was a very exciting development. Nardole’s return was fun too, but I was all about Clara at that stage.

The main plot point of the 1914 Christmas armistice was beautiful. And Lethbridge-Stewart Senior’s role was just gorgeous. Such an unexpected but lovely twist.

The first Doctor was great fun too, but his lack of respect and awareness was uncomfortable. On second watching it probably worked a bit better, but it seemed like a plot device, rather than an authentic representation of the first Doctor. He is Gallifreyan for goodness sake, they are superior in their understanding of ‘humanity’, they don’t think women should dust and be spanked for swearing. Cheap laughs that could have been avoided, but at least Peter handled them well, which was the point I guess. But in my opinion, disrespect the legacy of one Doctor, disrespect them all.

Mr nutmeg found the chopping around a bit confusing, he’d forgotten about Rusty. So I guess it was one for the fans. But I loved it and I was happy Peter got such an iconic ending. And yep, I cried. Several times.

Then there was Jodie. ‘Ahh, brilliant’ were perfect first words. This is going to be a fun ride … but I hope she finds her TARDIS sooner rather than later. And I hope we love her ... but so far so good, for me.

Hi nutmeg, hope you had a lovely Christmas too. And all the other Whovians on here, it's an extra fun time for us.

But yes, I'm not ready for Capaldi to go yet. He still seems like a new Doctor to me, and I would have loved another year.

I'll be watching later when there are no interruptions (I mean family) around. Followed by Whovians.

I've avoided all spoilers, but the glimpses I have heard are that it's a brilliant episode.
Yes it seems too soon for Peter to depart, the whole thing seems NQR with the break last year. Unsatisfying!! At least he didn't outstay his welcome (as if a Doctor could).

Funny you label your family as The Interrupters lol. The could be a Doctor Who villain. ;)

I have to say I absolutely LOVED Rove's projection for a super duper Chrissie extravaganza.....he even included Carey Mulligan and Kylie, and just about every other thing I love. except = he needed to include Catherine Tate and Rose, but he did do a general all companions bit
I was so disappointed that when the Doctor's memories of Clara were returned, we didn't get a similar outcome for Donna and her fatalistic memories. But I guess she hasn't died yet ... but neither has Nardole. Which I think reinforces the concept of Clara's comeback to the show one day ... Catherine must not want to come back. :(

Rose's music in the show was weird too. What on earth did it mean? Wonder how Billie's career is going, maybe she wants to make a return. As long as she doesn't lisp like she did a couple of returns ago lol.

Reactions: kxk
I was so disappointed that when the Doctor's memories of Clara were returned, we didn't get a similar outcome for Donna and her fatalistic memories. But I guess she hasn't died yet ... but neither has Nardole. Which I think reinforces the concept of Clara's comeback to the show one day ... Catherine must not want to come back. :(

Rose's music in the show was weird too. What on earth did it mean? Wonder how Billie's career is going, maybe she wants to make a return. As long as she doesn't lisp like she did a couple of returns ago lol.

Every time I think, well it's too late to pick up the Donna storyline again, new fans won't even know her... then they throw in an allusion to Rose, so clearly they aren't avoiding Donna for that reason. really hope there's a return appearance someday,

The main plot point of the 1914 Christmas armistice was beautiful. And Lethbridge-Stewart Senior’s role was just gorgeous. Such an unexpected but lovely twist.

I was hugely impressed with Mark Gatiss. In the past he has annoyed me in his acting roles, including his Doctor Who guest appearances under heavy prosthetics. This time his performance was subtke and perfectly judged, and the payoff that he was a Lethbrudge-Stewart was lovely for the fans.

The first Doctor was great fun too, but his lack of respect and awareness was uncomfortable. On second watching it probably worked a bit better, but it seemed like a plot device, rather than an authentic representation of the first Doctor. He is Gallifreyan for goodness sake, they are superior in their understanding of ‘humanity’, they don’t think women should dust and be spanked for swearing. Cheap laughs that could have been avoided, but at least Peter handled them well, which was the point I guess. But in my opinion, disrespect the legacy of one Doctor, disrespect them all.

I agree totally. It was the only off-note in the whole episode. David Bradley's performance was brilliant, but the writing let it down in the moments you mentioned. It's a mistake to confuse William Hartnell as a person, with The Doctor as a character. The "spanking" is almost passable in the context of the Hartnell Doctor having threatened Susan with the same, but anything involving sexism or racism is a misrepresentation of the character. Having recently enjoyed those episodes, Polly was a strong, level-headed character, and the first Doctor had a lot of respect for her. No dusting required.

Also, I was so tired when I wrote those posts, so apologies for a few typos.
I meant to mention that it also didn't ring true that the first Doctor would be scandalised by Bill being gay. We now know what he would have known all along - that Time Lords are gender-fluid, and something such as humanoid attraction would seem insignificant to a Time Lord, rather than scandalous. Again they were channelling Hartnell.

I wish they'd left the sexuality out of this episode altogether. Bill is attracted to women. It only needs to be mentioned when there's a plot reason, ie. she meets someone (like puddle girl). Straight characters don't go around announcing they are straight, so why do gay characters in fiction need to continually tell people?

On the ABC new years eve thingy... "Bajo" was just singing backup in a skit, followed by Rove in front of the TARDIS doing a routine with Hoot the Owl..

26167529_10155894925487707_4631612286626262702_n.jpg

On the ABC new years eve thingy... "Bajo" was just singing backup in a skit, followed by Rove in front of the TARDIS doing a routine with Hoot the Owl..
Watching the repeat now partly to see this....and a lot of old legends

Isaaha wat's it, is shit, he just killed an INXS song by singing it musical theatrical, that is where he belongs
Get some rock advice from Jimmy and John Paul:)

Happy Year Whovians.....I think they gave Jodie those awful trousers to make her sexless,
(for the time being, focus on character not her probably sexy bum in something more alluring sending prepubescent boys a reeling)

Watching the repeat now partly to see this....and a lot of old legends

Isaaha wat's it, is shit, he just killed an INXS song by singing it musical theatrical, that is where he belongs
Get some rock advice from Jimmy and John Paul:)

Happy Year Whovians.....I think they gave Jodie those awful trousers to make her sexless,
(for the time being, focus on character not her probably sexy bum in something more alluring sending prepubescent boys a reeling)

Yes, Isaiah Fireface just doesn't have it.
Jimmy is a legend, even though his voice has given out he still has the spirit. Loved seeing Marcia Hines, Kate Ceberano etc too.

Kate = awesome, she has such a great pop sensibility/delivery great song choices

Casey, oooo she is fabulous doing Nutbush, WOW

This is FANTASTIC, so well done ABC, picked great artists, great nostalgic numbers
Oh no Isiaha .....bad coming again.....killing Crowded House

Kate is a freaky scientologist

Piss off Isiaha painful, bring back CASEY

OOOO one of my favourites repeat tonight, now and again at 12midnight

Doctor Who

'The Shakespeare Code'

ABC ME, 7:50pm, Wed, 3 Jan 2018, 45 minutes

REPEAT

The Doctor takes Martha back in time to Elizabethan England where deadly witch-like Carrionites intend to use the genius words of Shakespeare to free their species from eternal imprisonment.
Series, 2007, United Kingdom, English, Sci-Fi, Adventure, Cult

...hey all... it's great to be back... I managed to watch the Whovian Christmas show when it was screened and it was... it was... IT WAS... fantabulous!... I've got it recorded so will watch it a multitude of times and will then write my opinion on it... I loved it!... and what a way for Capaldi to go out... I will be curious on how I will take to Jodie but will give her my full commitment... I'm sure that she's going to do us and the show proud... good luck to the sweet girl... now to do a lot of catching up... cheers.

...I've watched the Christmas show 4 times now but have not had the time to write my review on it but I intend to write it tomorrow time permitting... I loved the episode... I hope that the high calibre of the writing runs throughout the whole of Jodie's adventures with her run through the series in the future... if it does then we're in for a wild ride methinks!... cheers.

Back