Skip to main content

Doctor Who

I may have to familiarise myself with some of her work. Any suggestions?

I only know her from Broadchurch but she was very good. I have no problem with the choice from an acting or likability point of view, it's just going to take some time to get used to as it will change the whole dynamic of the show. Does that mean the companion automatically has to be a man now?

I'll reserve judgement, but I've got mixed feelings about this. I felt the same with other doctor reveals though and they proved me wrong.

I've always seen the doctor as an older grandfather type. This change could be something fresh and new or it could be jumping the shark.

How this changes the dynamics and what we love about the show is what i'm concerned about. Will they just write the same stories like they've written for Capaldi? Could they make her a flawed character? Will she just have male companions?

I'm sure it'll be good in the end. But i'm not as excited about it right now.

...I am totally shattered by this news... Doctor Who as a woman?... William Hartnell would be turning over in his grave...it's just... wrong!...

DE3eaKTXgAAU_Lc.jpg large.jpg

...this image above basically sums it all up to me... so who will be a woman next time around?... James Bond?... Indiana Jones?... Jason Bourne?... Hans Solo?... you've really stuffed it up now... well done Moffatt... you finally put the nail in the coffin for the show on your way out haven't you?... you've made it so that Chris Chibnall will never make our beloved show as great as 'in your era' haven't you?... you've given Chris a giant hole that he will never get out of... no wonder Chris was reluctant to take on the role of the shows forerunner writer of the series... your massive ego wouldn't allow Chris a solid platform to make this show even bigger and better than in your era as the shows forerunner writer would it?.. your ego couldn't stand thinking that could it?...

...I had a lot of fun toying around with the idea of Michelle Gomez becoming the next Doctor with my inane theories and babblings but not thinking that they would actually do the worst possible thing and actually make The Doctor a female... they have in essence ruined the formula of the show as far as I'm concerned... I am a true Doctor Whovian that would NEVER abandon the show just because of this... I will NEVER stop watching our beloved show because of this worst possible scenario but I just won't be enjoying it or taking it seriously anymore I just know it!...

...creating Missy from The Master was the injection that the show needed at the time but this now?... it is just WRONG!... as you all must know I am all for women being equal with everything alongside men but Doctor Who as a woman just doesn't cut it with me... so!... after Jodie Whittaker finishes her run in the role of The Doctor is the next regeneration of The Doctor going to be Chinese being that they've sold the show to China now?... that's how ridiculous this situation is to me now...I love women but a woman as The Doctor?... I will never accept that!... as I said in my original post... I am so mega pissed off with this... well done Moffatt.. you've just killed off our favourite show on the planet you bastard!... you killed off Torchwood abruptly... you've now killed off the future of Doctor Who but in a long slow death on your way out now too!... you arsehole!... and you once called your egotestical self the 'worlds biggest Doctor Who fan of all time!' didn't you?... you lying bastard!... this show will now have a long and slow drawn out painful death because of you... well done Moffatt... you've killed Doctor Who... may you fester and drown in a fetid pit of Cybermen and Dalek shit from this day onwards you egotestical twat!... I am not a happy man!... cheers.

Reactions: kxk
I only know her from Broadchurch but she was very good. I have no problem with the choice from an acting or likability point of view, it's just going to take some time to get used to as it will change the whole dynamic of the show. Does that mean the companion automatically has to be a man now?

...that's it in a nutshell Meglos... I have no problem whatsoever with Jodie Whittaker as an actress at all... she's been in 'Broadchurch' alongside David Tennant before now (coincidence?) so there is no problem there for me at all but it's the idea that THE DOCTOR is now a female that is pissing me off big time that's all... it's criminal that he has changed gender!...and you must be a far better person than me Meglos because you say that you'll eventually get used to it... I just KNOW that I will never accept it!... no way!...

I'll reserve judgement, but I've got mixed feelings about this. I felt the same with other doctor reveals though and they proved me wrong.

I've always seen the doctor as an older grandfather type. This change could be something fresh and new or it could be jumping the shark.

How this changes the dynamics and what we love about the show is what i'm concerned about. Will they just write the same stories like they've written for Capaldi? Could they make her a flawed character? Will she just have male companions?

I'm sure it'll be good in the end. But i'm not as excited about it right now.

...well done zac my friend... you have just summed up my whole rant above with this one sentence!... this statement of yours encapsulates so many feelings that I have of this news right now... it is DEFINITELY the 'jumping the shark' moment for this brilliant show... and yes... I have ALWAYS seen The Doctor as an 'older grandfather type' since the first day that I saw the first ever 'LIVE' screening of the show as a 10 year old kid in England way back then... I've always seen Tennant/Smith etc as younger versions of the 'older grandfather type' of Doctor too... hence my hatred of the fact that The Doctor has swapped gender... it is just... wrong!... what a great post zac... cheers.

It is difficult Mr Stickyfingers, but the reason why I say I'll have to get used to it is... the only other choice is not watching my favourite show anymore, and I don't want to be one of those sad old fans who does nothing but moan about the old days :p It is what it is, and it might be good. It will certainly be different.
I wonder if it was Moffat's decision, or Chibnall's, or even from higher up in the BBC, as they are all about Diversity these days.

... you've really stuffed it up now... well done Moffatt... you finally put the nail in the coffin for the show on your way out haven't you?... you've made it so that Chris Chibnall will never make our beloved show as great as 'in your era' haven't you?... you've given Chris a giant hole that he will never get out of... no wonder Chris was reluctant to take on the role of the shows forerunner writer of the series... your massive ego wouldn't allow
I'm pretty sure this is all Chris's choice for the doctor. Every report seemed to indicate that Moffatt did not partake in the new doctor's auditioning process. Jodie was also a standout in Chibnall's show which probably helped. However Mofatt did set it up in the narrative to make it more possible.

Hmm
Well, I did check it all at 3.30am, and was so disappointed I just went back to sleep....
Of course I will hang in there, I can never give up DW, but I have a similar feeling to you @Mr Stickyfingers - I feel pissed off right now.
It will be a very difficult world for her to navigate - like show me how sad you are still about Rose honey, and while you are at it all those you have lost.....and loved.

I would cope better if it was a female with more substance, ie Michelle Gomez, Catherine Tate, and a bit more quirky alien like Madame alien from Class, Quill ( watching repeats, OMG what a crap show from DW camp, but she is magnificent, can't get over how bad Class is, missed it before due to family stuff).

First Doctor they have cast that I am very recently familiar with, and I like her in Broadchurch, but that is where she should have stayed.
I pray she is a miracle and wonderful, and at least that they write it well...but not feeling good right now.

Here is something to feel happy about.....

4266E1EF00000578-4701602-image-a-110_1500241756898.jpg

Sexy David Tennant as Peter Vincent, a Las Vegas illusionist and self-proclaimed vampire expert in DreamWorks Pictures' Fright Night

Stickyfingers. Chill out dude. Firstly, this is Chibnall's casting, not Moffat. So don't crucify Moffat over this.

Second, you're whinging about the doctor being female but not explaining what the problem actually is? What exactly is the formula of the show that's being ruined?

I ask that because to me, Doctor Who is simply a show about a charismatic alien character on adventures in time and space solving mysteries and helping people. There's nothing inherently masculine about the role.

The grandfather thing doesn't cut it with me either. In the past 12 years we've seen Chris Eccleston cast at age 41, Tennant at 34, Smith at 26 and Capaldi at 55. And fans loved all of them.

I think the Doctor can be played by someone of any age, race, or gender. All that matters is that you have good writing and the right actor.

I'm excited about this news and can't wait for the Christmas episode and series 11. It's a 50+ year old show! Change is good! Also.... it's SCIENCE FICTION!

What exactly is the formula of the show that's being ruined?................

My personal problem - I fall in love with every Doctor, and yeah that is my personal problem but....I just don't find this actress all that wonderful...still....it is a wait and see what she can bring, hope it is more than Chibnall just having a familiar face to direct.
I just do not find her that impressive and not at all alien like.
I do hope we have a cool regen......her forest intro reminds me of that girl that went missing and then popped up

Now, when Bill returns....will there be a romance?

Interesting choice. I just hope they chose her because she was the best fit for the role, not because he BBC wanted to pander to certain demographics.

I wonder how they'll write the Doctor going on historical adventures? I mean are people from like the 1800's going to believe in respect in a woman doctor considering back then women were treated much worse than men? And if they do respect her is that going to come across as believable?

It is difficult Mr Stickyfingers, but the reason why I say I'll have to get used to it is... the only other choice is not watching my favourite show anymore, and I don't want to be one of those sad old fans who does nothing but moan about the old days :p It is what it is, and it might be good. It will certainly be different.
I wonder if it was Moffat's decision, or Chibnall's, or even from higher up in the BBC, as they are all about Diversity these days.

...I completely agree Meglos... to quote myself from my post above...

...I am a true Doctor Whovian that would NEVER abandon the show just because of this... I will NEVER stop watching our beloved show because of this worst possible scenario but I just won't be enjoying it or taking it seriously anymore I just know it!...

...I will never stop watching it altogether... my heart will still be watching it but my mind and soul will not be watching it with the same 'little 10 year old' eagerness or reverence as I have done for the last 50 whatever years that's all... Moffatt has spoiled that 'wonderment' for all things Doctor Who for me... yes... I hold Steve Moffatt totally accountable for this crap as you will see below my friend...

I'm pretty sure this is all Chris's choice for the doctor. Every report seemed to indicate that Moffatt did not partake in the new doctor's auditioning process. Jodie was also a standout in Chibnall's show which probably helped. However Mofatt did set it up in the narrative to make it more possible.

...don't be fooled by that zac my friend... Moffatt is totally responsible for this schemozzle... you know as the rest of us do that Moffatt has always loved long series story arcs spanning through all the seasons that he has been the forerunner of the series... they may span over a 3 year storyline at times... and making The Doctor a female is a mere extension of this as I will show you below... here goes...

...this was a reference to eventually becoming a female Doctor during Matt Smith's regeneration into The Doctor...

...at the 1:38 mark in this video...

...we see The general transform into a woman as seen in this image below... confirming that Gallifreyans can transform into females...

The_General's_Regeneration_-_Hell_Bent_-_Doctor_Who_-_BBC.jpg images.jpg

...we have this article from 2014...

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/moffat-gender-is-fluid-on-gallifrey-69529.htm

...with Moffatt telling us that...

“No-one says you can’t [have a female Doctor]. It’s actually only since I took over the show that we have said it’s actually possible within the logic of the show.”

He adds: “The very first lines I wrote were Matt Smith checking if he had become a girl and then I put some dialogue in The Doctor’s Wife about it and in Night of the Doctor.

...these are just but a couple of things that I can think of in my state of anger about this at the moment but I'm sure that Moffatt has had this in mind for his 'grand exit and legacy to the 'Whoniverse' being the ego of an extremely vain man... his long story arcs have put Chris Chibnall into a corner that he can't get out of regardless of what Chris says now... he's just putting on a 'brave face' and is just picking up the pieces and is trying to save what he can of the show now that's all... what else can he say and do?... Moffatt has destroyed any chance of Chris pulling the show out of this abyss now!...

...when Moffatt left Torchwood... it died... now that he has left Doctor Who he has ensured that our beloved show dies too... he crashes and burns whatever and whenever he leaves a show... 'Sherlock' will see the same fate eventually you just watch... Moffatt killed off Capaldi/Bill/Nardole/Missy and John Simm's Master... he did that deliberately... making The Doctor regenerate as a female is merely 'icing on the cake' for Moffatt's immense ego that's all... what show has EVER survived with a full cast change over one season?... NONE!... that's how many!...

...Moffatt has deliberately set Chris Chibnall up for the massive fail... afterall... what if Chris DID make the show a bigger hit than he ever did with a new MALE Doctor?... Moffatt's immense ego couldn't have handled that could it?... he deliberately made us wait a whole year or so without the show to set up his 'grand exit'... such is the ego of the man!... why such a massive change just because the show's forerunner is leaving when he isn't even IN FRONT OF THE CAMERA?... big friggin' whoop!... so the head writer leaves big bloody deal!... Russell T Davis went out with quiet aplomb with no grand exit such is the humbleness of the man so why not Moffatt?... you know why?... he became bigger and more important than the show itself in his mind that's why!...

...you have to hand it to Chris Chibnall with putting on a brave face in spite of what Moffatt has done to us all though... he is most likely a bigger fan of the show than Moffatt ever was... and I hope that I am proved wrong and that the show reaches greater and newer heights than in Moffatt's reign... I hope that I'm wrong about The Doctor being female too... as I said... I have nothing whatsoever against Jodie Whittaker as an actress... I just cannot stand what they have done to The Doctor... I hope that the show survives what Moffatt has done to it regardless... but sadly... I can't see that in the state of anger that I'm in at the moment... cheers.

The actress told BBC it was "overwhelming, as a feminist" to become to next Doctor.

"It's more than an honour to play the Doctor," she explained. "It means remembering everyone I used to be, while stepping forward to embrace everything the Doctor stands for: hope. I can't wait."

Jodie told fans not to be "scared" by the idea of a woman playing the next Doctor.

"Because this is a really exciting time, and Doctor Who represents everything that's exciting about change," she said. "The fans have lived through so many changes, and this is only a new, different one, not a fearful one."

Read more at http://thefix.nine.com.au/2017/07/1...hittaker-first-female-bbc#v1IVAJ57r8loWJpb.99

Stickyfingers. Chill out dude. Firstly, this is Chibnall's casting, not Moffat. So don't crucify Moffat over this.

Second, you're whinging about the doctor being female but not explaining what the problem actually is? What exactly is the formula of the show that's being ruined?

I ask that because to me, Doctor Who is simply a show about a charismatic alien character on adventures in time and space solving mysteries and helping people. There's nothing inherently masculine about the role.

The grandfather thing doesn't cut it with me either. In the past 12 years we've seen Chris Eccleston cast at age 41, Tennant at 34, Smith at 26 and Capaldi at 55. And fans loved all of them.

I think the Doctor can be played by someone of any age, race, or gender. All that matters is that you have good writing and the right actor.

I'm excited about this news and can't wait for the Christmas episode and series 11. It's a 50+ year old show! Change is good! Also.... it's SCIENCE FICTION!

..haha!... I'm afraid that it's going to take more than a day for me to 'chill out' about this Will... as I said in my last post above... I don't believe that this was Chibnall's decision at all... he's having to go with it after Moffatt has taken a couple of seasons to set this change up in my humble opinion... and I'm not 'whinging' about the change... I'm 'angry' about the change... and I've explained my reasons for my anger on the change in my post above I believe...

...and in my earlier post I mentioned that The Doctor has always been a 'grandfatherly' person for me personally since I was about 10 years old so seeing my ORIGINAL hero of William Hartnell as a regenerated female is just ridiculous to me... I just doesn't gel with me that's all... okay... I accepted that The Master became 'Missy'... that was fair enough but the leading character was still that 'grandfatherly' Doctor to me no matter whether is was Smith/Tennant or whoever in the role... they were just 'youthful versions' of William Hartnell in various stages of his lives to me... he was still the 'grandfatherly Doctor' to me personally... they have stuffed up that formula for me now as far as I'm concerned... again... for me personally...

...I do agree with you Will when you said "Doctor Who is simply a show about a charismatic alien character on adventures in time and space solving mysteries and helping people"... I couldn't agree more... but I still hold the right not to agree with this decision regardless... I could be a cynic and say why not make the next Doctor a 7 year old Chinese boy with only one leg but that wouldn't be to everyone's liking just as a woman as The Doctor is to me but I'm not that childish ;):biggrin:... (well... perhaps I could be:shy::laugh::biggrin:)...

...as I said in my last post Will... "I hope that I'm wrong about The Doctor being female too... as I said... I have nothing whatsoever against Jodie Whittaker as an actress... I just cannot stand what they have done to The Doctor"... I really do hope that I'm wrong and that my anger abates with the new female Doctor and that Chibnall's hopefully brilliant writing makes it a bigger and better show... I can't see that happening as I said before but I'm the first one to tell you that I have been wrong before in the past about 10,000 times or so before now... I so hope that all of you on here give me a collective "we told you so!" halfway through the next season... and yes... I still hold Moffatt totally responsible for this too... and yes... it's the best SCIENCE FICTION show ever... lol!... cheers.

I didn't want a female doctor.....but then I heard little girls wishing to be the Doctor.....and well, that is a good thing, and being told the Doctor is a boy....and they looked puzzled and still wishing....why not???
So I was more open to this, but I find the actress underwhelming.....but I hope for an amazing storyline, and that story means she has to be young, and she will be vibrant & magical.

Lol, don’t beat around the bush Mr Sticky, tell us what you really think.

So here’s what I think …

This could be really fun. Doctor Who always casts well so I assume Jodie will be awesome in the role. Her Doctor will be just as smart and funny as ever, maybe more so because the production team will really want this to work. They’re going to throw everything they have at this, it might be the best DW we’ve ever seen, here’s hoping anyway.

Sure there are genuine complications, some mentioned here, but I imagine they will be handled with great humour and good-naturedness, plus a little bit of poetic licence, which incidentally, has happened for the entire duration of the show (why does everyone trust the doctor, after all?). So all problems will work themselves out, and with a little ingenuity might be even better.

Gender politics might be fun for a while too, as we know that the new Doctor’s every move and utterance will be dissected and criticised. So will they write her as genderless, will she have an over-emphasis of compensatory ‘male’ traits, or will she have a more ‘feminine’ persona? I don’t think it will matter as long as we like her and the stories are good, but it will still be interesting to see how it plays out. I would happily have watched spin-offs of Clara and Me in the TARDIS, the Doctor’s daughter jetting and running through space, Rose in an alternative universe, and I don’t think gender would have mattered to the enjoyment of these shows, so it doesn’t need to matter here either, unless we let it.

Sure I was a little disappointed when I heard the announcement, because I was picturing Beth Latimer from Broadchurch darting around the universe (she would soo go back in time and rescue her son, but that's another story). But then I really looked at that photo of Jodie’s Doctor and realised there is a lot of depth in that face … that’s our Doctor, and she’s going to be awesome. Ironically, it was Mr Sticky who made my acceptance of a woman Doctor so easy, with your Missy theories. So I thought, if Michelle Gómez could be great, why not Jodie Whittaker?!! So now I’ve embraced it, and unless they completely balls this up, it’s going to be a fun time in the TARDIS.

But I completely understand the uproar, and am dying to see if the DW team can turn it around. As Mr Sticky says, they have been building to this for a while, so that should mean they've had enough time to get it right. And I bet they do.

And now......the questions.....
Can she have babies?
What can she mate with?
Baby time lords - she could mate with Capt Jack and have super kids

How do time ladies........well fertility questions, cycles and stuff like that????

And, because we females are the STRONGER SEX.....what other new stuff will a female bring...????
(Stronger sex is based on science, I have an article points all of the physical stuff females are superior with, pain, infection and other things, better hearts etc, will find it)

Back