Skip to main content

Doctor Who

I don't think we ever did find out.

Just you and me it seems :p

That it sooo annoying!! I was hoping I'd missed a bit. After the ep. last year, I was thinking this year he would be in it, at least for one or 2 eps, living with Clara. I'm *still* waiting for them to bring Jenny back! Seeing the puff of regeneration air leave her mouth had me on edge, but still nadda :(

The main Doctor Who forum is full of people who hate almost every character, but especially Clara. I find it too exhausting, I'd rather keep to the less obsessive chat in here.

I don't think there are any characters I hate, but I do love the funny parts, more so than the scare the bejeezus outta you, and have to know the past 2 years story arc to know whats happening. Donna was my all time fave, then Rory & Amy.

I was just wondering what was everyone's first doctor who story that they saw? Mine was 'The Green Death'. The one with those giant maggots and the huge computers. It was back in 2003, I was 15 years old and browsing the Launceston library looking for books or videos when I came across the VHS copy of 'The Green Death'. Curious, I borrowed it and watched it at home. Instantly I was hooked. It was like there was a light that came into my brain. I just loved the 70's feel of it all, plus the way it structured its story. Also the doctor seemed pretty cool.

...that's a good question there reepbot... as I have said on several occasions... I watched the first ever episode Live as it went to air in England in 1963 when I was 10 years old... the episode was 'An Unearthly Child'... I watched it because as a 10 year old the idea of a child not being of this planet totally fascinated me... what with the strange name of 'Doctor Who' as the name of the show itself and the title of 'An Unearthly Child' mixed with it and the fact that 'Time Travel' was an element of the show was sending us kids (and adults) into a frenzy being that it was in the early 60's and that there had never been anything like this on TV before it was never going to fail... the fact that the Daleks were in the second story really embedded into our TV schedules from that point onwards lol!...

...don't forget too that they were 4 episodes to each story at the time too so we were always waiting about a month to see the end of the story... (and I whinge now because we have to wait a week to see the end of the current two-parters lol!)... so yeah... "An Unearthly Child' hooked me into the series... cheers.

I don't know my first episode, because my dad watched Doctor Who, so me and my brother would have ingested a lot of it in the seventies before actively deciding we liked it. It was definitely the Jon Pertwee era, and I know I was already a fan when I started school at 4 1/2 years old because all my drawings were of daleks and K9.

Peter is a guest on Graham Norton tonight 8.30pm, new episode I believe with Tom Hanks

Doctor Who was always on in our house, I had lots of siblings, much older big bully brother controlled TV.
So all that horrid Pertwee era seemed to be on permanent loop, I didn't really take notice until Leela & k-9 appealed to me.
Before them, it seemed like a crime/chase show I paid no attention to.
And that Escher-like episode and Peter Davies arrival turned me into a proper viewer.
The latest clip reminds me of that awesome old episode, what is it called, everything is a puzzle and weird like a maze?????
Can't wait for Sunday.

I was just wondering what was everyone's first doctor who story that they saw? Mine was 'The Green Death'. The one with those giant maggots and the huge computers. It was back in 2003, I was 15 years old and browsing the Launceston library looking for books or videos when I came across the VHS copy of 'The Green Death'. Curious, I borrowed it and watched it at home. Instantly I was hooked. It was like there was a light that came into my brain. I just loved the 70's feel of it all, plus the way it structured its story. Also the doctor seemed pretty cool.

My earliest memory of Doctor Who was having a nightmare after seeing Alpha Centauri in one of the Peladon stories. Green phallic eyeball-for-a-head monster that's a cross between a cicada and cucumber and with a squeaky female voice to boot, of course it'd give a young boy nightmares.

vlcsnap-2011-02-06-11h37m35s107.jpg

Peter is a guest on Graham Norton tonight 8.30pm, new episode I believe with Tom Hanks

Doctor Who was always on in our house, I had lots of siblings, much older big bully brother controlled TV.
So all that horrid Pertwee era seemed to be on permanent loop, I didn't really take notice until Leela & k-9 appealed to me.
Before them, it seemed like a crime/chase show I paid no attention to.
And that Escher-like episode and Peter Davies arrival turned me into a proper viewer.
The latest clip reminds me of that awesome old episode, what is it called, everything is a puzzle and weird like a maze?????
Can't wait for Sunday.

...I'm watching it now kxk and he spoke about it being Clara's 'final story' so it looks like she is not coming back again at all... he stopped short of confirming that Maisie Williams was going to be his new companion... he seemed so on the brink of saying 'yes!'... although I can't see The Doctor ever forgiving her for killing Clara so it could be a red herring to throw us all off the scent methinks! ;)... thanks for the heads up kxk... very much appreciated sweetness... cheers.

Last edited:
It is going to be interesting to see how the doctor is going to react to future companions now. Especially if they are in any danger (which is par for the course when you are traveling with him.).

Watching Graham Norton now too. Good to see Duran Duran still going.

Speaking of DW actors, Nick Frost was on The Project tonight and Waleed asked him about Doctor Who (he was Santa Claus a few xmases back).

It is going to be interesting to see how the doctor is going to react to future companions now. Especially if they are in any danger (which is par for the course when you are traveling with him.).

...I don't know if it's just me or not but I've had a little niggling feeling that 'The Moff and Co' have spent most of this season making The Doctor somewhat 'light and fluffy' and also 'happy and approachable' too in leading up to Clara's eventual death... he wasn't the 'narky rough-edged hard to read stranger' anymore which in turn was making him a lot less the 'mysterious alien' type of Doctor that we first met... I was always wishing that Capaldi's Doctor could be more of the way he was when he first regenerated rather than the 'light and fluffy' and also 'happy and approachable' one that we have now... perhaps 'The Moff and Co' are thinking the same thing and have used Clara's death as a pivotal moment to re-establish him to what he was?... it's just a theory on my part mind you...

...to be honest ... I think that Capaldi's Doctor will never allow himself to get as close to any companion as he did with Clara... remember... hers was the first face that he ever saw when he regenerated so hence the reason that he had that close relationship and bond with her... he will probably never allow himself to do that again and will never allow another companion to become as complacent as he allowed Clara to do... if anything... he will alienate himself even more so from all his companions from now on so as not to make that same mistake again in my opinion... he will be a lot more stringent...

... it wouldn't surprise me if he had no companions at all for quite a while and when he finally does allow companions aboard The Tardis again that they will only be short-term companions at that... which in turn would leave 'The Moff and Co' plenty of scope to have 'guest companions' such as famous stars if the want was there... now that would be interesting to see from my point of view at least... I really do hope now that The Doctor will become the 'mysterious alien Doctor' along the lines of the 'William Hartnell' days to some extent... I think that's the reason that I like Capaldi's Doctor so much... he reminds me so much of The Doctor as he was from the very first ever opening episode back in the 60's... the trouble with all of The Doctor's since the new series came back on air is that they have become... 'too human'... as far as I've come to observe...

...if anything from Clara's death... I would love to see 'The Moff and Co' explore the 'Gallifreyan' alien side of The Doctor... to see his secret personality that has never really been explored in depth from memory... the strange dark idiosyncrasy's that make him alien... hopefully from my personal 'wish list'... this is where it is heading... anyhow... enough of my babblings... cheers.

...and one other thing while I'm thinking it...I have a really strong feeling that Gallifrey will be coming into the series soon... I have no idea as to why other than thinking that 'The Moff and Co' have been going to great lengths with long story arcs since the '50th Anniversary' days some years ago... for Gallifrey to come back into the Timeline now somehow just seems to be 'so right' at this moment for me... when 'Mayor Me' mentioned 'they'... that's what made me think this... I would love to see if the Timelords on Gallifrey still want to punish The Doctor for his 'past crimes' from when Hartnell's Doctor did a runner... I know that storyline has been touched upon in the early series but not really since the series rebirth... I'm rambling on and on again aren't I?... I'll shut up now... cheers.

Do you guys read digitalspy DW forums?
I like them because they don't fight too much, and have an in depth knowledge of DW stuff I do not posses, they remind me of bits I forget, and come up with some decent theories & guesses.

Some stuff they reminded me of -
Missy has some connection with Clara; the perception illusion thingy - were we deceived along with the Doctor

Everyone to do with DW, actors/writers/producers, whenever asked about clara, repsond in the same careful way -
ie Clara's journey with the Doctor is over, not Clara is dead/gone/whatever.
She may be queen of another universe, she may be Os-anything, not Clara but another impossible incarnation...but my bet is she is going to pop up, there are far too many loose ends about clara.

Now real spoilers are about, the synopsis for the next episode has been broadcast :
Peter Capaldi goes (largely) solo for this penultimate episode. Consumed with anger, the Doctor vows revenge. He finds himself trapped in a castle in an alien world with a mysterious, menacing creature called The Veil (the one who Ashildr had done the deal with that ended up causing Clara’s death), and he must solve a problem at lightning speed to survive.

heaven17_3510134b.jpg
The Veil in Doctor Who: Heaven Sent

Is this really the last we’ve seen of Jenna Coleman?
Possibly not. In all likelihood, the next few episodes (including possibly the Christmas special) will see glimpses of her in flashbacks or hallucinations, at the very least. And let’s not forget that there are countless Clara Oswalds walking the Universe since she was multiplied when she saved the Doctor’s life by jumping into his time-stream in The Name of the Doctor.

However, Jenna Coleman the actress is leaving the series. She may well return one day in the future but we can be sure that we will be, for the most part, Clara-less next year.

Who will replace Coleman?
Doctor Who showrunner Stephen Moffat has told the Radio Times that, while he doesn't yet have a "specific actress", he does have some "specific ideas".

"A new companion gives us the chance to relaunch the show. And we’ve got a really cool new idea about how to do that," he said.

A surprisingly good (for DMail) article about David, now playing a villian, The Purple Man(!?), in a Marvel story

2EDAE15400000578-3336572-image-a-130_1448641460975.jpg

'I'm nothing special': David Tennant on his transition from Time Lord to supervillain in Marvel's latest Netflix hit Jessica Jones
  • Scottish-born actor plays evil physician Dr Killgrave
  • It is the Broadchurch star's first 'Dr' role since he was Doctor Who
  • But Tennant's Purple Man isn't such a bright hue as in the comics
  • 'I love superhero shows myself. I adored The Hulk when I was growing up'
He’s gone from a Time Lord to a troubled detective, and can now be seen as a supervillain in the new Netflix TV series Marvel’s Jessica Jones. Not bad going for a minister’s son from the heart of West Lothian.

But ask David Tennant how it feels to be one of the most famous Scotsmen in the world and he squirms.

‘I’m very uncomfortable with the feeling there’s anything special about me,’ he admits. ‘I was brought up as a Presbyterian and a lot of that is about feeling you’re not worthy of... well, anything really.

The thought anyone should attach any great importance to anything I say is one I feel slightly queasy about, and I always try to remember that if I have any influence, it’s because of a TV show I’ve been in, not because of who I am.’

David was born in 1971 in Bathgate, the son of the Very Reverend Doctor Alexander McDonald. Although his father spent some time as co-presenter of the Scottish Television religious programme That’s The Spirit!, David’s childhood was solidly rooted in religion rather than showbiz; yet he says he’s been hooked on TV for as long as he can remember. ‘I watched everything.
I loved it all; not only Doctor Who, which I was obsessed with, but superhero fantasy stuff, and I’d watch every sitcom too – Some Mothers Do ’Ave ’Em, Never The Twain with Donald Sinden – I grew up as part of the TV generation.’

He says he knew he wanted to act from a young age, though his parents were less than delighted with the idea.

When he was 11 he was spotted in a school play by aristocratic older actress Edith MacArthur, who approached David’s parents and said, ‘One day, he and I will be on stage together.’ Bowing to the inevitable, the Rev McDonald and his wife, Helen, let their son have his way.

He took his first professional role at the age of 16 in an anti-smoking film for the Glasgow Health Board; at 17 he became one of the youngest students ever at the Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Drama, and one of the first roles he landed after he graduated was that of Edmund Tyrone in Eugene O’Neill’s Long Day’s Journey Into Night, the part of his mother being played by none other than Edith MacArthur.

‘To actually be up there acting with her felt like things coming full circle in the best of ways,’ he says.

David – who changed his name to Tennant after finding there was already a David McDonald registered with Equity – had been toiling away on TV for 17 years before he was offered the lead role in Doctor Who at the age of 32, and says now that even he was startled at the sheer breadth of the Doctor’s fan base.
‘It was a bit strange to play him at first because I’d been such an obsessive fan when I was growing up. It was peculiar and disorienting to find myself a part of it.
'Plus, when I was a child, the show seemed quite British to me, but these days there’s a global obsession with it – when I visit the US I meet fans of all ages.’

Arguably more high-profile for David was his role as dour detective Alec Hardy in crime thriller Broadchurch. ‘Alec isn’t the most approachable chap,’ says David. ‘He’s taciturn, difficult, opinionated, and doesn’t smile a lot. Filming Broadchurch involves long stints with a scowl on my face. I’m not generally grumpy in real life, so I quite enjoy being it on the screen.’

Marvel’s Jessica Jones follows the adventures of a retired female superhero, played by Krysten Ritter, who’s reinvented herself as a New York private investigator.
David plays Dr Killgrave, a brilliant physician-turned-supervillain who suffered a chemical accident that, in the original comic book, turned his entire body a vivid shade of aubergine, though he says he’s relieved his TV version won’t be purple.

‘In one of the first phone calls I had about this job I was told, “We’re not painting you purple.” He’ll still be called The Purple Man so there’ll be a lot of nods towards his purpleness, but it will be in other ways.

‘I love superhero shows myself. I adored The Hulk when I was growing up – the comic books and the TV shows. But I always wanted the TV shows to be more fantastical than they were, I was always thinking, “OK, but when is there going to be an alien invasion?

'When is a mad scientist going to invent a death ray?” Jessica Jones is much further out there on that score, so I guess those stories have finally caught up with my desires!’
Off screen he’s been married for four years to actress Georgia Moffett, daughter of the fifth Doctor Peter Davison, whom he met on an episode of the show titled, fittingly, The Doctor’s Daughter.

They live in London with Georgia’s 13-year-old son Ty; their own children Olive, four, Wilfred, two, and an as-yet-unnamed newborn daughter; plus a cockapoo called Myrtle.

When he’s at home he says he likes to keep life as low-key as possible. ‘Actors spend a lot of time not being themselves, so it’s very important to me when I’m not working to have people around I can trust and just have a nice time with.

'I enjoy a good no-holds-barred dinner out, or to be at home with a good box set. But what makes me happiest of all is being with my family. That’s the most important thing in life, really.’

Marvel’s Jessica Jones is available in its entirety on Netflix now.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...-Netflix-hit-Jessica-Jones.html#ixzz3slsHRhk1

Do you guys read digitalspy DW forums?
I like them because they don't fight too much, and have an in depth knowledge of DW stuff I do not posses, they remind me of bits I forget, and come up with some decent theories & guesses.

Some stuff they reminded me of -
Missy has some connection with Clara; the perception illusion thingy - were we deceived along with the Doctor

Everyone to do with DW, actors/writers/producers, whenever asked about clara, repsond in the same careful way -
ie Clara's journey with the Doctor is over, not Clara is dead/gone/whatever.
She may be queen of another universe, she may be Os-anything, not Clara but another impossible incarnation...but my bet is she is going to pop up, there are far too many loose ends about clara.

Now real spoilers are about, the synopsis for the next episode has been broadcast :
Peter Capaldi goes (largely) solo for this penultimate episode. Consumed with anger, the Doctor vows revenge. He finds himself trapped in a castle in an alien world with a mysterious, menacing creature called The Veil (the one who Ashildr had done the deal with that ended up causing Clara’s death), and he must solve a problem at lightning speed to survive.

heaven17_3510134b.jpg
The Veil in Doctor Who: Heaven Sent

Is this really the last we’ve seen of Jenna Coleman?
Possibly not. In all likelihood, the next few episodes (including possibly the Christmas special) will see glimpses of her in flashbacks or hallucinations, at the very least. And let’s not forget that there are countless Clara Oswalds walking the Universe since she was multiplied when she saved the Doctor’s life by jumping into his time-stream in The Name of the Doctor.

However, Jenna Coleman the actress is leaving the series. She may well return one day in the future but we can be sure that we will be, for the most part, Clara-less next year.

Who will replace Coleman?
Doctor Who showrunner Stephen Moffat has told the Radio Times that, while he doesn't yet have a "specific actress", he does have some "specific ideas".

"A new companion gives us the chance to relaunch the show. And we’ve got a really cool new idea about how to do that," he said.

...a great post there kxk... and some interesting possibilities... I can't wait to see which way this show goes... I rarely read other Dr Who websites because of all the hatred and stupidity on them... they are always so negative as far as I'm concerned... that's why I only hang around in here most times... we never argue anything to do with Dr Who... we discuss differing opinions with lots of respect for each other which I find is such a rarity nowadays... and that's a great article that you posted there kxk...cheers.

A surprisingly good (for DMail) article about David, now playing a villian, The Purple Man(!?), in a Marvel story

2EDAE15400000578-3336572-image-a-130_1448641460975.jpg

'I'm nothing special': David Tennant on his transition from Time Lord to supervillain in Marvel's latest Netflix hit Jessica Jones
  • Scottish-born actor plays evil physician Dr Killgrave
  • It is the Broadchurch star's first 'Dr' role since he was Doctor Who
  • But Tennant's Purple Man isn't such a bright hue as in the comics
  • 'I love superhero shows myself. I adored The Hulk when I was growing up'
He’s gone from a Time Lord to a troubled detective, and can now be seen as a supervillain in the new Netflix TV series Marvel’s Jessica Jones. Not bad going for a minister’s son from the heart of West Lothian.

But ask David Tennant how it feels to be one of the most famous Scotsmen in the world and he squirms.

‘I’m very uncomfortable with the feeling there’s anything special about me,’ he admits. ‘I was brought up as a Presbyterian and a lot of that is about feeling you’re not worthy of... well, anything really.

The thought anyone should attach any great importance to anything I say is one I feel slightly queasy about, and I always try to remember that if I have any influence, it’s because of a TV show I’ve been in, not because of who I am.’

David was born in 1971 in Bathgate, the son of the Very Reverend Doctor Alexander McDonald. Although his father spent some time as co-presenter of the Scottish Television religious programme That’s The Spirit!, David’s childhood was solidly rooted in religion rather than showbiz; yet he says he’s been hooked on TV for as long as he can remember. ‘I watched everything.
I loved it all; not only Doctor Who, which I was obsessed with, but superhero fantasy stuff, and I’d watch every sitcom too – Some Mothers Do ’Ave ’Em, Never The Twain with Donald Sinden – I grew up as part of the TV generation.’

He says he knew he wanted to act from a young age, though his parents were less than delighted with the idea.

When he was 11 he was spotted in a school play by aristocratic older actress Edith MacArthur, who approached David’s parents and said, ‘One day, he and I will be on stage together.’ Bowing to the inevitable, the Rev McDonald and his wife, Helen, let their son have his way.

He took his first professional role at the age of 16 in an anti-smoking film for the Glasgow Health Board; at 17 he became one of the youngest students ever at the Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Drama, and one of the first roles he landed after he graduated was that of Edmund Tyrone in Eugene O’Neill’s Long Day’s Journey Into Night, the part of his mother being played by none other than Edith MacArthur.

‘To actually be up there acting with her felt like things coming full circle in the best of ways,’ he says.

David – who changed his name to Tennant after finding there was already a David McDonald registered with Equity – had been toiling away on TV for 17 years before he was offered the lead role in Doctor Who at the age of 32, and says now that even he was startled at the sheer breadth of the Doctor’s fan base.
‘It was a bit strange to play him at first because I’d been such an obsessive fan when I was growing up. It was peculiar and disorienting to find myself a part of it.
'Plus, when I was a child, the show seemed quite British to me, but these days there’s a global obsession with it – when I visit the US I meet fans of all ages.’

Arguably more high-profile for David was his role as dour detective Alec Hardy in crime thriller Broadchurch. ‘Alec isn’t the most approachable chap,’ says David. ‘He’s taciturn, difficult, opinionated, and doesn’t smile a lot. Filming Broadchurch involves long stints with a scowl on my face. I’m not generally grumpy in real life, so I quite enjoy being it on the screen.’

Marvel’s Jessica Jones follows the adventures of a retired female superhero, played by Krysten Ritter, who’s reinvented herself as a New York private investigator.
David plays Dr Killgrave, a brilliant physician-turned-supervillain who suffered a chemical accident that, in the original comic book, turned his entire body a vivid shade of aubergine, though he says he’s relieved his TV version won’t be purple.

‘In one of the first phone calls I had about this job I was told, “We’re not painting you purple.” He’ll still be called The Purple Man so there’ll be a lot of nods towards his purpleness, but it will be in other ways.

‘I love superhero shows myself. I adored The Hulk when I was growing up – the comic books and the TV shows. But I always wanted the TV shows to be more fantastical than they were, I was always thinking, “OK, but when is there going to be an alien invasion?

'When is a mad scientist going to invent a death ray?” Jessica Jones is much further out there on that score, so I guess those stories have finally caught up with my desires!’
Off screen he’s been married for four years to actress Georgia Moffett, daughter of the fifth Doctor Peter Davison, whom he met on an episode of the show titled, fittingly, The Doctor’s Daughter.

They live in London with Georgia’s 13-year-old son Ty; their own children Olive, four, Wilfred, two, and an as-yet-unnamed newborn daughter; plus a cockapoo called Myrtle.

When he’s at home he says he likes to keep life as low-key as possible. ‘Actors spend a lot of time not being themselves, so it’s very important to me when I’m not working to have people around I can trust and just have a nice time with.

'I enjoy a good no-holds-barred dinner out, or to be at home with a good box set. But what makes me happiest of all is being with my family. That’s the most important thing in life, really.’

Marvel’s Jessica Jones is available in its entirety on Netflix now.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...-Netflix-hit-Jessica-Jones.html#ixzz3slsHRhk1

...I so love David Tennant in everything that he does... especially when he shows his comedic side... he has the most brilliant sense of humour... two of my most favourite clips of him are below...

...he will be brilliant as the villainous 'Purple Man' but then again... he's brilliant in anything that he does isn't he?... lol!... another great article there kxk... well done!... cheers.

Back