Skip to main content

Defence-gate...

kbomb247

What are people's opinions on tonight's goings-on? I'm very much on the fence. In my mind, there are 3 issues:

*I 100% understand Priya getting offended about the new boys crossing boundaries with their banter. My best friend of 14 years and I use words like "scrag", "bitch", "moll", "wench " and "idiot-features" almost like terms of endearment lol. Anyone else who called me that would cop, at the very least, a stern tongue-lashing. I also think it was wrong of the original boys to 'misrepresent' Priya. So yes, I don't think she over-reacted at all.

*Travis, as usual, wasn't intelligent enough to understand the argument. It was nothing specifically to do with "disrespecting a woman"

*and here is where I'm on the fence. The version of the argument that Priya relayed to the girls in the bedroom was inaccurate. If you're going to take the moral high ground, at least be honest about why.

If she's offended, then okay, fine, if that's the way she perceived it.

Buuuuuutttt ultimately, she just made it into a bigger deal than it needed to be.

A simple, "hey guys, I really didn't like the way I was treated in the pool, because I felt like you guys were ganging up on me". Everyone apologises, hugs, agrees to disagree.

Instead, she made it into a lecture, stuff about women, men, disrespecting eachother, teenagers.... I dunno, it got messy.

David is right. Ultimately, it comes down to if the people who did it, did it with malice intent. And I don't think they did whatsoever.

What are people's opinions on tonight's goings-on? I'm very much on the fence. In my mind, there are 3 issues:

*I 100% understand Priya getting offended about the new boys crossing boundaries with their banter. My best friend of 14 years and I use words like "scrag", "bitch", "moll", "wench " and "idiot-features" almost like terms of endearment lol. Anyone else who called me that would cop, at the very least, a stern tongue-lashing. I also think it was wrong of the original boys to 'misrepresent' Priya. So yes, I don't think she over-reacted at all.

*Travis, as usual, wasn't intelligent enough to understand the argument. It was nothing specifically to do with "disrespecting a woman"

*and here is where I'm on the fence. The version of the argument that Priya relayed to the girls in the bedroom was inaccurate. If you're going to take the moral high ground, at least be honest about why.

I agree with everything you said. She felt ganged up by the boys regardless of their intent and it wasn't nice to watch. As for her retelling of the argument I think it was more the fall out from what had happened and her being upset rather then dishonesty.

As for her retelling of the argument I think it was more the fall out from what had happened and her being upset rather then dishonesty.

You're probably right.[DOUBLEPOST=1414583527][/DOUBLEPOST]
Also, taking the piss out of eachother is a part of Australian culture, at least the way I know it.

Well, at least for blokes. Not taking eachother too seriously, whether it's hot chocolate or coffee.
of course...within boundaries, with people you know.

You're probably right.[DOUBLEPOST=1414583527][/DOUBLEPOST] of course...within boundaries, with people you know.
Sure, but maybe Priya is the only one who feels that way?

Maybe Tom and Richard felt that their relationship with Priya was at the point where it was fine joking about Priya's defensiveness.

The funny thing is, the way Priya handled it, was, once again, way too far on the defensive.

I can sort of understand it, just speculating here, but I would attribute it to the hurdles she's faced up to this point, and I definitely admire her tenacity to stand up for herself..... it's just not very appealing about something as small as that.

There were misunderstandings from both sides but it's now settled. I liked how Priya was assertive about her feelings though.

Agree. But sit back and watch some BBB factions throw some serious SHADE!!!

chelsea-lately.gif

Nature of the beast. :)

Priya's reaction was completely justified. If it was only Travis and Dave that chanted or whatever, she may not have felt offended.. but the fact that these two strangers joined in and pretty much humiliated her was what made it a big deal.

I can sort of understand it, just speculating here, but I would attribute it to the hurdles she's faced up to this point, and I definitely admire her tenacity to stand up for herself..... it's just not very appealing about something as small as that.

It's funny you say that. Digressing here, but I feel for people who have had to develop traits like defensiveness, fierce independence, etc etc to help them cope with life circumstances, only to have those traits backfire in other areas of their life. I have a former friend who is a Romanian, single, orphaned only child with no living relatives. So literally the ONLY person left in her family, in a foreign (to her) country. She had to become fiercely independent, very decisive and self-serving just to make something of her life. Her circumstances meant that, in her private life at least, she never had to care about or consider anyone else. These very traits also ultimately made her a really shit friend who walked over others.

Sure, but maybe Priya is the only one who feels that way?

Maybe Tom and Richard felt that their relationship with Priya was at the point where it was fine joking about Priya's defensiveness.

The funny thing is, the way Priya handled it, was, once again, way too far on the defensive.

Very true, remember Tom and Richard have been watching Priya as a housemate for two months now - they probably thought they knew a lot about her already ergo they assumed they were closer than what they were

Very true, remember Tom and Richard have been watching Priya as a housemate for two months now - they probably thought they knew a lot about her already ergo they assumed they were closer than what they were
Priya was in the pool joking around with a couple of the girls and the 4 guys, and then after the "defence, defence" chanting was a bit of debate/banter going on when David replied to some comments she had made but I think what really got Priya upset was after Tom was the rude when he told her to keep her mouth shut, him and Travis were supposedly 'joking' around defending David...

Priya felt that she could talk to David to clear the air and they sorted things out, they agreed to chat Travis, Richard and Tom to bring the issue out into the open.

There seems to be more about what happened from what other HM's mentioned later...BB only shows us parts of their convos

David acting like Priya - who is around Aussie teenagers everyday and has been living here for years and years - does not understand Australian culture was condescending. David is terrible, and always tries to deflect the problem onto someone else.

Priya simply said that she fell asleep drinking hot chocolate, as her drinking coffee and falling asleep seems silly, and David starting chanting "Defense". So uncalled for. I get David is trying to be funny, but it does not come off like that. I am happy PRISUS stood up for herself and took a direct approach instead of being passive about it. You could hear in her voice during the kitchen conversation that it really did effect her.

Back