Skip to main content

Channel 4 "in talks" to bring back BBUK

Brekkie

Staff member
A throwaday comment in an interview or a sign that Big Brother could one day return to it's rightful home:

EXCLUSIVE: Channel 4’s director of programs Ian Katz has said he would consider bringing back Big Brother, and revealed that youth channel E4 is conducting a major hunt for a new reality show.

In an exclusive interview with Deadline, Katz said he would not dismiss out of hand an approach from Endemol Shine Group producer Initial after Viacom’s Channel 5 ditched the longrunning reality show last year.

Asked if he would revisit Big Brother, he said: “I’d keep an open mind about pretty much any format.” Katz later added: “One of the things we’ve learned in the last few years is how effectively almost any historic format can be rebooted in really interesting, creative ways.”

I do think it'll return to C4 one day, but not quite yet - and I think it needs a few more years off screen. C4 have The Circle for now - though still not officially recommissioned rumour is it'll air twice a year for the next couple of years, by which time that franchise may begin to burn out and resurrecting Big Brother could be the obvious next step. And as much as I'd like to see the UK give the BBUSA/Canadian format a try, the most successful new UK reality show of the year was the fairly stripped back Race Around the World, a show that felt like the reality TV of two decades ago. At the moment I think stripping BB right back to basics might be the right option.

Following the publication of this story, Channel 4 walked back Katz’s comments. A spokeswoman said: “There are no plans for Big Brother to return to Channel 4.”

Reports in tomorrows papers that C4 have been in talks to bring at least the celebrity version of the show back.

Seems like a good place to start... If they’re successful with CBB I can’t see why they wouldn’t want to give another civilian series a try... That said whatever they do they better not have Emma Willis presenting both The Circle and CBB. To be honest I think both Marcus and Emma have served their time so a complete re-fresh is in order...

I think anyone associated with the C5 version on screen has to go. Of the three I'd have Rylan back over overrated Emma and long should have gone Marcus, but I don't think he's quite right for the main show and I don't think there would be any spin off show (most other reality shows have now axed their spin-offs).

Although if it is civilian BB I think a new start is needed I'd be happy enough with Davina back if it's Celebrity Big Brother only.

I think anyone associated with the C5 version on screen has to go. Of the three I'd have Rylan back over overrated Emma and long should have gone Marcus, but I don't think he's quite right for the main show and I don't think there would be any spin off show (most other reality shows have now axed their spin-offs).

Although if it is civilian BB I think a new start is needed I'd be happy enough with Davina back if it's Celebrity Big Brother only.

Not sure about Rylan... I can’t stand his over the top presenting and felt that BBOTS more often than not was all about him rather than the show itself.

I’m also not sure if Davina would return if they offered her a full time gig. I think she’s made it clear when she left the show the first time it was for good. Also as much as I’d love to see her back I’d love to see someone new put their own stamp on the role.

If I could have one person return from the previous era it would be Paul Osbourne... The final two series he was creative director for were outstanding and a true return to form... I’d love to see what else he’d bring to the format.

I LOVE Emma! Rylan, not so much but Emma brought the same warmth and genuine live for the show that Davina did. Emma is a fan as well as the host, so she’s relatable.
I was shocked that the CBB version was axed. The Poms love watching their celebs do pretty much anything.

If Emma really was a fan she wouldn't have gone anywhere near what the C5 version became.

I’m shocked she stayed with it as long as she did... That said I can’t imagine who C5 would have hired to replace her.
I’m glad she stuck around because it meant there was no chance of Rylan ever taking over the main show.

Back